South African hunter is believed to have been eaten by crocodiles

See, I get real confused at what is actually considered trophy hunting... I've had people tell me that if I were to get a deer (I went blacktail hunting this past fall.. didn't see shit but spikes) and I have always said first buck I get I don't care how wimpy looking the rack his I will probably get the skull and horns preserved (not a fan of keeping the fur on the head, always thought that was weird) to mount in my home and have friends here in WA that are uber hippies call me a trophy hunter (even though I'd eat the whole damn deer)

If you process and eat the deer I have no problem with that. I have no problem with mounting a deer as long as the meat was not wasted.

I guess my issue is how the animals life is respected. That may be splitting hairs but it makes a difference to me.

Yeah, I scrub the fur off the skull. It is creepy and dogs will go after it like a chew toy.

We cool? :)

See, you say this (and many others do as well) or tell them to use a spear and then a guy goes and does this:

And then everyone throws a fucking fit. You can't have it both ways while chomping on the hamburger you bought yesterday.

Id prefer if spear was illegal . I think the point is a quick clean death and im not sure that spears accomplish that goal. To me one of the most important parts of a hunt is I want my animal down dead before he even new. Same as Id prefer someone do me if Im to be shot.

Its too brutal for my tastes.

Satisfaction of "getting a trophy", what does that mean though? Being close to a majestic animal and getting your picture taken together? That could be accomplished without killing an animal, by visiting a zoo. We know these people get satisfaction not merely from posing next to animals or even DEAD animals or having the animal's body as a decoration. They want to KILL the animals.

If there was a serial murderer who killed people for 'sport', would you say he didn't have bloodlust, but instead was killing people to "get trophies"? I wouldn't. They're not mutually exclusive.

Would you say fishermen that try to catch the largest fish they can and then have it mounted are fishing because of bloodlust and enjoying the kill? Maybe some are, but not in my experience.
So what's different about safari/big game hunters?
Trophy hunting isn't my thing, but that's not enough reason for me to make trophy hunters out to be some sort of kill happy, morally deficient weirdos.
Of course I have no faith in privatisation as a conservation solution, and I'm against irresponsible and unsustainable hunting, so I'm often opposed to it on those grounds.

Satisfaction of "getting a trophy", what does that mean though? Being close to a majestic animal and getting your picture taken together? That could be accomplished without killing an animal, by visiting a zoo. We know these people get satisfaction not merely from posing next to animals or even DEAD animals or having the animal's body as a decoration. They want to KILL the animals.

If there was a serial murderer who killed people for 'sport', would you say he didn't have bloodlust, but instead was killing people to "get trophies"? I wouldn't. They're not mutually exclusive.

I come from a family of hunters, and I can tell you that even those that hunt for meat can thoroughly enjoy killing animals. This is something that is lost in this conversation- people put "regular" hunters in a different category, but just because you end up eating the animal, doesn't mean you can't have just as much, if not more blood-lust.

Id prefer if spear was illegal . I think the point is a quick clean death and im not sure that spears accomplish that goal. To me one of the most important parts of a hunt is I want my animal down dead before he even new. Same as Id prefer someone do me if Im to be shot.

Its too brutal for my tastes.
It's a bit brutal for me too and I agree that I'd prefer a quick clean one shot the animal goes down but there's something to be said for a guy willing to hunt a damn bear with a spear.

If you process and eat the deer I have no problem with that. I have no problem with mounting a deer as long as the meat was not wasted.

I guess my issue is how the animals life is respected. That may be splitting hairs but it makes a difference to me.

Yeah, I scrub the fur off the skull. It is creepy and dogs will go after it like a chew toy.

We cool? :)
Yeah

What a grossly overused statement. Let me guess, people buy trucks because they have small dicks right?

Mostly. Douchebags with Tonka trucks that don't haul anything but their fat wives and groceries are fucking pathetic. Glad you highlighted that.

What a grossly overused statement. Let me guess, people buy trucks because they have small dicks right?

SOme do. Its not like there arent a lot of insecure people out there posturing in all kinds of ways or anything.

I think its one of those statements where only the guys that its true about get upset and everyone else just blows it off .

I've seen my cat kill for no other reason than it could. Same goes for gentle dogs "that would never hurt a fly." There are videos of cape buffalo, rhinos, elephants and various wildlife attacking other animals for no discernible reason. Humans aren't the only ones that kill for reasons other than survival. So the chances are all those majestic beasts that were hunted for sport have exhibited their share of behavior we find unpalatable and reprehensible.

My point? Is the outrage about the act of sport hunting itself? Or is it more about the feeling that we as humans should be above it all? That we should know better, and a sort of disappointment that somehow, some of us haven't "evolved above it all"?

Just thinking out loud.

Try google. Use Australia as the country, and you'll see what it means here.
I've already spelt it out though.

hi Ruprecht,

i googled the word feral already, i wanted to make sure i had the correct usage.

i am not incorrect in stating that "feral" means wild.

all animals that are not domesticated are feral. whales are feral. giraffes are feral. great white sharks are feral. etc, etc.

- IGIT

hi Ruprecht,

i googled the word feral already, i wanted to make sure i had the correct usage.

all animals that are not domesticated are feral. whales are feral. giraffes are feral. great white sharks are feral. etc, etc.

- IGIT
Feral has come to mean animals that were once domesticated that now live in the wild though. My source, having worked in a veterinary clinic that worked to trap, spay/neuter feral cats.

Also, Merriam Webster...
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feral

Definition of feral
  1. 1: of, relating to, or suggestive of a wild beast feral teeth feral instincts

2. 2a : not domesticated or cultivated : wild feral animalsb : having escaped from domestication and become wild feral cats

#2 is the one we are using.

Last edited:
hi Ruprecht,

- IGIT

No you didn't. Even a dictionary definition will give you both meanings, let alone anything on animal classification in relation to hunting.

No good!

My parents are on vacation in S. Africa. They are having a wonderful time! Lots of wild and dangerous animals to see in the trip.

Opinions would change of course if someone on the tour was eaten.

hello and well met, Burning Hammer,

Why would you do be happy someone who trophy hunts legally dies?

why would i be happy?

let's see...hmmm.

well, i think anyone who trophy hunts is a sociopath. this fellow, though, was worse than the garden variety trophy hunter. he aided and abetted trophy hunters through his "safari company".

if he could have died a few times, by progressively more brutal means each time, i'd have been happier.

Every time I've killed an animal it wasn't just so I could kill something.

good. i think it's a positive thing to kill for reasons other than just the joy that killing things brings some people.

I'd much rather end an animals life by instantly killing it than by having die over the course of a few minutes or hours. Spear hunting is just brutality at this point IMO.

you're probably right.

still...something within me likes the idea of one of these thrill seeking trophy hunters being put on a more even footing in their "sporting contest" against apex predators.

- IGIT

Last edited:
hullo again Gutter Christopher,

If it really bugs you you should just wish that those who hunt in that style would have a change of heart......

i would very much like them to have a change of heart, that would be most optimal.

Also you could argue that those hunters you dont like are the only thing thats keeping those animals alive in the wild and if it wasnt for the hunts there would be no money to buy acres and make them protected

ecotourism brings in far more dollars to Africa than the handful of trophy hunters do, though.

I dont disagree with you that big game trophy types are degenerates but what you wish to happen seems cruel and once you get passed the emotion of it is counter productive.

maybe.

i still like the idea of the crocodiles eating Mr. Van Zyl.

i hope Mr. Van Zyl experienced both the primal fear and the mind altering agony that his prey have felt in the past.

- IGIT

No you didn't. Even a dictionary definition will give you both meanings, let alone anything on animal classification in relation to hunting.

hi ho Rup,

i did too, lol.

i googled "feral" and clicked on the definition provided by Dictionary.com.

i've liked your posts in the past, i think, so no offense, but if this thread has come down to hair splitting over tautology, i think i may be about done here.

*salutes*

- IGIT

Would you say fishermen that try to catch the largest fish they can and then have it mounted are fishing because of bloodlust and enjoying the kill? Maybe some are, but not in my experience.
So what's different about safari/big game hunters?
Trophy hunting isn't my thing, but that's not enough reason for me to make trophy hunters out to be some sort of kill happy, morally deficient weirdos.
Of course I have no faith in privatisation as a conservation solution, and I'm against irresponsible and unsustainable hunting, so I'm often opposed to it on those grounds.

How the animal is 'harvested' is different. If a fisherman was fond of shooting fish or spearing them to death, yes, I'd say he had bloodlust. Killing an animal by removing it from its natural habitat and letting it die as a consequence seems less bloodlusty to me. Though I think mounting any animal, even a fish, is vainglorious. And the fact that there's a significant difference in intelligence and majesty between fish on one hand and lions, bears, elephants is a huge factor in my opposition to killing the latter for 'sport'.

How the animal is 'harvested' is different. If a fisherman was fond of shooting fish or spearing them to death, yes, I'd say he had bloodlust. Killing an animal by removing it from its natural habitat and letting it die as a consequence seems less bloodlusty to me. Though I think mounting any animal, even a fish, is vainglorious. And the fact that there's a significant difference in intelligence and majesty between fish on one hand and lions, bears, elephants is a huge factor in my opposition to killing the latter for 'sport'.
So you're against bowfishing or spear fishing then?

Even when fishing "normally" with rod and hook you bash the fucker on the head when you pull it out.

Back