Sony is Skipping E3 2019

rikwebb

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's damage control, but right after they announced it, an user on Reddit started saying Sony would come back with the PSX next year and would make a presentation similar to Nintendo Direct as well. Also the PS5 would be announced at this presentation.

It's too much information, let's see.

I don't know if it's damage control, but right after they announced it, an user on Reddit started saying Sony would come back with the PSX next year and would make a presentation similar to Nintendo Direct as well. Also the PS5 would be announced at this presentation.

It's too much information, let's see.

This one? Saw it on Resetera earlier when going through a nextgen thread on there.

If so he seems to have quite a bit of "possible" info,. Might be worth keeping an eye out on anything he posts for now. Theres also a rumour on Anthem they've posted too on that page.

E3 is slowly fading into obscurity.

E3 is dying

I love E3 and watching the press conferences live, Sony no showing is a blow to the event, pretty much making it irrelevant. So long as their PS Experience is similar, I don't really care.

I'm super pumped for the PS5, namely what they'll do VR wise

The majority of games Sony and Microsoft show are third party anyway, so you'll still see plenty of PS4 games even if Sony no shows.

Isn't it a bit early to talk about the PS5? I haven't really followed consoles in recent years but it seems like they released the PS4 not that long ago.

8 years passed between the release of the Xbox 360/PS3 and Xbox One/PS4.

Isn't it a bit early to talk about the PS5? I haven't really followed consoles in recent years but it seems like they released the PS4 not that long ago.

Any speculation has it being released in 2020. That would make it 7 years since the PS4 launched.

I like E3 but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was cancelled soon. Nintendo gets it with their Directs. Just deliver the content online and skip all the costs and fanboy stench

Last week it was 5 years ago that the Ps4 released, doesn't feel that long ago. 6 years seems to be the average for console generations. Plus we're looking at very late 2019 to Mid 2020 for a release of the PS5 at least.

Developers have been putting up job postings looking for people to start working on Next Gen stuff. Treyarch and Square Enix are some of the bigger ones recently.

The only thing I'm worried is if Sony returned to their selfish and arrogant days like in the PS3 development and it's early years, they needed to work a lot to catch the X360 in the end of the generation. The history the PS2 created meant nothing.

They won this generation because of that terrible E3 Microsoft did in 2013, and now they are giving that same stage on a silver platter.

I don't even count Nintendo not participating because they are on their own niche.

Last edited:
A sign of the times. The cost for these venues to rent out and set up booths is astronomical. If it allows these companies to put more money into R&D and game development I am all for it.

The big three already have their own shows with PSX, Nintendo Direct and X0. And gamescom, TGS, PAX still exists. No biggie. Let Konami and Ubi cringe it up.

Another good thing is this gives more exposure for smaller studios/devs to show off their wares. ACG made a great point that a lot of the times when press go to cover a game at E3 they are like "when the fuck did that come out? Oh that was at E3?" Just because the show is so large it's overwhelming, they never got a chance to cover it or were even aware of its existence.

I have no issues with Sony skipping e3. E3 had its moment, but the publishers don't need a week-long expo to showcase their games. Why would they want to share the stage, the press, and compete for media real estate when they can have their own individual showcases? We've seen how each e3 descends into fanboy wars, with insults, and criticisms, and with debates on "who won e3"? Focused presentations allow publishers to showcase their games or hardware and without having to compete with dozens of other games for the spotlight. E3 probably won't be around next few years.

I'm not expecting an announcement until 2020 with a 2021 release. PS4 is in its prime right now.

If Sony will announce ps5 next year, that would be cool. However, the end of the generation cycle always make me question whether I should buy certain games because they will be re-released as remastered for the next gen console. Another question, now that there are Pro models, is that will the PS5 run PS4 games? If that’s the case then I don’t need to buy PS4 Pro.

Does anyone here have an educated guess whether or not PS5 will have backwards compability? I really don’t feel like buying a console every 3 years (base model and pro model) or waiting until mid gen for the "Pro" version to come.

Nintendo has been ahead of the curve for years now, saying "Fuck E3" and just doing their own thing via their own broadcasts.

E3 just seems so strangely outdated by today's standards.

What are they looking to gain with a PS5 at this stage? True 4K at 60 fps with low settings is about all they could only do at a console price point, maybe.

Back