Southpaw problem

Thunderstriker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a 188cm, 71kg southpaw fighter, and people are usually telling me I should fight on the outside, moving a lot and throwing a deadly left straight, since I'm southpaw and have a dominant angle. But I have an elbow injury that is permanent, this is why I feel hesitant throwing left straights. But I feel I have a really powerful right hook to the head and body, and a sweet overhand left and left hook to the liver. Could anyone recommend me any boxers to watch that use their right hook a lot and are southpaws? And what setups could I use to make my opponent lower his lead hand so that I could hop in with right hook?
So far my favourites are:
1. Jab. Feint Jab -> Right Hook.
2. Right hook to body -> Right hook to head.
3. Feint left straight, he tries to parry -> Right hook
4. Opponent charges -> step back, left straight -> right hook with pivot

All good options.

Southpaws shouldn't keep stepping to the right, it's a dumb idea that will get you caught. Outside angle lines up the left straight, inside angle lines up the jab and hook.

Also ignore people telling you to disregard the southpaw jab because they will invariably be wrong. Feinting the jab will let you land it, look at good southpaws like Vasyl Lomachenko and Manny Pacquaio, they've all got good jabs.

If you want some more creative ways to throw the right hand as a southpaw, you can't really go wrong with Marvin Hagler either.

All good options.

Southpaws shouldn't keep stepping to the right, it's a dumb idea that will get you caught. Outside angle lines up the left straight, inside angle lines up the jab and hook.

Also ignore people telling you to disregard the southpaw jab because they will invariably be wrong. Feinting the jab will let you land it, look at good southpaws like Vasyl Lomachenko and Manny Pacquaio, they've all got good jabs.

If you want some more creative ways to throw the right hand as a southpaw, you can't really go wrong with Marvin Hagler either.

Thanks for the advice! I don't really step to the right, usually I like to load up on right hook transfering my bodyweight to right, or throwing it right after left straight for example, to use the momentum. Usually, I am looking for that dominant outside angle, it's just that my left straight doesn't do too much damage and doesnt intimidate my opponent as much as it should and he can walk me down.

Thanks for the advice! I don't really step to the right, usually I like to load up on right hook transfering my bodyweight to right, or throwing it right after left straight for example, to use the momentum. Usually, I am looking for that dominant outside angle, it's just that my left straight doesn't do too much damage and doesnt intimidate my opponent as much as it should and he can walk me down.

The benefit of being a southpaw is that you can just throw left hands on a whim without having to fear much. Unlike a rear straight from an orthodox fighter - a southpaw straight is very safe to do because you can safely step off line. You can even probe out some soft straights without much weight put into it, almost like a jab with your back hand, it doesn't have to hurt it just has to keep them off rhythm.

Watch some Michael Bing Bong fights; his looping left hook over the shoulder (almost like a lead hand overhand really) is a killer vs guys who lead with their right who don't expect it; as a southpaw yourself you can do the same with your right vs guys who lead left/orthodox.

Last edited:
Watch some Michael Bing Bong fights; his looping left hook over the shoulder (almost like a lead hand overhand really) is a killer vs guys who lead with their right who don't expect it; as a southpaw yourself you can do the same with your right vs guys who lead left/orthodox.

Sounds nice and what I'm looking gor, but who the fuck is Micheal Bing Bong? Google seems to give me no answer

Sounds nice and what I'm looking gor, but who the fuck is Micheal Bing Bong? Google seems to give me no answer

Left Hook Larry.

bisping-belt_Getty-1200x800.jpg

Wouldnt hurt to apply some JKD stuff into your situation.

If it's all about the lead hook, I recommend you watch GGG vs Willie Monroe (a southpaw) - Golovkin fucked Monroe up with a lot of lead hooks, and you can of course just mirror his technique and setups since he's the orthodox against the southpaw. - Also just watch Pacquaio all day he's the guy to watch if you like boxing aggressive as a southpaw.

feel like lomachenko would be a good fighter for you to watch....as he is a natural right hander who fights in a southpaw stance, so he uses his lead arm to do a ton of indredible stuff

Back