South African hunter is believed to have been eaten by crocodiles

hello once more Ruprecht,

if the animal is being hunted for sustenance or because it's causing damage to one's property - those seem like reasonable motivations to kill.

for an American to book an expensive trip overseas purely for the pleasure of killing an unusual animal and having its stuffed and displayed in their home?

barbarism.

in those cases, i wish every single one of those "hunters" could meet the same fate of Mr. van Zyl. i wish there was video of the incident, frankly.

- IGIT

Hello again IGIT. I rarely see you get heated. I agree with you.

My father hunted and I did as well in my younger days. Squirrels mostly and a couple of deer. We always ate what we killed. I had respect for every animal that I hunted.

See, you say this (and many others do as well) or tell them to use a spear and then a guy goes and does this:

And then everyone throws a fucking fit. You can't have it both ways while chomping on the hamburger you bought yesterday.

hi Gregolian,

if someone wants to hunt large and dangerous prey using a spear or a small knife or a sling and wander into the forest or jungle on foot - i still think that's pretty barbaric and strange, but it does put the "sport" aspect of things back into the equation.

Gregolian, i'm not a member of PETA or anything like that...i don't firebomb restaurants that serve foie gras and stuff like that. animals must be slaughtered for folks to eat meat, and i'm ok with enjoying a tasty piece of meat.

i'm just very happy the trophy hunter in the OP met such a painful and savage ending to his life.

- IGIT

Hunting is like most things there are people that do it right and responsible and others that are just assholes and want to kill shit no matter what. I don't agree with trophy hunting though it's kinda fucked.

Because you haven't tasted wild game meat and experienced the pleasure of knowing exactly where your food has come from and known the process for how you quartered it out and then butchered it to store it and eat it.

hello Gregolian,

i've done all these things, my friend.

- IGIT

greetings and good morning Ruprecht,

i only asked because i've often heard that "mankind has always hunted, its something natural and essential to our makeup", as a rationale for hunting.

i can understand hunting if the reasoning is for food. particularly if there are no grocery stores or if its being done for economic reasons.

i find the killing of things because one wants to stuff their kill and display it in their homes, though, to be very strange...and barbaric. not a laudable reason to kill things.

feral simply means "wild". presumably, you're saying that while no one enjoys shooting pet dogs or hamsters?

i get that.

stalking an animal that is living its life out in its natural habitat purely for the joy of ending its life, though? i think people who engage in such activity are unhealthy, psychologically.

- IGIT

No, feral refers to the descendants of domesticated animals. Particularly introduced (invasive) species. Pests refers to those which have a negative effect on the environment and human activity/living conditions. Feral pests here include rabbits, cats, foxes, pigs, goats,deer, camels, horses and buffalo.
We've wreaked havoc on ecosystems by introducing species foreign to isolated ecosystems (ie Australia), and attempts to correct this by introducing their predators or diseases haven't succeeded (in notable cases, such as with cane toads, they've made things worse).
Conservation hunting and bounty systems have been an important part of combating the problem.

No, feral refers to the descendants of domesticated animals. Particularly introduced (invasive) species. Pests refers to those which have a negative effect on the environment and human activity/living conditions. Feral pests here include rabbits, cats, foxes, pigs, goats,deer, camels, horses and buffalo.
We've wreaked havoc on ecosystems by introducing species foreign to isolated ecosystems (ie Australia), and attempts to correct this by introducing their predators or diseases haven't succeeded (in notable cases, such as with cane toads, they've made things worse).
Conservation hunting and bounty systems have been an important part of combating the problem.

hello Rup,

i gotta head out to work, but the definition of a feral animal is that it's wild - as opposed to a domesticated animal, like a pet bunny or Lassie.

i might post from work later, but if not, have a great day!

- IGIT

Who gives a shit about this single, solitary, selfish human? None of you. Shelf your fake outrage and virtue butthurt.

"One death is a tragedy, one Million is a statistic."

- Josef Stalin

People forget sometimes that there are things in the forest/jungle/outback/swamp, that WILL kill you. All it takes is for you to drop your guard, in the wrong circumstances, just once...

hello Rup,

i gotta head out to work, but the definition of a feral animal is that it's wild - as opposed to a domesticated animal, like a pet bunny or Lassie.

i might post from work later, but if not, have a great day!

- IGIT

Try google. Use Australia as the country, and you'll see what it means here.
I've already spelt it out though.

I suspect you've never had decently prepared wild game.

As I have said, I have hunted and killed many squirrel and two deer.

I make a milk and butter stew with squirrel, like an oyster stew. And with deer I always eat the backstrap(tenderloin) fresh. Dust slices with flower and fry and serve on biscuits.

Don't presume to know anything about me. All you have to do is ask.

hi Gregolian,

if someone wants to hunt large and dangerous prey using a spear or a small knife or a sling and wander into the forest or jungle on foot - i still think that's pretty barbaric and strange, but it does put the "sport" aspect of things back into the equation.

Gregolian, i'm not a member of PETA or anything like that...i don't firebomb restaurants that serve foie gras and stuff like that. animals must be slaughtered for folks to eat meat, and i'm ok with enjoying a tasty piece of meat.

i'm just very happy the trophy hunter in the OP met such a painful and savage ending to his life.

- IGIT

Why would you do be happy someone who trophy hunts legally dies? Every time I've killed an animal it wasn't just so I could kill something. I'd much rather end an animals life by instantly killing it than by having die over the course of a few minutes or hours. Spear hunting is just brutality at this point IMO.

As I have said, I have hunted and killed many squirrel and two deer.

I make a milk and butter stew with squirrel, like an oyster stew. And with deer I always eat the backstrap(tenderloin) fresh. Dust slices with flower and fry and serve on biscuits.

Don't presume to know anything about me. All you have to do is ask.
Then what's your issue with hunting?

Why would you do be happy someone who trophy hunts legally dies? Every time I've killed an animal it wasn't just so I could kill something. I'd much rather end an animals life by instantly killing it than by having die over the course of a few minutes or hours. Spear hunting is just brutality at this point IMO.

Trophy hunting is a sad pissing contest done by insecure people.

even though my name is Hunter, and I get asked alllllll the time I'm not much of a hunter. That being said, I don't feel too sorry for this guy nor do I hate on him. You mess around w/ massive wild animals, and shit happens sometimes

Now had he been in his shower chilling and a croc surprised him and ate him, THAT would be some crazy shit

Not hunting, just trophy hunting.
See, I get real confused at what is actually considered trophy hunting... I've had people tell me that if I were to get a deer (I went blacktail hunting this past fall.. didn't see shit but spikes) and I have always said first buck I get I don't care how wimpy looking the rack his I will probably get the skull and horns preserved (not a fan of keeping the fur on the head, always thought that was weird) to mount in my home and have friends here in WA that are uber hippies call me a trophy hunter (even though I'd eat the whole damn deer)

hello once more Ruprecht,

if the animal is being hunted for sustenance or because it's causing damage to one's property - those seem like reasonable motivations to kill.

for an American to book an expensive trip overseas purely for the pleasure of killing an unusual animal and having its stuffed and displayed in their home?

barbarism.

in those cases, i wish every single one of those "hunters" could meet the same fate of Mr. van Zyl. i wish there was video of the incident, frankly.

- IGIT

If it really bugs you you should just wish that those who hunt in that style would have a change of heart...... If the animal kills the hunter like you want instead of maybe living to old age that animal is going to be culled asap. And sometimes they gotta kill a few of them to be sure they got the man eater. It just leads to even more of the dead animals you wish hadnt been killed.

Also you could argue that those hunters you dont like are the only thing thats keeping those animals alive in the wild and if it wasnt for the hunts there would be no money to buy acres and make them protected.

I dont disagree with you that big game trophy types are degenerates but what you wish to happen seems cruel and once you get passed the emotion of it is counter productive.

See, I get real confused at what is actually considered trophy hunting... I've had people tell me that if I were to get a deer (I went blacktail hunting this past fall.. didn't see shit but spikes) and I have always said first buck I get I don't care how wimpy looking the rack his I will probably get the skull and horns preserved (not a fan of keeping the fur on the head, always thought that was weird) to mount in my home and have friends here in WA that are uber hippies call me a trophy hunter (even though I'd eat the whole damn deer)

I think trophy hunting is things like lion and elephant. Animals you had no intention to eat are totally endangered and the only reason it was killed is for its head or claws or that kinda thing.

You take a trophy when you drop the first of any animal to celebrate I did it and show everyone you know but you dont just come home with a head and feet you bring the whole thing up and consume it.

If you use the animal you might have took a trophy but you didnt trophy hunt it .

Last edited:
Photographers do just that. In terms of hunting though, It depends on the reason for the hunt. Whether it's for food, the elimination of feral pests or getting a trophy, killing the animal is the practical goal.

Satisfaction of "getting a trophy", what does that mean though? Being close to a majestic animal and getting your picture taken together? That could be accomplished without killing an animal, by visiting a zoo. We know these people get satisfaction not merely from posing next to animals or even DEAD animals or having the animal's body as a decoration. They want to KILL the animals.

If there was a serial murderer who killed people for 'sport', would you say he didn't have bloodlust, but instead was killing people to "get trophies"? I wouldn't. They're not mutually exclusive.

Back