Spanish-American War: Amazing Podcast

Anung Un Rama

Idol of Millions
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" on Teh 'Dog the last year, so I tried it out as I travelled over the holidays.

From the title and brief description of this podcast, I was expecting one built around WWI, but that was not the case. Its about the Spanish-American War. Absolutely riveting.

IMO, its a great podcast for understanding the transition of the US from the vision of our forefathers to where we are today.

4 hours no cliffs?

4 hours no cliffs?

It is a very comprehensive retelling of the Spanish-American War and all the geopolitical and historical events that framed and even lead to the SA War.

-Prior to the Spanish American War, the US was not considered a World Power. In fact, due to our isolationist policies and our recent Civil War we were an afterthought to European empires.
-Spain is in the last days of its 400 year Empire.
-Cuba, a pivotal and strategic island for the US, is at stake; as is our Magna Carta.
-The West is explored, and our isolationist country now begins to rationalize imperialism.
-The Philippine-Ameican War reminds our country of the horror of war that leads us to adopt more of an "invisible hand" in foreign affairs moving forward.
-There are potential conspiracy theories in how the Spanish-American War develops.

Last edited:
Didnt the Spaniards lose their empire way before the Spanish American war?

Their american colonies revolted not long after the 13 colonies broke away from England. They were independent long before American Civil War. Lot of time between Murican Civil War, and Spanish Murican war. They were using guns with cartridges, and repeating arms in the later as opposed to muzzle loading in the former. And the navies had steam power.

You heard about the WWI podcast cause thats his most famous one. Check it out bro - Blueprint to Armageddon

Their american colonies revolted not long after the 13 colonies broke away from England. They were independent long before American Civil War. Lot of time between Murican Civil War, and Spanish Murican war. They were using guns with cartridges, and repeating arms in the later as opposed to muzzle loading in the former. And the navies had steam power.
That still had Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines at the time of the S-A War.

The post-civil war occupation only just ended in 1871.

We dominated in this war.

That still had Cuba, Peorto Rivo, and the Phillipines at the time of the S-A War.

The post-civil war occupation only just ended in 1871.

We dominated in this war.

yeah I say the Spaniards were has beens by the time they fought us.

Agreed, but as far as empires go, we were a never was up until this point.

Never was LOL. I called a kid in high school that once, a never was. He was trying to mess with me and put him down hard.

But we did have a large landmass. We stretched from New Jersey to California, and I believe Alaska was ours. In terms of land area, we must have been the fourth biggest country in the world after United Kingdom, Russian Empire with Siberia, and Qing Dynasty China.

Never was LOL. I called a kid in high school that once, a never was. He was trying to mess with me and put him down hard.

But we did have a large landmass. We stretched from New Jersey to California, and I believe Alaska was ours. In terms of land area, we must have been the fourth biggest country in the world after United Kingdom, Russian Empire with Siberia, and Qing Dynasty China.
But still isolationist, which is really the theme of the podcast.

Seriously awesome stuff and I feel like much of the WR should listen so they can contextualize current events

I was unaware of Carlin until now so thanks for the heads up TS. I definitely plan on checking out more of his podcasts.

He talked about how after the frontier was designated as officially closed in 1890 some in the US sought to emulate the model employed by the established powers of the day which included colony building. Cuba was see as a natural defense for the entire Eastern seaboard as well as the key to controlling the Carribean. He mentions that even some of the Founders, Jefferson for instance, saw Cuba as a strategic location to the future America.

I've heard others talk in the past about when a nation secures its land it can begin to project itself at sea. In a way this shift from a more inward focused nation to a nation projecting outward as Carlin described, constitutes America's "Crossing of the Rubicon" Carlin notes that the U.S. was an after thought to the existing empires of the day. I guess the difference with the Roman Empire and the American Empire is Rome was well established, while no one seemed to see us coming.

When I read the title I was all but certain it was Hardcore History

He talks about that too and basically says the Spanish empire was supported more by its historical reputation than actual military might. He sees this war as the last nail in the coffin of that empire
You heard about the WWI podcast cause thats his most famous one. Check it out bro - Blueprint to Armageddon
That's a really good one. The Wrath of the Mongols is also really. good. Both are very different too since one spans a period of decades and the other only 4 years.

I've heard a lot about Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" on Teh 'Dog the last year, so I tried it out as I travelled over the holidays.

From the title and brief description of this podcast, I was expecting one built around WWI, but that was not the case. Its about the Spanish-American War. Absolutely riveting.

IMO, its a great podcast for understanding the transition of the US from the vision of our forefathers to where we are today.

When I read the title of the thread I knew it was going to be a Dan Carlin post. That dude is incredible. You can tell he has a knack for making history compelling in a way that not many others could.

I needed dudes like this when I was in high school. His series on the Mongols was incredible.

His stuff is awesome. I listened to his WWI and Persia v. Greece series. I need to just go through it all at one point.

We got fuct (philippines)by both countries during that time period.

But still isolationist, which is really the theme of the podcast.

Isolationists because the Monroe Doctrine made Europeans not really want anything to do with the continent.

Back