southpaw sparring orthodox thai boxers

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ClinicalRabbit, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ClinicalRabbit

ClinicalRabbit Yellow Belt

It'll be my second time sparring tonight, I've trained for a year. I'm the only southpaw in a gym of orthodox fighters. Any fellow south paws got any tips for me to spar effectively ?

2. Mad Dollar

Mad Dollar Yellow Belt

Keep a good distance and your front foot on the outside of their front foot, from there do simple stuff as a 1-2, a outside low kick, or just a straight cross. Also keep you right hand out to manage the distance and ready to slap their left jab down and counter with a left cross. Just keep it simple and improvise when you get some rounds under you're belt ! - I'm a l southpaw too and those simple techniques always do the job for me. - Tell me if it works out for you

3. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Don't be shy about throwing the cross. Be aware of your opponent trying to step to the outside of your lead foot. When he does, be ready with a check hook to keep him from taking an angle. Use your jab to freeze him while you step to the outside and bomb your cross down the middle. Use the hook to force him to move into your cross. Personally, and this is not universal advice but just something I love to do, paw with the jab to get him pawing back and at some point break the rhythm with a fast cross on the half beat, or slip to the outside of the jab on the half beat and throw a right uppercut under his extended arm (the James Toney, though he did it from orthodox). Contrary to popular belief you can move to your left, just be very aware of his right coming at you. But that inside angle can be a great place to land big shots since you have him totally square if you do it right.

If this is Thai boxing, be careful about slipping to the outside (your left) of his cross as you will eventually meet a head kick. Don't be shy about attacking the back leg with low kicks, but of course mix it up to the body and head as that left kick should really be your main weapon.

4. Silver tongue samurai

Silver tongue samurai Ronin

use the jab

dudeguyman likes this.
  5. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

my brothers a southpaw and loves the 1-2, 1-2 1-overhand. i have sparred him for years and he still catches me with it. it gave other people nightmares.

6. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

throw the left kick until your leg falls off

aerius and j123 like this.
  7. aerius

aerius Black Belt

Most people would be surprised at how well that works.

MisterHappy likes this.
  8. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Yellow Belt

I would like that video 1000x if it let me. New goal for sparring night tomorrow! :meow:

aerius likes this.
  9. dudeguyman

dudeguyman Green Belt

Try to paw down the invetitable jab with your hand (either one) and throw a overhand/cross with the other hand while moving to your right side. Also you can inside kick there lead leg with a rear left roundhouse. Its a little slower but more powerful then a orthodox fighters inside leg kick.

10. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Brown Belt

left kick, left kick, left kick, left kick.

AndyTran and aerius like this.
  11. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

Another vote for the left kick to everything...body especially. Even though I'm orthodox, sometimes I'll switch stances after a missed kick or something and hope my opponent doesn't notice so I can just blast a hard left kick from southpaw.

I must have been gone for a real long time...when did @shincheckin get his own gif on here??? :meow:

shincheckin likes this.
  12. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

Lol

13. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

You damn button mashers are everywhere

14. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Brown Belt

hahaha..hey it works!

15. Towel88

Towel88 White Belt

Im a south paw and my hands down favorite setup is the prince naseem cork screw upper cut to cross, i fake my left and throw a lead upper cut while hoping in and getting dominant foot position, then follow up with a left straight, its money man,

Here's a link to a breakdown