Sparring Partner with a BAD TEMPER Advice

I have only seen 1 newbie with that attitude in my gym. 230-240 lbs of bodybuilder muscle, comes wearing soccer shinguards. We were doing light sparring with leg kicks and how to take smaller hits, so everyone was going super light. This dude wails away on my leg twice. I tell him to chill and he does the same thing again. Next round does the same thing to a girl who had been training couple of months and she actually stopped sparring with him mid round because of his control issue.

Next round one of the senior coaches spars him and starts teeping all his roundhouses away. Just stands there, teeps his kick and teeps him backwards. The fact that the coach was under 150lbs added insult to injury. He never showed up for 2nd class.

lol, wut?

So was it sparring or just drilling? If sparring, your coach lets fresh people spar right away? Even if its light, we have the typical no-sparring-until-3-4-months-in.

lol, wut?

So was it sparring or just drilling? If sparring, your coach lets fresh people spar right away? Even if its light, we have the typical no-sparring-until-3-4-months-in.
Lots of places have people spar right away.

Usually not a good idea though...

Usually not a good idea though...

Yeah.. thats true.

Our reason for the delay is:
  1. person needs time to know the techniques so they won't end up injured
  2. Knowing to play well with others

Recently one of our BJJ guys (doesn't do MT/striking, just BJJ) had a knee issue recently, and for some reason decided to do striking in the meantime as a form of active recovery. He's never done shadow boxing, foot work, or anything significant, only a few classes here and there hitting pads/bag in the past year. He decided to try out light sparring with some of the more slightly exp. members (open session, less chance for gym wars, and injuries), and it was bad.

Even though it was fairly light, he was pretty much a heavybag: crossing his feet when moving, turning away and getting hit on the side, weak and non-existing guard, shelling up wrong, etc.

Of course he is very very green so I don't blame him, but this is an example of someone who needs the techniques and drills prior to sparring.

At the end of the day, everyone you train with at the gym is your training partners, they're the ones who help you develop and grow, its stupid to try to injure and take them out. Its the equivalent of playing basketball and trying to injure the point guard and forwards out of ego.

Gyms just have noobs sparring way too early these days because everyone thinks they're championship material. A guy like that shouldn't be sparring with anyone at this point in his development. This is the coach's job to sort out, not yours. If he doesn't sort it out, he's not much of a coach and you should find a new gym.

Talk to your instructor. If he-she doesnt have a solution then it may be time to look for another gym.

If thats not an option then your just going to have to deal with it one way or another.

I was sparring today in kickboxing and me and my partner went hard after I went to compliment him on his technique and he took it as a threat he started cussing at me and saying he was gonna knock me out I did not mean any disrespect and this guys still mad at me even though the coach straightend things out I don't get why people can't communicate and let you know if you are going too hard it's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Man I miss some of the last gen posters. @Soul Rebel 2 where art thou my man??

I was sparring today in kickboxing and me and my partner went hard after I went to compliment him on his technique and he took it as a threat he started cussing at me and saying he was gonna knock me out I did not mean any disrespect and this guys still mad at me even though the coach straightend things out I don't get why people can't communicate and let you know if you are going too hard it's not rocket science.
Yeah it can happen. I've had a few guys telling me I went too hard when the sparring got competitive, without really noticing how it escalated to that point. Probably why some people were trying to actively knock me out at certain points. I always felt they were being unreasonable, but I guess in hindsight I was to blame too.

Maybe stay away from sparring the guy for a little while and let the situation cool off, then perhaps see if you can talk it out with him in a few weeks.

Yea I was planning on avoiding him and I do admit I went hard but it was one of situations where it didn't feel like it I don't do it usually I go pretty light but he didn't have to act that way in the end I'll see how it goes I guess.

Man I miss some of the last gen posters. @Soul Rebel 2 where art thou my man??

Yeah it can happen. I've had a few guys telling me I went too hard when the sparring got competitive, without really noticing how it escalated to that point. Probably why some people were trying to actively knock me out at certain points. I always felt they were being unreasonable, but I guess in hindsight I was to blame too.

Maybe stay away from sparring the guy for a little while and let the situation cool off, then perhaps see if you can talk it out with him in a few weeks.

I didn't take you for being "that" guy........

People usually avoid me in the gym, especially during clinch work. I really don't understand why....... It might be the halitosis or the fact I don't wash my gym gear for weeks on end, I am still not sure..........

I didn't take you for being "that" guy........

People usually avoid me in the gym, especially during clinch work. I really don't understand why....... It might be the halitosis or the fact I don't wash my gym gear for weeks on end, I am still not sure..........
Once upon a time.

How did you escape the "that" guy syndrome?? Move gym......
No I just got older and smarter. I was never actively trying to concuss anyone, but I was just very competitive and prideful which lead to me escalating without noticing.

No I just got older and smarter. I was never actively trying to concuss anyone, but I was just very competitive and prideful which lead to me escalating without noticing.

One Bangs without notice......

There's this dude at the new gym I do boxing at and he has a short temper too.

When I spar him and hit him flush with a few jabs he'll begin to get frustrated and as a result he starts adding more power in his shots. He's a short, stocky guy who never throws anything other than hooks and uppercuts (no jabs or crosses ever).

This normal?

When I spar him and hit him flush with a few jabs he'll begin to get frustrated and as a result he starts adding more power in his shots. He's a short, stocky guy who never throws anything other than hooks and uppercuts (no jabs or crosses ever).

This normal?
He sounds like a dumbass

If he keeps that up I wouldn't be surprised that he fades out of the sport after a year or two

This normal?

Yes...short guys tend to be mad at the world and have anger management issues. o_O

Back