Social Southern Baptists: "We Have Been Guilty of a Sinful Absence of Historical Curiosity."

Well think about this. If your great, great great Grandfather treated his slaves well, then the social contract between them in that period of time may have been the slaves only way to have food and a roof over their head.

And I'm a person that's glad that blacks have equal rights today. But in that era, being a slave for some men was the best way that they could be taken care of.

Ummm...............No.

You seem to be overlooking how slaves got here. It's not like they were all just already here, starving and helpless, and we took them in as slaves out of the kindness of our hearts.

Nice try though.

You need to own up to the fact that your comprehension 'own up to' is somewhat limited.
No, you need to own up to the fact that yours is imprecise.
You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with the English language. Now if you are somehow redefining words that's something we can discuss but you need to make some sort of conversion chart available for the rest of us.

Your entire beef with me revolves around a blatant misrepresentation of the phrase. So my comprehension is just fine. I realize this might be a little confusing so I went back and highlighted some of the more pertinent facts for you:
xUh5lgW.jpg

Ummm...............No.

You seem to be overlooking how slaves got here. It's not like they were all just already here, starving and helpless, and we took them in as slaves out of the kindness of our hearts.

Nice try though.
Sure, the first black slaves here were put in chains and brought across the ocean on ships, and treated like animals. The Bible doesn't condone that. But their kids, grandkids and great grandkids were born into slavery.

And these people were captured by fellow Africans and were enslaved over there. Africa was not a great option for them either. It's still a pretty violent place.

Last edited:
Sure, the first black slaves here were put in chains and brought across the ocean on ships. The Bible doesn't condone that. But their kids, grandkids and great grandkids were born into slavery.

Surely anyone that voted for you as POTY was doing so ironically.

Ummm...............No.

Nice try though.
You're right. It's because their own people sold them into slavery and they were brought here.

You're right. It's because their own people sold them into slavery and they were brought here.

No doubt those folks played a large role in that great atrocity.

Sure, the first black slaves here were put in chains and brought across the ocean on ships, and treated like animals. The Bible doesn't condone that. But their kids, grandkids and great grandkids were born into slavery.

And these people were captured by fellow Africans and were enslaved over there. Africa was not a great option for them either. It's still a pretty violent place.

What part does the Bible not condone? That they were brought over on ships? In Chains? Or that they were treated like animals?

Where does the Bible stand on the breeding programs southern slave owners implemented to grow their slave population?

What part does the Bible not condone? That they were brought over on ships? In Chains? Or that they were treated like animals?

Where does the Bible stand on the breeding programs southern slave owners implemented to grow their slave population?
I told you, any harsh treatment of slaves the Bible cannot condone.

Also, the only breeding program endorsed by the Bible is husband and wife.

They are right. A man and a man is not a marriage. It's just a disorded sexual relationship where the men want their disordered sexual behavior to be accepted by society by calling it a marriage.
Or you could just accept that the human race has a wide variety of personalities and differences

Kind of like how many people in the SBC have a love jones for their cousins

Last edited:
You can be sorry for the way black people were treated back in the day. But, you can't repent of your ancestors sins. You can only repent of your sins.

Unless an SBC member alive today was living in the early 1800's, and mistreating his slaves, he is not guilty of any historical sins that happened in 1850.

How about they just stop celebrating their ancestors sins with statues and flags? Is that too much to ask?

I told you, any harsh treatment of slaves the Bible cannot condone.

Also, the only breeding program endorsed by the Bible is husband and wife.

Some slaves were allowed to marry. Others were forced to marry. Still others were just 'selectively bred'. Then their families were routinely split apart on the auction block. Done by many well respected God fearing good book loving christians. Which of those would you consider harsh.

The Bible in fact not only condones and supports slavery, but commands slaves to obey their masters, just as it commands their masters not to be douche bags.

Leviticus 25:44 --As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ.

You have to understand RIP that continued failure to reconcile things like this and the the ancient patriarchy model we now consider patently absurd will eventually do organized religion in.

That I don't know, tell me about it.
It's basically a guy portraying Thomas Jefferson doing a podcast. It's full of historic information and well worth a listen.
They're a lot like this

How about they just stop celebrating their ancestors sins with statues and flags? Is that too much to ask?
Is that what they are doing? Honoring sin? Or honoring the young men that fought for their state?

It's basically a guy portraying Thomas Jefferson doing a podcast. It's full of historic information and well worth a listen.
They're a lot like this

Thanks I'll check it out.

Some slaves were allowed to marry. Others were forced to marry. Still others were just 'selectively bred'. Then their families were routinely split apart on the auction block. Done by many well respected God fearing good book loving christians. Which of those would you consider harsh.

The Bible in fact not only condones and supports slavery, but commands slaves to obey their masters, just as it commands their masters not to be douche bags.

You have to understand RIP that continued failure to reconcile things like this and the the ancient patriarchy model we now consider patently absurd will eventually do organized religion in.
I believe most Christians have addressed and acknowledged that black men were not treated well by many in the previous generations. And much of what happened was sinful and wrong. But like you said, the Bible does not condemn slavery.

I believe most Christians have addressed and acknowledged that black men were not treated well by many in the previous generations. And much of what happened was sinful and wrong. But like you said, the Bible does not condemn slavery.
of course it doesn't because when the bible was written slavery was the norm

Back