Sparring Partner with a BAD TEMPER Advice

First up, if you can't avoid a sweeping right you can't fight for shit. Try learning to defend them. Second, drop and pop. As he is charging at you, plant all your weight on your back foot and throw a right hand as hard as you can. Also learn to throw devastating body shots, they soothe the savage beast.

What did this guy say about our kind? Gonna call up the crew for back up.
angry-pigeons.jpg

How do you guy handle Sparring Partners with a bad temper/frustration?

It was my first time sparring at my new gym, I'm quite novice nothing spectacular. Had a couple of light contact Sport Jiu Jitsu fights. So I'm not a killer on the feet.

I sparred this guy, I was told later he was presumably new and gets frustrated easily.

But here's my problem with that. So this guy doesn't really spar, he just plays patty cake as a lot of these guys told me.

But as I was doing my typical, light, fast technical sparring. He starts to get frustrated to my surprise and says I am going hard. He then proceeds to say "I'm going hard" and suckers me with a huge haymaker. I find this totally unacceptable in any situation. I tell him to chill down and I tell him I'm not going hard whatsoever, another member even had to interfere after he suckered me clean with a haymaker. A fucking haymaker for christ sakes.

I just need a bit of advice, should I not spar with this individual based of these things? I am going to go have a chat with him tomorrow to try and sort the things that happened in the ring. It's a new gym and I don't want to be the bad guy you know.

tl;dr; sparred with some newbie today who doesn't really understand the concept of light technical sparring, he gets frustrated and straight suckers me as we're sending words back and forth to eachother. I need advice, should I avoid him based off this considering it does not further my game and it was totally unacceptable what he did? Should I speak to my coach? Should I speak to him? I refuse to take free haymakers because of this guys temper, I need my braincells for comp.
Either don't spar him at all or smash his head in.

Hitting harder than you might think is not uncommon. If you know for a fact you didn't hit hard, just have an honest discussion with the guy, like "hey, what should we do during sparring, how should we approach it?". Not you telling him what to do or not do, get him involved in figuring out how to have a good sparring.

If he's still hitting hard, avoid him and talk to the coach.

Having said that, there are always some people like that. We had one in our boxing gym, and eventually when I would step into the gym and see him, I simply wouldn't spar anymore that day. I love hard sparring and I don't mind blocking and sometimes taking hard punches, but not every single week. The guy must have had some personal issues, it wasn't healthy for him to take all the punches to the head week after week, but personally I stopped playing along. Plenty of other sparring partners.

Man I miss some of the last gen posters. @Soul Rebel 2 where art thou my man??

Yeah it can happen. I've had a few guys telling me I went too hard when the sparring got competitive, without really noticing how it escalated to that point. Probably why some people were trying to actively knock me out at certain points. I always felt they were being unreasonable, but I guess in hindsight I was to blame too.

Maybe stay away from sparring the guy for a little while and let the situation cool off, then perhaps see if you can talk it out with him in a few weeks.

Hahaha, settling into a new job so I haven't really had the free time but things are loosening up now so I'll be on more.

Hahaha, settling into a new job so I haven't really had the free time but things are loosening up now so I'll be on more.
Nice to hear! Hope everything is going well.

Walk away I would say. You will always meet nutcases like him and there is no point wasting your precious time with them!
Sparring is for you to put the techniques in motion so avoid idiots like him and utilise your time wisely! :)

In general I expect a coach to detect someone sparring not as planned because my own perception might also be twisted and any experienced coach has an effective way of dealing with this kind of problem. So if you trust your coaches I would just continue with sparring and make the best out of it. And if you dont trust them well its the wrong gym.

Some coaches stop it immediatly and have a talk, others pair the headcase up with an experienced boxer or spar him themselves...etc. But in these stories its not always the "mean" partner who is the problem. Sometimes a beginner just cant take punches (mental block) and victimizes himself to deal with it.

Should let him know you hit as hard as you're willing to be hit, and then just put it on him.

People like that need hard sparring with a fighter in the gym.

Honestly I think it is good sometimes to meet and spar guys like that. Sure it is not safe, but if you can keep your cool and do well under pressure then you are maturing in the fight sports.

I have had lots of bad experiences in sparring with people going all in, but once in awhile I rather have a reality check.

At a young age puppies learn from one another a skill called 'bite inhibition.' If one were to bite too hard, the other yelps - play time is over. Soon enough the one biting hard gets the message and corrects his bite.

The guy seems to be mentally stunted in terms of his 'bite inhibition.' If i were you i'd avoid this guy. I'm not sure as to your background but if you were to ask me there is really no reason to be getting seriously hurt in sparring especially if you're practicing martial arts purely for hobby or self-defense.

By circumstance if you're forced to spar with this guy again in the future and he hits too hard. I'd simply stop the sparring match and go for a restroom break or something. Best of luck.

Honestly I think it is good sometimes to meet and spar guys like that. Sure it is not safe, but if you can keep your cool and do well under pressure then you are maturing in the fight sports.

I have had lots of bad experiences in sparring with people going all in, but once in awhile I rather have a reality check.
Its good when you're both on the same page, and agree to do hard sparring.

Problem is, they sandbag that shit, talk polite or act nice in the locker room and leading up to the spar, then pull a bullshit on you. I've seen it happen countless times, journeyman of the gym is looking to work on something specific and not have too hard of a day (kind of like a deload week on intensity), gym hero talks nice, then spar time comes he's trying to shuffle the deck to one up the prospect fighter.

By circumstance if you're forced to spar with this guy again in the future and he hits too hard. I'd simply stop the sparring match and go for a restroom break and take a shit in his bag. Best of luck.
fixed

Back