Southern Baptists Have a New President-- And He Just Rebuked Mike Pence

It’s not really about the Republican Party. There is a pushback among some Evangelicals specifically against Trump. Most Evangelicals can’t vote Democrat because of their stance on abortion.

Sure, sure but there is much more.

Abortion, individual rights, their views on religious freedom, and how their understanding of traditional American society and how it should be fair/equitable.

One could easily disagree, at the same time, Evangelicals are going to see things a very different way.

Unless they are culturally "black."

Or "brown" and devout Catholics.

Or Koreans and adherent Evangelicals again.

The deep, profound readings of the philosophy are meant to adapt to the hostile crowd of culture and conformity as well as whoever happens to be prince on any given day.

The morality changes with whatever moral forces and environment you are up against, and remarkably, was designed to do so across other languages and idea structures.

I don't see Christians covering up Donald Trumps sins. Any specific examples?

And protecting the sinful from criticism is not happening and it's not even a Biblical concept to begin with.

Criticism from the right.

"This is one reason why evangelical leaders such as Jerry Falwell Jr., who have spent a lifetime talking about eternal principles, feel enormous pressure from above and below to give the president a “mulligan” on personal shortcomings (in the words of Family Research Council President Tony Perkins)."

https://www.stltoday.com/opinion/co...cle_2e6045b8-a651-5537-a740-bc1632d0fc83.html

When Trump does something poor, a lot of Evangelicals will rationalize it or ignore it.

I think we have seen that behavior around here.

I can sympathize, but disagree.

If someone criticizes Trump of course the right knows that the left is going to use the criticism against their political chances, and that they are fundamentally hypocritical about say Barack Obama's potential abuses of power.

The right might wonder,

"Why give the left another weapon when they already influence so much of media and entertainment?"

The answer is without having our standards, all standards will be gone or adjusted to the loud and angry crowd that exists at any given minute.

What's instering is how many non Christians telling Christians how they should act to be Christians. The same ones that call Christians fools for believing in a sky person.

They same ones that say men have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body because they are not a woman.

I understand why people don't like hypocrisy but it is literally everywhere and apart of human nature and literally everyone is a hypocrite.

So why worry so much about it ?

Dude, we're on a message board where we discuss things. I don't go around worrying about it in my every day life.

I agree, although the free pursuit of money in a free environment was applauded by early "evangelicals," and for very good reasons.

America, as they saw it, was a place where through competition and vigor one could practice their work ethic and values to accumulate wealth that would A. give people a good and generous civic spirit and B. allow them to give charitably, which Americans surely do.

They saw this as a very fair and equitable reading of scripture for what the American society is or was intended to be.

Too bad the gospel of Jesus had zero to do with building wealthy nation states and everything to do with bringing an end to the current world order and ushering in the kingdom of God.

Dude, we're on a message board where we discuss things. I don't go around worrying about it in my every day life.
My post was kind of mocking yours it had no substance.

You go around pointing out hypocrisy but that is exactly what the leftist atheists are calling out most Christians on. The fact you couldn't see that is funny to me.

Many churches today seem to be more concerned about fitting in than preaching the gospel of Christ. They seem to be moving towards less biblical teaching and more motivational speeches. They seem to be less about being examples of Christ and showing love to others while still holding true to what Christ taught and more about making sure they've got people showing up and not really caring about their spiritual growth.

I see way too many people on social media discussing "their God" or stating "my God wouldn't say this or that" . . . that stuff drives me nuts. How are we so arrogant to think that we can put a limit on who or what God does? If you're all about leading others to a church just so you can get some notoriety/financial gains and NOT so they can grow spiritually and become closer to God then you're a huge part of the problem in today's church.

What's instering is how many non Christians telling Christians how they should act to be Christians. The same ones that call Christians fools for believing in a sky person.

They same ones that say men have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body because they are not a woman.
Once again, I will point out that the OP quotes the President of the Southern Baptist Church.

He is, presumably, a Christian.

As is Pope Francis:

“The president of the United States presents himself as pro-life and if he is a good pro-lifer, he understands that family is the cradle of life and its unity must be protected,” Francis told reporters on his plane, as he returned from a five-day trip to Colombia. "Claiming to stand for life, and then pursuing policies that tear apart families would be deeply hypocritical."
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/09/pope-francis-trump-daca

It’s not really about the Republican Party. There is a pushback among some Evangelicals specifically against Trump. Most Evangelicals can’t vote Democrat because of their stance on abortion.
See the above quote. There is more to being pro-life than being anti-abortion. Neither party is going to pass any sort of "purity test" if we are being honest.

Last edited:
Evangelicals are just being assimilated into the cult Of Trump.

Just denounce them when appropriate. Don't avoid the topic because it's not favorable.

Do folks want churches to stay out of politics or not?

Overall, Evangelicals have been unflagging in their support of President Trump, and the Republican Party in recent decades, but there is a sentiment among many church leaders that the group has allowed its identity to become too political. The new President of the Southern Baptists (an "evangelical sect" and the nation's largest Protestant sect) J.D. Greear is promising to bring a less politicized gospel to his followers.

Greear said on Monday:
"We believe that Jesus is the lord of the whole earth. He is the king of kings and he is the lord of lords. We believe that he, not any version of Caesar, is the Messiah. He is the Christ, the son of the living God, that salvation is found in him, not in the Republican platform or the Democratic platform, and that salvation did not come riding in on the wings of Air Force One. It came cradled in a manger."

Vice President Mike Pence addressed the Souther Baptist Convention yesterday, speaking briefly of his own personal conversion experience before going on to tout the political accomplishments of Donald Trump at length. There had been a vote to remove Pence as a speaker from the Convention the previous day-- but the motion only received about 30% support.

gettyimages-973541790_wide-2429582a75079a2e5099b4cef4427fcd1fb706dd-s800-c85.jpg

After Pence's speech, Greear tweeted:
"I know that sent a terribly mixed signal. We are grateful for civic leaders who want to speak to our Convention—but make no mistake about it, our identity is in the gospel and our unity is in the Great Commission. Commissioned missionaries, not political platforms, are what we do."

The election of Greear seems to crystallize the ascendancy of more politically moderate voices in the Southern Baptist Church; during the convention in which he was elected, resolutions were passed that called for more acceptance of immigrants, criticized the separation of families at the border and urged more generous treatment of refugees.

Greear's election comes at a tumultuous time, as leaders of several prominent Southern Baptist churches have been exposed as sexual predators, and the church's overall culture of suppressing the voices and concerns of women has been criticized.

Of the recent scandals Greear wrote:
"God is stirring in the SBC. He has exposed a startling amount of sin in our midst. He has shaken many of our foundations. And I actually think that’s good news, because whom the Lord loves, he chastens."

Greear, the youngest leader of the SBC to be elected in decades, also wrote of race relations, saying: "We need to recognize the leadership gifts of brothers and sisters of color that God has placed in our midst and embrace their leadership. This should have happened a long time ago, but in this new era we desperately need their wisdom and influence.”

Greear is pictured humorously in the middle between his described "protection"-- newly elected SBC Vice Presidents Felix Cabrera and Dr. A.B. Vines:

Dfm3lZqV4AAeU1C

https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...cted-southern-baptist-president-sbc-2018.html

Greear's message gives me hope for the Gospel in America. The Southern church has been perverted in recent decades-- and in many ways since its inception-- as it has allowed "Evangelicalism" to become a political and cultural identity rather than a genuine discipleship of Christ (this criticism is by no means limited to the Evangelicals; although, they are the most politicized of any American religious group:
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-co...2225/FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png)

If Greear succeeds in "de-weaponizing" the Evangelical Church as a platform of the Republican party, it would be a good thing, and a potentially major shift in American electoral politics. Good luck to President Greear and Peace to All People of Goodwill.

I certainly support the notion of depoliticizing many evangelical sects, most notably the Southern Baptists.

I missed where he directly or personally rebuked Pence. edit: Ah, saying Pence's speech sent a mixed message. Well, it did send a mixed message. If I showed up at a church conference and listened to a guy drone on about politics I'd be confused as to why I was there.

Last edited:
I've been going to church my entire life . . . I'm not even sure what an evangelical is . . .

Haha, kind of the same. I've come to realize that it's just a sometimes useful generalization whereby people mean American Protestants who aren't Pentecostal (I think) and who don't subscribe to liberal theology. More or less any Christian group in the US that isn't Catholic or Pentecostal and that believes in the Bible.

I’m stealing this. Can be used for an extremely sad number of people. Both public ones and friends/family I personally know
The concept has existed for as long as Christianity has existed. Christian folk I know refer to them blandly as nominal Christians.

I want christians to not be hypocrites, regardless of where they choose to air that hypocrisy.

You've met other people right? We're all hypocrites. That isn't limited to Christians.

You've met other people right? We're all hypocrites. That isn't limited to Christians.

I'm not limiting hypocrites to only christians. However, this thread is about christians, so mentioning the hypocrisy of engineers, or Bolivians, or art-dealers names Bob, isn't really on point.

I'm not limiting hypocrites to only christians. However, this thread is about christians, so mentioning the hypocrisy of engineers, or Bolivians, or art-dealers names Bob, isn't really on point.

Whatever you say . . . Bob.

The Lord of this world is Lucifer. What the hell is that guy talking about.

Back