SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy successfully - biggest rocket since Saturn V

Also, thinking he's the genius rather than his team of scientists & engineers are is stupid. He's the hype man and the deep pocket.

Man, why are you getting 'bullied' in here? You are right. Elon Musk is a smart guy, but the people working for him are the ones who deserve the credit. Musk still gets credit for getting the right people for the project and funding it. He did not do so well in the marriage department. Divorced three times. Married twice to the last wife. There is a price to pay when you have a high IQ. You usually don't fit well with others and there is a shortage of common sense. But the man is young and very rich.

Last edited:
A contained nuclear explosion really. Never get tired of watching this video. Not bad for 1969:

For 1969? Hell, the foundation of science as we know it was established in the 17th century with the (Isaac) Newtonian Synthesis, the pillars of electromagnetism, evolution and genetics would come in the 19th with Faraday, Henry, Maxwell, Darwin and Mendel, modern (physical) science laid down in the first quarter of the 20th with Planck, Einstein, Rutherford. Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Pauli and Dirac.

That's obviously the (very) brief history but it's the engineering and technology that's had to play catch up with application, just as with China's QKD breakthrough that was being discussed last week and is really circa 1927 science. For instance, the physics of a moon landing had been worked out since 1687, 280+ years before it was made reality.

I'm kinda pounding pavement for my own "tribe" here but never front on fundamental research, folks. It runs the game.

Man, why are you getting 'bullied' in here? You are right. Elon Musk is a smart guy, but the people working for him are the ones who deserve the credit. Musk still gets credit for getting the right people for the project and funding it. He did not do so well in the marriage department. Divorced twice. Married his last wife twice. There is a price to pay when you have a high IQ. You usually don't fit well with others and there is a shortage of common sense. But the man is young and very rich.
Exactly. He does deserve credit for funding and taking the risks with his wallet. The fanboys sucking his cock though reminds me of the Pres Chump cocksuckers.

The Saturn V was bigger, but the BFR (Big Fucking Rocket - that's actually the name) will surpass even the Saturn V if it gets built (seems realistic now).

Some of these payloads are subject to change, but here’s an estimate of how much each rocket can carry to space.

Saturn V - 310,000 lbs (33 elephants)
Falcon Heavy - 119,000 lbs (12.5 elephants)
SLS - 286,000 lbs (30 elephants)
BFR - 330,000 lbs (34 elephants)
New Glenn Rocket - 99,210 lbs (10 elephants)

The Falcon Heavy will be the first rocket since Saturn V capable of sending humans to the Moon, though it won’t be quite as powerful. Blue Origin’s New Glenn rocket will compete with SpaceX for commercial satellite launches.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spac...p-saturn-falcon-nasa-blue-origin-2017-12?IR=T
Isn't the official name Big Falcon Rocket ? wink wink

Exactly. He does deserve credit for funding and taking the risks with his wallet. The fanboys sucking his cock though reminds me of the Pres Chump cocksuckers.

No one is sucking his cock unless they're hot models trying to be the next Mrs Musk. The man is a genius plain and simple. Plenty of people have dreamt of space exploration and he's working towards making it viable commercially. Hating only makes you look like a bozo. Give credit when credit is due.

I wasn't even aware that Falcon Heavy launched but then again I've been chillaxing in Australia on vacation...

No need for insults, especially when there's a high probability people you call idiot are much smarter and more successful than you.

Also, thinking he's the genius rather than his team of scientists & engineers are is stupid. He's the hype man and the deep pocket.
You sell Musk much too short , I have no doubt he is a Genius

Former SpaceX Exec Explains How Elon Musk Taught Himself Rocket Science

After reading Cantrell's response in the Quora thread "How did Elon Musk learn enough about rockets to run SpaceX?," we asked him to share some insights into his time with Musk.

Below, he explains the two-part learning process that Musk used to teach himself rocket science.

He committed textbooks to memory.
"He is the smartest guy I've ever met, period," Cantrell tells us. "I know that sounds overblown. But I've met plenty of smart people, and I don't say that lightly. He's absolutely, frickin' amazing. I don't even think he sleeps."

Cantrell tells us that he soon discovered that he and Musk shared an affinity for applied knowledge, and he loaned him some textbooks to study (they "were never returned, by the way!" Cantrell says). The books were "Rocket Propulsion Elements," "Aerothermodynamics of Gas Turbine and Rocket Propulsion," "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics," and the "International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems."

He doesn't know exactly how Musk would read or take notes, but he knows that he practically memorized them.

"He would quote passages verbatim from these books. He became very conversant in the material," Cantrell says.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.bus...usk-learned-rocket-science-for-spacex-2014-10

After reading Cantrell's response in the Quora thread "How did Elon Musk learn enough about rockets to run SpaceX?," we asked him to share some insights into his time with Musk.

Below, he explains the two-part learning process that Musk used to teach himself rocket science.

"He is the smartest guy I've ever met, period," Cantrell tells us. "I know that sounds overblown. But I've met plenty of smart people, and I don't say that lightly. He's absolutely, frickin' amazing. I don't even think he sleeps."

Cantrell tells us that he soon discovered that he and Musk shared an affinity for applied knowledge, and he loaned him some textbooks to study (they "were never returned, by the way!" Cantrell says). The books were "Rocket Propulsion Elements," "Aerothermodynamics of Gas Turbine and Rocket Propulsion," "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics," and the "International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems."

He doesn't know exactly how Musk would read or take notes, but he knows that he practically memorized them.

"He would quote passages verbatim from these books. He became very conversant in the material," Cantrell says.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.bus...usk-learned-rocket-science-for-spacex-2014-10
I'm not selling him short. I said I didn't pay much attention to him and asked what he did to gain genius status, then fanboys took his cock out of their mouths long enough to type hostile shit. He's just not a guy I was motivated to read about.

The copy and paste quote you posted does seem impressive.

I'm not selling him short. I said I didn't pay much attention to him and asked what he did to gain genius status, then fanboys took his cock out of their mouths long enough to type hostile shit. He's just not a guy I was motivated to read about.

The copy and paste quote you posted does seem impressive.
His initial plan was to buy a Russian rocket to send to mars to reignite interest in space exploration , after the Russians dicked him around he burried himself in text books and decided to build one himself , crazy on its face , a sure fire way to lose a fortune

Science at it's best. All privately funded. NASA is pissing in it's boots.

NASA would like nothing better than to get out of the launch vehicle business and the SLS is a Congressional political pork barrel pretty much being pushed through against their will. They've been instrumental in assisting SpaceX along to reach the point it has. The American public's space agency is far better served carrying out missions of earth science satellites, interplanetary probes and observational astrophysics research.

His initial plan was to buy a Russian rocket to send to mars to reignite interest in space exploration , after the Russians dicked him around he burried himself in text books and decided to build one himself , crazy on its face , a sure fire way to lose a fortune
Making rockets that can land vertically to be reused is also impressive.

He's a decent guy and legit visionary.

They're collaborators more than anything, and he will require the NASA JPL facilities know-how and gear in order to carry out his plans for Mars exploration (already happening). So much groundwork has already been laid with the robotics going back to the Viking missions of the 1970s.

Meh, SpaceX is overrated how hard can it be to go into space it's not rocket science.

If Elon Musk is set on going to Mars, he should try the concept below. It is designed to fly with humans. Nuclear though. General Atomics Orion/Saturn V spaceship concept. (Click to enlarge):
B5HlKyU.jpg

this was a fucking awesome idea. i believe it had artificial gravity too and he should, this was the jupiter mission right?

People attribute these characteristics to a lot of tycoons but most of the time it’s bullshit. Almost very tycoon every has been accused of never sleeping, when I know for a fact that it is false in many instances. Some pull an all nighter at work, later sleep for a whole day, but take credit for being part of the sleepless elite. Their employees push these myths to make the owner or ceo look godlike.

One example is Aristotle Onassis who was said to never sleep and memorise every charter party and port fee in the world. All of that is rubbish, but helps build a myth. It’s the same with Musk.

People attribute these characteristics to a lot of tycoons but most of the time it’s bullshit. Almost very tycoon every has been accused of never sleeping, when I know for a fact that it is false in many instances. Some pull an all nighter at work, later sleep for a whole day, but take credit for being part of the sleepless elite. Their employees push these myths to make the owner or ceo look godlike.

One example is Aristotle Onassis who was said to never sleep and memorise every charter party and port fee in the world. All of that is rubbish, but helps build a myth. It’s the same with Musk.
Jim Cantrell is a respected veteran in the Aerospace field (who left SpaceX because he thought it would fail btw) I see no reason for him to exaggeate about Musk .

I know a very successful guy who only needs 4 hours sleep , he puts that extra time to good use and it has aided his success, it's not that unusual .

I vaguely remember reading an article that said basically sleep deprivation results in being dumber. A Google search just now turns up a bunch of those articles. Times when I only got like 1 hr of sleep, I felt groggy, except for once recently when I couldn't get sleep but drank at least one can of green tea where I was alert and didn't feel sleepy like I should have.

If you're sleep deprived and working on expensive shit, you're not doing yourself any favors by increasing the chances of mistakes especially if lives are on the line.

Well that is not exactly anything special. Einstein, Oppenheimer, Teller, and another 100 physicists can do the same thing.

Making rockets that can land vertically to be reused is also impressive.

I think it is stupid. A waste of technology, time, and money. It is not the whole rocket, just stage one. There is a thing called 'the parachute' that works just as well and is much cheaper. The space shuttle was already doing that (recycling rocket parts). Landing can be made on the ocean or the ground (like the Russians).

People attribute these characteristics to a lot of tycoons but most of the time it’s bullshit.

Agreed. Musk may be smart, but not as smart as people are hyping him up to be. He is a businessman by trade. He knows how to make money. Through the wealth that he generates, he invests in 'hobbies' that he likes. He is more of a Richard Branson than he is a Wernher von Braun.

Last edited:
Back