Sore Throat from a Choke

If we're ever working clock chokes or something like that in class, sometimes I'll notice my throat's a little sore the next day.

Like everyone else already said, a week seems unusually long.

mine was a little sore after some rear naked chokes. felt better eventually

It happens, don't worry. Just get to bed early and take care. If it persists then go to the doctor and try to get some antibiotics because it might have got infected.

after doing some research im not as worried anymore. but still, gi chokes kill!!

I've gotten sore throats and I think I've even gotten infected and ear problems (transient) from RNCs applied in the old school manner. The Kodokan book shows it as a tracheal choke and some people still do it that way because it's usually easier. It's usually bad to do training since it hurts for days later and can cause real damage, whereas a carotid choke/strangulation will not.

I had the exact same experience. During a drill a newbie slapped on a windpipe choke real hard. It crushed my windpipe before I had a chance to tap. My throat was sore for about 2 weeks.

I've had this happen too from a cranked windpipe choke (I don't even think he had hooks in, which is why it took me by surprise). I also heard a couple of pops, which I assume was some sort of cartilage in my throat. My throat was sore for about 3 weeks (or maybe longer). It sucked...bad.

I had it happen from a nasty Ezekiel.

The soreness went away after a month. I heard a definite pop when it happened. At the two week mark when it wasn't going away I went to the doc and got scoped, they found nothing wrong, and just said it was the cartilage/tendons were disturbed/strained.

It felt exactly like strep throat though, however, it was not inside the throat. Pretty weird.

Just tap early to any type of choke for a bit, save your neck. Go to a doc to be sure, but you should be fine, just give it time.

An improper RNC done to me in competition not only gave me a painful throat over the next few weeks, but it also severely inhibited my ability to sing falsetto.

Learn to do chokes right, people. Maybe pansies like myself will tap to bad ones, but you never know when you'll face a tough guy with a strong neck who won't. If you do it right, it's lights out if he doesn't tap. That's the beauty of jiu-jitsu: strength doesn't trump physiology.

An improper RNC done to me in competition not only gave me a painful throat over the next few weeks, but it also severely inhibited my ability to sing falsetto.

Learn to do chokes right, people. Maybe pansies like myself will tap to bad ones, but you never know when you'll face a tough guy with a strong neck who won't. If you do it right, it's lights out if he doesn't tap. That's the beauty of jiu-jitsu: strength doesn't trump physiology.

Yeah, I would tap to tracheal commpression even if it's barely in just to avoid prolonged misery, wheras I would fight a blood choke as long as possible. A lot of people may just say "toughen up" but those tracheal compressions are not as effective if someone is going all out (life or death) and may increase your liability in a self defense senario. And they just suck in training.

Definitely amputate.

With local anesthetic you should feel no pain, and recover in 1-3 weeks.

Anyone have a sore throat from a nasty gi choke that lasted more than a week? Just wondering if this could be considered normal. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Was getting better then I woke up this morning and it hurts on one side when I swallow. Almost liek if I was sick and had a sore throat, but just on one side. Wierd...

my throat hurt for about 4 days when i got RNC'd then it went away

Nothing normal about that. Take some norepinephrine, mix with a little barbituate/ibuprofen/vodka, tell someone how much you care about them.

In a few days you'll feel fine. Hopefully, you will remember none of this. You should, however, remember to tap a little earlier or accept that bumps and bruises are a part of any physical sport.

To be serious though, it's very normal. With gi chokes you sometimes even see friction burns along the neck. If it doesn't go away in a couple of days you might take some ibuprofen. If it's affecting your daily functioning, go see a doc.

same here, my 3rd day of BJJ and it feels like i stuck swords in my throat

Yea I had one from a RNC that lasted about a week. I have gotten sore a sore throat from being choked a few times and they can be painful, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hahaha, i went to a Juliano Prado seminar and the move of the day was the "soup choke"........ he explained its name by saying after it is applied correctly you will be eating soup only for a week.

It happens, drink warm (not hot) tea with some honey in it, probably sooth it a bit.

We drilled guillotines one night, and for the next 4-5 days my throat killed me and I talked like i had a frog in my throat. It sucks, but it goes away.

Last night was my first BJJ class. I was choked repeatedly. I was even choked with my own arm! I had to laugh once I caught my breath.

Today my throat hurts as if I had a slight cold coming on.

I am freaking addicted already!

Back