Sore throat

Garlic yum

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently started training BJJ. Yesterday we did rear naked chokes, another new guy tried it twice on me. Felt like he got a pretty bad choke both times and it more hurt my throat than compressing my arteries.

Today my throat is a little sore whenever I swallow. Could this be from just two rear naked choke attempts?
Trying to figure out if I'm getting a cold and should take it easy a few days or if I'm good to train.

It could be from the chokes. Getting what feels like a sore throat can happen from time to time. Do you have anything else that is wrong with you that points towards a cold? If you are not sure I would not go to class today and see how you feel tomorrow. If you think you might be sick stay home and don't share your illness.

It could be from the chokes. Getting what feels like a sore throat can happen from time to time. Do you have anything else that is wrong with you that points towards a cold? If you are not sure I would not go to class today and see how you feel tomorrow. If you think you might be sick stay home and don't share your illness.

Not really anything else, but good point don't wanna risk getting my training partners sick, guess there's always tomorrow!

Yes it feels like a sick, sore throat. But its actually just from the chokes.

Yes it feels like a sick, sore throat. But its actually just from the chokes.
Thanks! Will not skip practice next time then, felt exactly like when I'm starting to get a cold, but the pain is already starting to fade away

It is from the choke, I am currently suffering from the same thing. As you said, it must have been a bad RNC with your opponent's forearm pressuring the trachia instead of stopping the blood flow in the arteries on the sides of your neck (or something similar).

You can continue to train but try to avoid chokes and guillotines until it heals.

Back