Sorry, Im from MMA silly boxing question

Bingo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am from MMA. I love both sports, however recently I started watching boxing with the same love I do with MMA and its grown on me, Canelo is my favourite fighter

Anyways now to the question. I understand boxing has their own promoters, but can someone explain to me how the whole situation works with HBO. like what is HBO, what is showtime and how do the promoters work with them, how are fights organised and how do promoters get insane amounts of money to pay for the big fights.

Again, sorry I'm a noob its much more simple to understand with the UFC and I am genuinely interested in boxing and how it works

Hey all,

I am from MMA. I love both sports, however recently I started watching boxing with the same love I do with MMA and its grown on me, Canelo is my favourite fighter

Anyways now to the question. I understand boxing has their own promoters, but can someone explain to me how the whole situation works with HBO. like what is HBO, what is showtime and how do the promoters work with them, how are fights organised and how do promoters get insane amounts of money to pay for the big fights.

Again, sorry I'm a noob its much more simple to understand with the UFC and I am genuinely interested in boxing and how it works
HBO and Showtime are premium cable network television stations. They both have boxing on their networks. They are direct competitors.
Both networks offer fights in 2 ways. Sometimes they show them for free to people who have the channel as part of their cable subscription . Or for the bigger fights they charge you a large Pay Per View fee that you have to order extra.
So they are in charge of making sure the boxing matches get to your TV. The filming, the broadcasting, and the commentary. Because of this a lot of top level boxers sign a contract or commit to a certain network because the network pays the boxers to fight on their channel. This can make things very difficult or impossible at times to work out if a fighter is signed to or committed to a different network than the other boxer.
It gets way more complicated than this. But this is a basic general scenario. The promoters and managers work with the network to secure a deal and to do all the legal stuff to ensure the fighters get paid. The promoters also secure the venues and tickets aka the gate. They are in charge of the actual planning and running of the event. Also the advertising of it but the networks help with that too I guess.

With boxing everything is separate and every fighter can choose their own. Some of this is even required by law.

UFC is technically a promoter. But they only allow their fighters to fight other fighters who are also signed to the UFC promotion. Because everything is under one promotion the UFC chooses and gets paid by what network they make an exclusive deal with. I think they handle their own Pay Per View though.

Last edited:
HBO and Showtime are premium cable network television stations. They both have boxing on their networks. They are direct competitors.
Both networks offer fights in 2 ways. Sometimes they show them for free to people who have the channel as part of their cable subscription . Or for the bigger fights they charge you a large Pay Per View fee that you have to order extra.
So they are in charge of making sure the boxing matches get to your TV. The filming, the broadcasting, and the commentary. Because of this a lot of top level boxers sign a contract or commit to a certain network because the network pays the boxers to fight on their channel. This can make things very difficult or impossible at times to work out if a fighter is signed to or committed to a different network than the other boxer.
It gets way more complicated than this. But this is a basic general scenario. The promoters and managers work with the network to secure a deal and to do all the legal stuff to ensure the fighters get paid. The promoters also secure the venues and tickets aka the gate. They are in charge of the actual planning and running of the event. Also the advertising of it but the networks help with that too I guess.

With boxing everything is separate and every fighter can choose their own. Some of this is even required by law.

UFC is technically a promoter. But they only allow their fighters to fight other fighters who are also signed to the UFC promotion. Because everything is under one promotion the UFC chooses and gets paid by what network they make an exclusive deal with. I think they handle their own Pay Per View though.
Thank you so much. I completely get it now. I live in Australia so HBO and Showtime channels confuse me and now it makes sense now that you said it gets complicated when fighters signed to hbo fight Showtime contracted ones. Thanks again

Thank you so much. I completely get it now. I live in Australia so HBO and Showtime channels confuse me and now it makes sense now that you said it gets complicated when fighters signed to hbo fight Showtime contracted ones. Thanks again
Welcome. Yeah those 2 networks are very popular in the USA. People pay ridiculous amounts of money to add them to their cable bills. They also show some of the most popular American t.v. series and newer movies. They even have additional niche channels too bearing their names. Boxing isn't even their bread and butter. At certain points both of them wanted out of boxing. lol

A lot of the huge purses fighters get has EVERYTHING to do with the competition between different promoters and channels which is exactly the opposite of how it works with the MMA stuff. The lack of other big organizations almost gives the UFC a monopoly so they can make money hand or fist while the fighters get much less than you would expect.

Boxing is more complicated for sure but I think it's better for the fighters because they can control their careers where in the UFC if Dana decides he doesn't like you you're pretty much screwed.

As long as you have some of the main channels though and keep up with the news to know when the fights are happening it's not that hard to follow. I watch boxing on YouTube as well and sometimes when a fight happens overseas somewhere the site will have it automatically for me on the front page.

Back