Southpaw Teep Tutorial

Southpaws should be placed in death camps for attempting to defy nature.

@AndyMaBobs

@AndyMaBobs

the same "advantages" a southpaw has, are the same exact for the orthodox when they are paired up against eachother.

Southpaws have the advantage, generally speaking, because they are used to going against orthodox, and orthodox, generally speaking, arent used to southpaws. Thats really the only advantage.

the same "advantages" a southpaw has, are the same exact for the orthodox when they are paired up against eachother.

Southpaws have the advantage, generally speaking, because they are used to going against orthodox, and orthodox, generally speaking, arent used to southpaws. Thats really the only advantage.
I've been at it for awhile, but damn for some reason a southpaw's check feels worse than orthodox

Gonna make my own combat sport. Southpaws need not apply

@AndyMaBobs

they-hate-us-cause-they-aint-us-14173166.png

When i became a bit more experienced in TKD, i started switching my stance in MT. What i found is that, not only other fighters hate southpaws, but they hate it even more if you switch in the middle of the fight.
It's like they have to figure you out again from the start, and against a stance they don't like.

On the other hand, when i fight against a southpaw with a regular stance, i understand the base of his stance, and what i am supposed to do. So in my opinion, everybody should spend some time fighting as a SP to understand the logic behind it. Obviously with a trainer that will explain you the details.

Also, don't forget that against a southpaw, the liver is right there for the taking.
Blast him with switch kicks, and front leg teeps...

@TheBookofSpeed

In my opinion, its still a matter of both power and balance. It may not be as important as with a roundhouse, but the necessity it's still there.
Don't forget that the teep is not a front kick. It has a lot more power behind it that doesn't come from the snapping speed. You need the hand movement to help it.
Same goes for the balance part. Your hand helps counter balancing the rotation of the hips. Again, the hip movement is not as big as with the roundhouse, but it's still there, and it's a big factor on the power of the teep. So the hand movement is a big help for balance for that technique too.

I believe you can still have a decent teep and keep both hands up, (unlike with the roundhouse), but if you try it both ways you will clearly feel a difference.
Same goes with the piercing knee.

Again, don't forget that it's a basic strike, that is used constantly within a rule set that will punish low hands... There is a reason why it's done that way, and it's not hundred of years of laziness or bad technique...

Last edited:
Just like shin said, it’s not so much “advantages” of being a southpaw, so much as it is familiarity.
Around 10% of the population are left handlers (I googled it to sound smart).
So if you spar 10 guys in training, 9 are going to have opposing stance, and 1 will mirror your own.
The south paw will have 9 guys that mirror his stance and 1 with opposing stance. He’s used to leading with his rear hand, he’s used to fighting for foot position, etc. Same with everything, if you drill with a lefty it will become second nature and you won’t have to think about it. If you don’t, you’ll have to make a conscious effort when you fight him.

But J123 is true, southpaws are an abomination

Just like shin said, it’s not so much “advantages” of being a southpaw, so much as it is familiarity.
Around 10% of the population are left handlers (I googled it to sound smart).
So if you spar 10 guys in training, 9 are going to have opposing stance, and 1 will mirror your own.
The south paw will have 9 guys that mirror his stance and 1 with opposing stance. He’s used to leading with his rear hand, he’s used to fighting for foot position, etc. Same with everything, if you drill with a lefty it will become second nature and you won’t have to think about it. If you don’t, you’ll have to make a conscious effort when you fight him.

But J123 is true, southpaws are an abomination
bad math bud. If there are 10 people in the room and your the southpaw then you don’t have any southpaws to work with. If there are 20, everyone has two southpaws to work with and you only have 1.

This is why southpaws struggle fighting each other so much. Source: I’m a southpaw

bad math bud. If there are 10 people in the room and your the southpaw then you don’t have any southpaws to work with. If there are 20, everyone has two southpaws to work with and you only have 1.

This is why southpaws struggle fighting each other so much. Source: I’m a southpaw
If you spar 10 people, the odds say that one of those 10 will be a southpaw no matter what your stance, but please lord don’t make me show my workings out.
The bonus that the lefty has is that if he’s fighting another lefty, and that lefty has also not seen many leftys. Right

No unfamiliarity advantage so you can feel like a master of space and time. No open stance to the liver. No handed side facing said liver. I compensate for not being you by coming as close to you as I can, shifting into southpaw as part of my bread and butter offense which to you must look something like this: <{spoogebab}>

I hate you! :mad::(

No unfamiliarity advantage so you can feel like a master of space and time. No open stance to the liver. No handed side facing said liver. I compensate for not being you by coming as close to you as I can, shifting into southpaw as part of my bread and butter offense which to you you must look something like this: <{spoogebab}>

I hate you! :mad::(
SP's hate a dose of their medicine.

I've been at it for awhile, but damn for some reason a southpaw's check feels worse than orthodox

Gonna make my own combat sport. Southpaws need not apply

That's because a southpaw's check naturally goes shin to shin. When most orthodox guys check kicks they don't turn the shin into the kick so you end up kicking the side of their leg instead of the shin. With southpaws, their shins are naturally lined up with the path of the incoming kick so when they check you it goes bone on bone and hurts like hell. Of course the same is true for them, see Anderson Silva vs. Weidman.

If you spar 10 people, the odds say that one of those 10 will be a southpaw no matter what your stance, but please lord don’t make me show my workings out.
The bonus that the lefty has is that if he’s fighting another lefty, and that lefty has also not seen many leftys. Right

The bonus that the lefty has is that if he’s fighting another lefty, and that lefty has also not seen many leftys

replace lefty with right

The bonus that the lefty has is that if he’s fighting a righty, and that righty has not seen many leftys. The lefty has seen many rightys.

im terrible at math and fond of you so I’ll give you this one

Hmm I actually find it easier to spar a southpaw than an orthodox guy. There is just one simple rule to follow - step outside his lead foot and your power hand or kick does not get stuck midway in some strange browler blocks. When I fight ortodox I feel I can never land a right hand at all.

Back