Sparring other fighting styles is the best way to improve your striking

Conor McGregor throws 100% TKD kicks, including the low kicks.

Actually, I can hurt my sparring partner...
He is a Serbian national champion (amateurs) in Kickboxing
Anyone can hurt their sparring partners or fighters in sparring. Sparring isn't a fight, its practice, fighters get injured from dip shit gym heros also. Top guys are looking to work certain things where inexp'd ones are just looking to win, and injuries happen.

Anyone can hurt their sparring partners or fighters in sparring. Sparring isn't a fight, its practice, fighters get injured from dip shit gym heros also. Top guys are looking to work certain things where inexp'd ones are just looking to win, and injuries happen.

This guy goes full contact against me.

A Muay Thai roundhouse mid or high section kick swings over the leg like a bat, is slower, and makes you exposed with your back to your opponent. A Taekwondo or Kyokushin kick is chambered and lashes out like a whip, while still retaining the possibility to kick with the shin, as some TKD and Kyokushin guys prefer to do.

It's the muay thai kicks that are non - chambered and they are notoriously slower than chambered ones.

They get to the head faster I said, by the time your knee is in line with the opponents head the thai fighter has already kicked them in the head, you then have to wait for the chamber to snap open, this is the additional motion that makes the TKD kicks slower to get to the head.

You torque the hip turn the body which turns the upper leg and then unfold the chambered lower leg 3 parts

A thai boxer turns the body and swings the leg (2 parts) he doesn't have to wait for a chamber to unfold which is a very fast action but takes additional time

The thai boxer is faster to reach the head and lands with more power, thai boxing is far superior to TKD in nearly every way this is OBVIOUS to all but the dullest minds when they see the RESULTS of the MAJORITY of Thai boxers compared to the MAJORITY of TKD fighters when they fight one another

But hey stay in your dream world where TKD is better or equal or different or equal/better if combined with other arts and no longer TKD, this is your ego your dream world of delusion without it youre a tit that wasted loads of time and cash on BS and isnt in the slightest bit an effective fighter

Last edited:
Thats because he 's a beginner level at Taekwondo. Guys like Denis silver have finished fights with spinning sidekicks

Denis has much more kickboxing than TKD in his arsenal and trained that also much more back before his mma days. He was in the WAKO back then and that was his main stand up arsenal.

I would like to say TKD can be a valuable asset but even at the highest level (I watched Korean national team once live) its obvious they only train for points and their allowed target zones. This just kills your power, stability and distance. Also they are used to just fall into the punch distance of their opponent because its so kick heavy and then try to kick each other in the infight with sissy contact kicks. Punching is nonexistent regarding technical skill. All very bad habits for mma or any fight at all.

I would never recommend TKD as a basis for stand up. Regarding kicking much more MT, Kickboxing then Kyukushin and even Sanda before TKD. It definitely helps with agility and flexibility.

I am sure Joe Rogan has a different opinion :D

Denis has much more kickboxing than TKD in his arsenal and trained that also much more back before his mma days. He was in the WAKO back then and that was his main stand up arsenal.

I would like to say TKD can be a valuable asset but even at the highest level (I watched Korean national team once live) its obvious they only train for points and their allowed target zones. This just kills your power, stability and distance. Also they are used to just fall into the punch distance of their opponent because its so kick heavy and then try to kick each other in the infight with sissy contact kicks. Punching is nonexistent regarding technical skill. All very bad habits for mma or any fight at all.

I would never recommend TKD as a basis for stand up. Regarding kicking much more MT, Kickboxing then Kyukushin and even Sanda before TKD. It definitely helps with agility and flexibility.

I am sure Joe Rogan has a different opinion :D

Sigh. WAKO Championships primary competitors are TKD stylists, among them Denis Siver.

Sigh. WAKO Championships primary competitors are TKD stylists, among them Denis Siver.

You dont have to sigh. WAKO has completely different rules hence why its a different sport. Its NOT TKD at all. You know thats why its called kickboxing and the people training it kickboxers.

Watch some WAKO matches before you sigh next time.

You dont have to sigh. WAKO has completely different rules hence why its a different sport. Its NOT TKD at all. You know thats why its called kickboxing and the people training it kickboxers.

Watch some WAKO matches before you sigh next time.

Ever heard of ITF Taekwondo? Check out those rule sets.

In my experience, if you only spar against people in your club you will get into a meaningless circle and not truly progress as a fighter.

We had a kickboxer join our ITF TaeKwondo club and he has shown to me how much I need to work on boxing defence...

Have you found the same experience?

Yes, sparring vs. other styles helps a lot. TKD's usually find out how lacking their hand striking skills are when sparring vs. equally trained Kickboxers/MT. KB's and MT's can also pick up kicking strats and techs from TKD's.

I train mostly MT and have picked up some good techs from Wing Chun and Kung-Fu and they work very well vs. pure MT's from my gym at my level and above (which includes low to med level, pro fighters).

Kyokushin my ass. Wonderboy throws kickboxing kicks, which are a combination of TaeKwondo and muay thai

I have never heard that Wonderboy ever associated with TKD. He's an American KB guy, which mixed Karate with boxing back in the day.

"Thompson is the Head Instructor of the children’s karate program at Upstate Karate in Simpsonville, South Carolina. He is the oldest son of Ray Thompson, who is his trainer and manager. Thompson graduated from high school in 2001. He has been studying martial arts since his pre-teens and holds black belt ranks in Tetsushin Ryu Kempo,[4] American Kickboxing and Jujutsu.[4] He studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlos Machado who is also his brother-in-law."

I have never heard that Wonderboy ever associated with TKD. He's an American KB guy, which mixed Karate with boxing back in the day.

"Thompson is the Head Instructor of the children’s karate program at Upstate Karate in Simpsonville, South Carolina. He is the oldest son of Ray Thompson, who is his trainer and manager. Thompson graduated from high school in 2001. He has been studying martial arts since his pre-teens and holds black belt ranks in Tetsushin Ryu Kempo,[4] American Kickboxing and Jujutsu.[4] He studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlos Machado who is also his brother-in-law."

Kickboxing also has TKD kicks. But Hey, you probably know more than Bill Wallace who says so.

Kickboxing also has TKD kicks. But Hey, you probably know more than Bill Wallace who says so.

No, Bill Wallace said he himself used them, because he personally had a TKD background.

Kickboxing wasn't founded on TKD just like it wasnt founded on Kung Fu, even though kicks from Kung Fu or most other styles were allowed in the ruleset.

Your entire debate strategy is to exclusively use examples of outliers as if they are the norm. I'm sure other people have noticed this as well.

No, Bill Wallace said he himself used them, because he personally had a TKD background.

Kickboxing wasn't founded on TKD just like it wasnt founded on Kung Fu, even though kicks from Kung Fu or most other styles were allowed in the ruleset.

Your entire debate strategy is to exclusively use examples of outliers as if they are the norm. I'm sure other people have noticed this as well.
I thought Bill was a shorin ryu black belt.

Back