Sore Throat from a Choke

I had my first bjj class yesterday, and a guy did a sleeve choke from halfgaurd and I now can barly talk. I love bjj, but I'm not sure how to avoid such tactics when rolling. I thought it was a gentle art that would allow me to work the next day. Granted, it's just a sore throat, but still.... :(

Just saw this the other day:

549256_544888228889884_1533842144_n.jpg

I've had it for about two weeks before. Throat crush. I think it's bruising on the windpipe/adams apple.

Allow me to tell you the story of when I pretend-grappled with a girl who didn't know anything about grappling. She was standing on a chair (I forget why) and we were drinking at a party and I hugged her legs pretending to take her down but not really doing anything. So, being drunk, she took this opportunity to playfully guillotine choke me like it's the most friendly thing to do, which is of course the only choke she knows, being untrained. It was not a blood choke but my trachea was subjected to INTENSE pain. Conveniently she neglected to stop choking me after I tapped very quickly. She held on 5 seconds after I tapped out, causing me to gag and throw up a little. She says later "Sorry I'm not trained in your sports so I'm not sensitized to that tapping out thing, I forgot what it means!".

My throat hurt for THREE WEEKS!

My daughters are learning Jiu Jitsu too. They just started last spring (same time I did), so I was telling my buddy that they were learning some techniques. He doubted that they had the strength it would take for an effective rear naked choke.

My 12 year old (11 at the time) put him in a RNC by request, but the thing was, she was a little nervous and she felt like she was being put to the test, so she got exctied and kinda "smashed" it on. She fucked up his throat up for weeks.

I gave her trouble, explaining that she has to always have control no matter which technique she is applying.

But yeah, his throat was sore for weeks. Over a month actually.

I totally had this and it weirded me out at first.

We were drilling different RNC techniques and this tough old wrestler crunched my larnyx.

Yeah it's fucking freaky. When I had it, the pain was so "everywhere" in my throat that I was sure I developed throat cancer. It set off my paranoia in a pretty big way.

:redface:

Anyone have a sore throat from a nasty gi choke that lasted more than a week? Just wondering if this could be considered normal. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Was getting better then I woke up this morning and it hurts on one side when I swallow. Almost liek if I was sick and had a sore throat, but just on one side. Wierd...

Same thing just happened to me, it has been over a week and throat still sore. Seems like it got a little worse since yesterday. I did train two days ago which may have re aggravated it. It was not from a choke but from the training partner pressing down on my throat and sideways. I should have tapped earlier.

Allow me to tell you the story of when I pretend-grappled with a girl who didn't know anything about grappling. She was standing on a chair (I forget why) and we were drinking at a party and I hugged her legs pretending to take her down but not really doing anything. So, being drunk, she took this opportunity to playfully guillotine choke me like it's the most friendly thing to do, which is of course the only choke she knows, being untrained. It was not a blood choke but my trachea was subjected to INTENSE pain. Conveniently she neglected to stop choking me after I tapped very quickly. She held on 5 seconds after I tapped out, causing me to gag and throw up a little. She says later "Sorry I'm not trained in your sports so I'm not sensitized to that tapping out thing, I forgot what it means!".

My throat hurt for THREE WEEKS!

You no hespect the choke.

What you espect to happen?

An improper RNC done to me in competition not only gave me a painful throat over the next few weeks, but it also severely inhibited my ability to sing falsetto.

Learn to do chokes right, people. Maybe pansies like myself will tap to bad ones, but you never know when you'll face a tough guy with a strong neck who won't. If you do it right, it's lights out if he doesn't tap. That's the beauty of jiu-jitsu: strength doesn't trump physiology.
I agree that obviously you should make your chokes as "blood choke" as is possible; there are some chokes however that do have a good wind pipe component (Marcellotine, short bar arm RNC) and it can't be helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back