South African hunter is believed to have been eaten by crocodiles

1. For almost all species of animals the stimulus or anguish of pain is nothing in consequence like it is in humanity. The notable exceptions being creatures such as primates and higher aquatic life.

A cat has no mental capacity to input "I suffer" like a child does, and never will, however badly we want to feel for the cries of a cute kitten, what you or I are feeling is our own emotional distress.

If the cat was your size and heard you crying, it would kill you or I, slowly, for fun.
Well I just don't agree with that but since neither you nor I can definitively know what's on the mind of a cat we're each left to a certain degree of speculation. I will point out that you are saying a big cat would kill "for fun" which in and of itself indicates some level of emotional development, doesn't it?

2. Choosing one "superlative" of the bunch, legal has mattered since the dawn of time, when we developed all the reason, morality, and escaped the brutal realm of nature enough to have sympathy for it.

Our great grandparents were slitting the throat's of hogs with rusty, curved knives. They did not morn the sow's demise, because they knew it was a necessity and natural part of life, not a crime against the gentle spirit of Gaia.
But your example is one of emotional detachment in the quest for survival, not deriving joy from the killing.

Again I'll stress that I'm not anti-hunting and hunted in my youth. Honestly there's a level of a spiritual "circle of life" type of feeling to hunting, and I always held my prey in highest reverence. Understand though that many people like myself simply have an innate sense of disgust when we see some fat asshole preening over the corpse of a lion like he's the new UFC Heavyweight Champion. Or that cheerleader hugging a dead cat like some little girl who just got a new stuffed animal for Christmas. I understand that not all people feel about animals the way I do and I accept that, but I don't think my emotional reaction to trophy hunting is invalid.

3. I always try to tell the truth to the best of my very limited ability, I do not wish to be high, nor mighty, because I am surely not.
Sorry I realized after I wrote it that it reads like I'm accusing you of that and it was not my intention. I was thinking of several posters earlier ITT who were accusing anyone who is celebrating this hunter's demise of being sick individuals.

I can tell you are a nice person who feels for animals, that is all well and good too, so my question is simple: would you be the one to tell his wife and children the news of his death, and would you do it with happiness? Would you tell them the world is a better place without your father because a man was eaten by a river dwelling reptile?
Well of course not but most of us have a bit of a dark sense of humor in certain situations. Have you never chuckled at least a bit when reading those Darwin Award stories of people who die doing really stupid shit? How about that fellow who died by inhaling the toxic fumes of the American flag he was burning? My favorite quote from that one was "That guy just couldn't handle the smell of freedom". I can't help but find that hilarious, but of course these people's family members probably don't feel that way about it. I might have felt vaguely guilty over the sardonic snicker that I let out when I read of this hunter's well-earned demise but hey, I guess that's part of human nature too.

So you're against bowfishing or spear fishing then?

Even when fishing "normally" with rod and hook you bash the fucker on the head when you pull it out.

No, I'm not against them, even if they are bloodlusty.

hi Gregolian,

if someone wants to hunt large and dangerous prey using a spear or a small knife or a sling and wander into the forest or jungle on foot - i still think that's pretty barbaric and strange, but it does put the "sport" aspect of things back into the equation.

Gregolian, i'm not a member of PETA or anything like that...i don't firebomb restaurants that serve foie gras and stuff like that. animals must be slaughtered for folks to eat meat, and i'm ok with enjoying a tasty piece of meat.

i'm just very happy the trophy hunter in the OP met such a painful and savage ending to his life.

- IGIT

So, you're a total hypocrite. Whining about an animal being unnecessarily killed and in the same breath saying it'd be more sporting if you attacked it with a knife. Unreal lol

hi once more IH (the hour grows late, my last post for the night),

i don't care what good works he did.

i don't believe there is a ledger kept, where if one collects enough gold stars, they're entitled to engage in sociopathic behavior.

who he was is irrelevant to me.

if he achieved a moment of deep, spiritual bliss as he watched his prey bleed out, achieving a "oneness" with whatever he slaughtered...lol...who cares?

i hope he enjoyed being on the receiving end of the kill, and was able to contemplate his own heart subsiding, as he was dragged underwater and ripped to pieces while 5000 pounds per square inch of force was being applied to his body via his conqueror's jaws.

- IGIT

That may be something to reconsider. If he were a saint in all other parts of his life, you would really be able to say it was great he was slaughtered by a prehistoric killing machine?

I understand that you feel that the "Neu," urban, and modern view of big game hunting shows it to be barbaric, sociopathic and so on.

However, what of spanking a child? Some would consider that child abuse, or serious child abuse. Should we laugh if the spanking parent is beaten to death?

What if the oppression of men has caused me to view them as sociopath, oppressive, ECT. and am fired up about the S.C.U.M. manifesto? Maybe I start making excuses for say shooting of Andy Warhol in feminist publications, high society, and continue till the assault is ambiguous in many circles, or even celebrated in the niche.

Is any of that healthy for the individual or the society? Is a personal view, and certainly it is a personal view, really wise to celebrate death?

I would say surely not. Are we all so forgone with our hate and our biases that we would giggle with glee when say an abortionist is bombed or a a pundit we hate is killed?

Violence and vitriol carried out against our own personal vermin may not be a good idea to project happiness about. Least of all we have a chance to change, and, that were he our friend, family, ECT. we would wish to have that chance.

Better persuasion than hatred, or who knows, maybe the world will celebrate our demise over something ridiculous.

Internet Hero was killed by a toaster? Fuck that guy, he hated microwaves!

That kind of thinking is something I feel we may want to rectify, but, I understand, and in some cases sure that tribal sense of justice fits... a child molester is raped in prison? We can mostly agree that is good. A rapist gets shot? Sure, absolutely.

But someone "guilty" of hunting, without knowing his character? Maybe someone who thinks what I do not like? I guarantee you, there would be posters giddy with glee if Rush Limbaugh or Rosie O Donnel respectively were murdered in their sleep, but that does not speak highly of them or of a society that promotes such ideas, at least not in my opinion.

Well I just don't agree with that but since neither you nor I can definitively know what's on the mind of a cat we're each left to a certain degree of speculation. I will point out that you are saying a big cat would kill "for fun" which in and of itself indicates some level of emotional development, doesn't it? (1)

But your example is one of emotional detachment in the quest for survival, not deriving joy from the killing.

Again I'll stress that I'm not anti-hunting and hunted in my youth. Honestly there's a level of a spiritual "circle of life" type of feeling to hunting, and I always held my prey in highest reverence. Understand though that many people like myself simply have an innate sense of disgust when we see some fat asshole preening over the corpse of a lion like he's the new UFC Heavyweight Champion. Or that cheerleader hugging a dead cat like some little girl who just got a new stuffed animal for Christmas. I understand that not all people feel about animals the way I do and I accept that, but I don't think my emotional reaction to trophy hunting is invalid. (2)

Sorry I realized after I wrote it that it reads like I'm accusing you of that and it was not my intention. I was thinking of several posters earlier ITT who were accusing anyone who is celebrating this hunter's demise of being sick individuals. (3)

Well of course not but most of us have a bit of a dark sense of humor in certain situations. Have you never chuckled at least a bit when reading those Darwin Award stories of people who die doing really stupid shit? How about that fellow who died by inhaling the toxic fumes of the American flag he was burning? My favorite quote from that one was "That guy just couldn't handle the smell of freedom". I can't help but find that hilarious, but of course these people's family members probably don't feel that way about it. I might have felt vaguely guilty over the sardonic snicker that I let out when I read of this hunter's well-earned demise but hey, I guess that's part of human nature too. (4)

1. That is a bit of an argument from incredulity to be fair.

A. Saying that a child would be like a cat because there is no conclusive 110% proof (outside of the most logical comparisons of the morality, decision making, and psychological and physiological differences between Cat Vs Child.) is not saying we can not make a very, very informed decision saying that a cat would be like a child.

B. That's also unfair I feel, as an animals sense of killing for sport, or behavior training, ECT. is being projected through your or my lens of what it means to be human, not what it means to be cat and want to chew off the head of a mouse.

Perhaps I am quibbling though. Who cares? The rest of our discussion is more interesting...

On that note, there was a fun research study suggesting that cat's would kill and eat their masters if they could. I could find it for kicks if you like!

2. Fair enough, but being an emotional reaction, therein lies danger, especially if we are lauding the death of a man we do not know.

3. No problem, and thank you for the honesty, I'll try to be honest as well and give my opinion.

"I understand that people could hate big game hunting, or even feel satisfied a big game hunter died, but I do not think that is moral or morally wise as a decision."

4. It is natural to have that dark sense of humor as well.

I laughed when Eric Cartman of Southpark fed his enemy (another youth) his own dead parents who were cooked in a soup in front of the whole town... but, I am not so confident it was right to laugh, or that those kind of influences are good for me, you, or anyone.

I think jaded cynicism might be partly what is eating us alive. The world is cynical, and ugly, and brutal, however, as humans who can show compassion, I believe compassion should be our first choice.

Back