SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy successfully - biggest rocket since Saturn V

This is a great thing. Glorious, actually.

Science at it's best. All privately funded. NASA is pissing in it's boots.

@Der Eisbär @GSP_37 How do you find a way to argue and bitch about this?

No shit would be started if Bitcoin Boy don't be calling anyone a dick. It's like pot calling kettle black.

Are you reading his posts? The guy came into the thread saying he hasnt been following this thing, then someone explains whats going on and who Elon is, and then proceeds to shit on him.
Yeah, his first post was totally contrarian.

Dude shot a rocket in the air, let out a car to orbit the planet, then brought that exact rocket back, no partial impact or stations broken off, to land fucking vertically back on the planet.

Super shitty. Damn. That sets them back

Glad the 300 mph crash landing was on this test and not once they start putting people on board

Wouldn't be an issue with human flight -- just a first stage rocket. Either way, FH won't be the rocket that will be carrying humans.

Now if DragonX capsule crashes, then they have problems

No shit would be started if Bitcoin Boy don't be calling anyone a dick. It's like pot calling kettle black.
Well, you made a dumb post. Kinda dickish. I'm a dick for calling you a dick. Who cares, this is amazing.

Yeah, his first post was totally contrarian.

Dude shot a rocket in the air, let out a car to orbit the planet, then brought that exact rocket back, no partial impact or stations broken off, to land fucking vertically back on the planet.
You act like that was all him like he doesn't have scientists and engineers on the payroll.

You act like that was all him like he doesn't have scientists and engineers on the payroll.
Nobody is arguing against that....It's just pretty obvious that Elon Musk's motivation and funds alone didn't cause all of this. Richard Branson isn't doing this, but he had the same idea.

Damn there are shit posting in here? Oh I forgot this is the war room.

Why so hostile?

I'm pretty sure Elon's employees made that stuff, not himself and his supreme brain power.
the fuck is wrong with you? This a monumentous achievement for society and marks a big step towards private space travel. While you sit on sherdog shitposting, Elon is reshaping the world into his vision for utopia.

The Saturn V was bigger, but the BFR (Big Fucking Rocket - that's actually the name) will surpass even the Saturn V if it gets built (seems realistic now).

Some of these payloads are subject to change, but here’s an estimate of how much each rocket can carry to space.

Saturn V - 310,000 lbs (33 elephants)
Falcon Heavy - 119,000 lbs (12.5 elephants)
SLS - 286,000 lbs (30 elephants)
BFR - 330,000 lbs (34 elephants)
New Glenn Rocket - 99,210 lbs (10 elephants)

The Falcon Heavy will be the first rocket since Saturn V capable of sending humans to the Moon, though it won’t be quite as powerful. Blue Origin’s New Glenn rocket will compete with SpaceX for commercial satellite launches.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spac...p-saturn-falcon-nasa-blue-origin-2017-12?IR=T

From what I understand, the hardest part of getting to the moon with regards to propulsion is escaping Earths gravity. Seems after that, the difference between something like the moon and Mars isn’t power as much as combating the effects of no gravity for the trip there and back. Well, and getting enough supplies off of earth to sustain the crew there and back (not considering landing at this point). I guess that’s where a lunar staging area could help. Escaping the moons gravity will take less thrust and you can transfer the bulk of supplies early in multiple shipments.

This is a pretty exciting time in my opinion. It’s like heading out to sail off the edge of the world - except we know what’s out there right now. Brings new meaning to “the new world.”

Wouldn't be an issue with human flight -- just a first stage rocket. Either way, FH won't be the rocket that will be carrying humans.

Now if DragonX capsule crashes, then they have problems

Oh it was one of the rockets that crashed back? I thought it was the final stage that would be similar to what would have humans in the future

Ares Rocket Series - U.S.:

Saturn V & SLS Rocket Series - U.S. (click to expand):
main-qimg-48508f7ddc3abd83b53d3b87d5d193c0

China Rocket Series:

Brazil Rocket Series:

Last edited:
Oh it was one of the rockets that crashed back? I thought it was the final stage that would be similar to what would have humans in the future

No, that's their dragon capsule that currently serves as a payload craft that returns to earth (eventually will be used for human travel) -- Today was their core booster (which is essentially their f9 rocket) that failed reentry.

I havent been keeping up with the latest space junk, so I was impressed by the reverse landing of the boosters. That had to have been an engineering nightmare. Absolutely no room for error the way they land. The main booster pad needs some rethinking.

I haven't been paying attention. What has he done to qualify as a genius?

Not only is he a genius but he is daring. SpaceX is revolutionizing the aerospace industry. He's building and developing tech that would take NASA years as opposed to months without sacrificing quality for a fraction of the cost.

Read and learn you something ya village idiot...

If Elon Musk is set on going to Mars, he should try the concept below. It is designed to fly with humans. Nuclear though. General Atomics Orion/Saturn V spaceship concept. (Click to enlarge):
B5HlKyU.jpg

No.
180205173911-big-rockets-780x439.jpg

Falcon Heavy
. Status: First test flight took place February 6
. Height: 229.6 feet (70 meters)
. Liftoff thrust: 5 million pounds
. Capability: 140,660 pounds (63,800 kilograms) to LEO

Saturn V
. Status: Retired in 1973
. Height: 363 feet (111 meters)
. Liftoff thrust: 7.6 million pounds (3.4 million kilograms)
. Capability: 260,000 pounds (118,000 kilograms) to LEO
. Payloads: Apollo spacecraft and astronauts, Skylab

Great info in putting to rest the ridiculous notion that the FH is anywhere near the Saturn V but the latter's max payload capacity to LEO was actually 310,000 lbs (140,000 kg) not 260,000 and in fact actually had a launch to push it to that limit in its curtain call mission after the Apollo program ended when it launched an entire fucking space station - Skylab 1 - into orbit.

800px-Saturn_V_launches.jpg

Not only is he a genius but he is daring. SpaceX is revolutionizing the aerospace industry. He's building and developing tech that would take NASA years as opposed to months without sacrificing quality for a fraction of the cost.

Read and learn you something ya village idiot...
No need for insults, especially when there's a high probability people you call idiot are much smarter and more successful than you.

Also, thinking he's the genius rather than his team of scientists & engineers are is stupid. He's the hype man and the deep pocket.

Great info in putting to rest the ridiculous notion that the FH is anywhere near the Saturn V. In fact actually had a launch to push it to that limit in its curtain call mission after the Apollo program ended when it launched an entire fucking space station - Skylab 1 - into orbit.

A contained nuclear explosion really. Never get tired of watching this video. Not bad for 1969:

No need for insults, especially when there's a high probability people you call idiot are much smarter and more successful than you.

Also, thinking he's the genius rather than his team of scientists & engineers are is stupid. He's the hype man and the deep pocket.

The majority of the folks in the tech industry has acknowledge Elon Musk as brilliant. The mere fact that you question it shows how little you know. Stay in your mud hut with your 56k modem internet and let the adults talk in this thread.

And I am pretty damn sure you are not smarter than the average person. I rate you on the lower end of the bell curve judging by your posting history...

I approve of this thread..

Back