Social Southern Baptists: "We Have Been Guilty of a Sinful Absence of Historical Curiosity."

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Southern Baptist Seminary Confronts History Of Slaveholding And 'Deep Racism'

"The Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, came into being in 1845 as the church of southern slaveholders.

Now, 173 years later, Southern Baptist leaders are not just acknowledging their dark history; they are documenting it, as if by telling the story in wrenching detail, they may finally be freed of its taint.

The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, the denomination's flagship institution, this week released a 71-page report on the role racism and support for slavery played in its origin and growth.

"The founding fathers of this school—all four of them—were deeply involved in slavery and deeply complicit in the defense of slavery," writes SBTS president R. Albert Mohler, Jr., in a letter accompanying the report. "Many of their successors on this faculty, throughout the period of Reconstruction and well into the 20th century, advocated the inferiority of African-Americans and openly embraced the ideology of the Lost Cause of southern slavery."

"We have been guilty of a sinful absence of historical curiosity,"
Mohler, 59, wrote in the introductory letter. "We knew, and we could not fail to know, that slavery and deep racism were in the story. We comforted ourselves that we could know this, but since these events were so far behind us, we could move on without awkward and embarrassing investigations and conversations."

That story is now told, in a way only Southern Baptists themselves could tell it. The report draws heavily on seminary archives, including correspondence among the four founders. Between them, they held more than 50 enslaved persons.

The report acknowledges that the only reason a separate southern Baptist denomination was formed was because northern Baptists refused to appoint slaveholders as missionaries."

I think this is a good start, and Mohler seems like a sincere and devout man. I think the phrase, "Sinful absence of historical curiosity." Is the whole story in a line; and makes it relevant to so much more than just the origins of a particular religious sect.

"Sinful absence of historical curiosity." Let that line sink in for a moment. Not wanting to know the historical roots of oppression-- wanting to live in comfortable and easy ignorance-- is described as a sin.

Kudos.

Still, some feel that this report stops short of the full reckoning that the Southern Baptist Church needs to bring it into genuine Christian social justice:

"Making a statement about Confederate monuments might be a next step," says Alison Greene, a historian of U.S. religion at Emory University in Atlanta, "or taking a stand on questions of voting rights in the 21st century. That would be really significant."

Greene, who was herself raised as a Southern Baptist, found the seminary report lacking in its failure to acknowledge any consequence of the denomination's recent association with conservative politicians and the policies they have promoted.

"It papers over a generation of hand-in-glove cooperation with efforts to roll back every single social program that served African-Americans or promised to rectify, even in the smallest ways, the gross economic and social effects of enslavement and segregation and inequality on black communities," Greene says.

You can be sorry for the way black people were treated back in the day. But, you can't repent of your ancestors sins. You can only repent of your sins.

Unless an SBC member alive today was living in the early 1800's, and mistreating his slaves, he is not guilty of any historical sins that happened in 1850.

Last edited:
"sorry about the blacks, but fuck the LGBT community they are still a bunch of sinners who deserve no equal rights"

-southern baptists

Now, 173 years later, Southern Baptist leaders are not just acknowledging their dark history; they are documenting it, as if by telling the story in wrenching detail, they may finally be freed of its taint.
Yes they did have racist SBC members who treated their slaves brutally. The SBC has been acknowledging and apologizing for this for decades.

With the social justice movement recently, these apologies from the SBC are coming out again.

I don't think they have to keep apologizing over and over again. But what we are seeing is all political. Democrats and PC Social Justice Warriors have infiltrated the SBC to change it. There is a movement to liberalize the Southern Baptist Church and some of them are trying to change what is preached from the Bible.

-Issues about adding social justice to the Gospel. Galatians warns about adding to the Gospel. Adding more requirements to be saved. Let the man who does that be cursed. Galatians 1:8

-Some libs wanted the SBC to add women into leadership ranks and eventually women pastors and elders which is not allowed by the Bible

-eventually this is going to the homosexuality issue as well.

I look for the SBC to split. There are thousands of small SBC churches that will not go along with the changing the Gospel and adding liberal politics to be included as part of the Gospel message.

I like Al Mohler on many things, but he has become politically compromised. I don't know if someone is paying him off to do some of this.

Last edited:
teOgGkS.jpg

Southern Baptists do not say this.
southern baptists are the most anti-gay rights folks in the country

In regards to supreme court affirming same sex marriage
The nine SBC pastors at the morning press conference made clear that the scripture’s teaching on marriage is not negotiable, and that, if necessary, they will be willing to break the law in order to follow their beliefs.

“It could come to that,” said Rev. Bryant Wright, a past SBC president and pastor at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in East Cobb. “In that case, we would have to obey God’s law versus man’s law.”

You can't even attend their conventions if you are gay. \
http://religiondispatches.org/south...-gay-attendees-waffles-on-white-supremacists/

Alt-right white supremacists tho? eh that's a tricky one ol' rippy
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-convention-alt-right-white-supremacy/530244/

southern baptists are the most anti-gay rights folks in the country

In regards to supreme court affirming same sex marriage
The nine SBC pastors at the morning press conference made clear that the scripture’s teaching on marriage is not negotiable, and that, if necessary, they will be willing to break the law in order to follow their beliefs.

“It could come to that,” said Rev. Bryant Wright, a past SBC president and pastor at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in East Cobb. “In that case, we would have to obey God’s law versus man’s law.”

You can't even attend their conventions if you are gay. Alt-right white supremacist? eh no so bad.
http://religiondispatches.org/south...-gay-attendees-waffles-on-white-supremacists/
They are right. A man and a man is not a marriage. It's just a disorded sexual relationship where the men want their disordered sexual behavior to be accepted by society by calling it a marriage.

Yes they did have racist SBC members who treated their slaves brutally. The SBC has been acknowledging and apologizing for this for decades.

With the social justice movement recently, these apologies from the SBC are coming out again.

I don't think they have to keep apologizing over and over again. But what we are seeing is all political. Democrats and PC Social Justice Warriors have infiltrated the SBC to change it. There is a movement to liberalize the Southern Baptist Church and some of them are trying to change what is preached from the Bible.

-Issues about adding social justice to the Gospel. Galatians warns about adding to the Gospel. Adding more requirements to be saved. Let the man who does that be cursed. Galatians 1:8

-Some libs wanted the SBC to add women into leadership ranks and eventually women pastors and elders which is not allowed by the Bible

-eventually this is going to the homosexuality issue as well.

I look for the SBC to split. There are thousands of small SBC churches that will not go along with the changing the Gospel and adding liberal politics to be included as part of the Gospel message.

I like Al Mohler on many things, but he has become politically compromised. I don't know if someone is paying him off to do some of this.
did? they still do as you will notice in the article i posted above they had significant internal conflict over denouncing alt-right white supremacists lol

You can be sorry for the way black people were treated back in the day. But, you can't repent of your ancestors sins. You can only repent of your sins.

Unless an SBC member alive today was living in the early 1800's, and mistreating his slaves, he is not guilty of any historical sins that happened in 1850.

You can certainly acknowledge and own up to the role your church played in slavery and racism. Which is what these folks did. Granted, it is merely a drop in the proverbial bucket in terms of addressing religious hypocrisy, but every little bit counts.

did? they still do as you will notice in the article i posted above they had significant internal conflict over denouncing alt-right white supremacists lol
Does the Southern Baptist Church still have a "White Supremacy" problem? Not that I know of. It should be a given that we be against white supremacy.

This seems like dog whistling. And it seems like the SBC is trying to distract from the Gospel and insert Social Justice issues into their congregations.

You can certainly acknowledge and own up to the role your church played in slavery and racism. Which is what these folks did. Granted, it is merely a drop in the proverbial bucket in terms of addressing religious hypocrisy, but every little bit counts.
They've been saying this for decades. Every so many years, they do this again. It's coming up again due to the social justice political movement. How many times does the SBC need to ask for forgiveness? When is it enough?

They are right. A man and a man is not a marriage. It's just a disorded sexual relationship where the men want their disordered sexual behavior to be accepted by society by calling it a marriage.
you can still accept them despite their sin, much like you and other evangelicals have excepted trump despite his sin
SBC is still full of racists, they believe the confederate flag is "a christian flag" among other things
http://faithandheritage.com/2018/07...st-convention-leaders-to-repent-or-step-down/

Does the Southern Baptist Church still have a "White Supremacy" problem? Not that I know of. It should be a given that we be against white supremacy.

This seems like dog whistling. And it seems like the SBC is trying to distract from the Gospel and insert Social Justice issues into their congregations.
http://faithandheritage.com/2018/07...st-convention-leaders-to-repent-or-step-down/

yea no racists here

Conclusion
It is for these reasons that the leadership of the SBC needs either to repent and readmit James Edwards’s church, or to step down as leaders of the SBC. They are acting like Pharisees and Judaizers and must be stopped. The cultural Marxist-like atmosphere of the convention will prove only to further divide its members and drive good Christians and non-believers away. All members of the SBC, especially whites, need to work to change this shameful situation in the convention now.

I think this is another case of church leaders being a lot more intelligent and introspective than their constituents. Southern Baptists are still, by and large, a bunch of unrepentant, bigoted, Trump-supporting morons.

you can still accept them despite their sin, much like you and other evangelicals have excepted trump despite his sin
Gays are sinners, we are all sinners. Anyone can attend and hear the preaching at my Baptist Church. But you can't become a member if you take "Pride" in your sin. There has to be repentance to become a member of my church.

yea no racists here

Conclusion
It is for these reasons that the leadership of the SBC needs either to repent and readmit James Edwards’s church, or to step down as leaders of the SBC. They are acting like Pharisees and Judaizers and must be stopped. The cultural Marxist-like atmosphere of the convention will prove only to further divide its members and drive good Christians and non-believers away. All members of the SBC, especially whites, need to work to change this shameful situation in the convention now.
I don't really know anything about the situation at that church. So I can't comment.

I don't really know anything about the situation at that church. So I can't comment.
It's not just that church it is the overall internal conflict of the church being forced to denounce the alt-right and white supremacists at a recent convention. Also, as I noted, many in the SBC feel that confederate flag and other historical figures who promoted slavery should not be denounced but instead applauded as christian symbols of southern/SBC faith. Sounds like the split in the church will be down racial lines sadly

Back