Sony announces PS4 games to PS Now.

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
As many of you know, PlayStation Now lets you stream hundreds of PS3 games — currently 483 to be exact — to your PS4 and Windows PC.

We’re excited to announce that PS Now’s catalog is set to grow even further, as we’ll be expanding to include a new platform: PlayStation 4 games. All of the games in the service, including PS4 games, will be included with a single PS Now subscription. We’ll share more information as we get closer to launch, so stay tuned.

In the next few weeks we’ll kick off a private test with PS4 games on PS Now. If you’re an active PS Now subscriber, keep an eye on your email in case you get an invitation.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/13/playstation-now-stream-ps4-games-in-2017/

This is great news for PC gamers. $10 a month gives you access to an even bigger library of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at comments this has pissed off the PlayStation fanboys as they are worried that this will kill the console. For a lot of PC players it seems to be, meh.

Most games for the new consoles are boring shit anyway.

What?

Almost all big games are made for consoles with only strategy and Indy games not coming out for console.

There is a ton of great games coming out this year, including Massive Effect next week.

As many of you know, PlayStation Now lets you stream hundreds of PS3 games — currently 483 to be exact — to your PS4 and Windows PC.

We’re excited to announce that PS Now’s catalog is set to grow even further, as we’ll be expanding to include a new platform: PlayStation 4 games. All of the games in the service, including PS4 games, will be included with a single PS Now subscription. We’ll share more information as we get closer to launch, so stay tuned.

In the next few weeks we’ll kick off a private test with PS4 games on PS Now. If you’re an active PS Now subscriber, keep an eye on your email in case you get an invitation.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/13/playstation-now-stream-ps4-games-in-2017/

This is great news for PC gamers. $10 a month gives you access to an even bigger library of games.
Is the price lower for PC gamers? I thought it was $20/mo, and I can't find differently on their Store.

Xbox One Getting Netflix-Like Subscription Service Called Xbox Game Pass
"The Xbox One and PC icons appear on the Xbox Game Pass description page because you can redeem on console, web and PC, however, Xbox Game Pass is only available on Xbox One consoles."
Phil Spencer says the launch of this subscription platform is part of a key strategy piece they're introducing leading up to the Scorpio's new "big picture" for the operating system. So I've got the following now for noteworthy gaming subscription and rental services:

• Sony Playstation Plus Membership [PS4]
    • $10 ---- monthly ($10.00/mo)
    • $25 ---- quarterly ($8.33/mo)
    • $60 ---- yearly ($5.00/mo)
    • $50* --- 12 month card ($4.17/mo)
      *usually this price or better is available on Amazon or Best Buy
      • Allows online access for Playstation games & web services
      • Comes with 2-5 free games a month for download; which can be re-downloaded and played at any time in the future so long as you were subscribed during the month it was issued, and are currently subscribed at the time you wish to re-download
      • According to Polygon, the total MSRP value of games given away in 2016 was $1,150, and the total in 2015 was $1,000.
      • The history & catalog of games "given" away are listed in the Instant Games Collection
  • Microsoft Xbox Live Gold Membership [Xbox One]
    • $25 ---- quarterly ($8.33/mo)
    • $60 ---- yearly ($5.00/mo)
    • $50* --- 12 month card ($4.17/mo)
      *usually this price or better is available on Amazon or Best Buy
      • Allows online access for Xbox games & web services
      • Almost always just 2 games a month, but frequently strong selling AAA releases, much more often than with the Instant Games collection above, and these can be downloaded and held even if you discontinue subscription on the Xbox 360, but not on the Xbox One.
      • Microsoft boasts that this service delivers $700 of games a year.
      • The history & catalog of games "given" away are listed in the Games with Gold collection.
  • Sony PS Now [PC / PS4]
    • $20 ---- monthly ($20.00/mo)
    • $45 ---- quarterly ($15.00/mo)
    • $100 -- yearly ($8.33/mo)
      • cloud-based gaming service that is currently streaming only; cannot download to disc
      • As of 2015, there are two ways to stream games in PlayStation Now, either as a subscription based service like Netflix, allowing unlimited access to all games covered by the subscription model, or users can rent games individually as can be done previously, usually available to rent in one of four time-frames: 4-hour, 7-day, 30-day, and 90-day.
      • 483 titles in library (almost exclusively PS3 titles so far; PS4 titles now being added; PS/PS2/PSP titles rumored for the future)
  • Microsoft Xbox Game Pass [Xbox One]
  • Humble Bundle [PC]
  • EA Access [Xbox One]
  • Origin Access [PC]
    • $5 ---- monthly ($5.00/mo)
  • Gamefly [Consoles only]
    • $16 ---- monthly (1 Game/Movie Plan)
    • $23 ---- monthly (2 Game/Movie Plan)
      • Netflix-like rental service: check out any game you want and hold as long as you like
      • Over 8,000 titles available

Last edited:
@Madmick That's what I thought I paid for it when it first came out, looks like I was wrong. Even $20 isn't horrible. I won't keep a constant subscription, but I'll definitely be doing a month here and there to check out some of the exclusives.

@Madmick That's what I thought I paid for it when it first came out, looks like I was wrong. Even $20 isn't horrible. I won't keep a constant subscription, but I'll definitely be doing a month here and there to check out some of the exclusives.
I bet you're right. It was probably a bait and switch (the classic $10/mo for the "first 3 months" or "first year" before upmarking permanently).

Seems interesting, but the library would dictate any subs to any of these services. XB1 seems superior for consoles in the fact you can download the games where streaming on the PS4 could suffer input lag. I was in the Beta for PSNow and the lag at the time wasn't terrible but I definitely noticed when playing a racing game. This doesn't seem like it would be good at all for any game that needs precise timing. I think where PSNow will beat out XB1 service is it looks like there will be one service in PSNow, where on XB1 you could have 2 subs for XB1 and one for EA, who knows what other developers will try and push.

I've been doing Gamefly for years and this still beats them out since it covers all platforms with a physical disc. The only drawback being the availability, but I keep my queue empty except for the next game I want to play. I get new games on launch day using this tactic, I've never had to wait to get one. If you forget you can wait a long time, so just be aware of what you want it's no problem. This is for my area anyway, no idea what it would be like for more populated areas.

Looking at comments this has pissed off the PlayStation fanboys as they are worried that this will kill the console. For a lot of PC players it seems to be, meh.
Personally there's a couple of series I'd like to play.

If they don't decide to put Brand-New AAA titles on the service, then this won't hurt game sales that much. If they start putting the newest releases on PS Now when the new games release, then they're going to give a lot of people who are either on the fence in regards to buying a PS4 or buying a new game an incentive just to subscribe and pay for the service.

If it's only a few titles that are a year or two back, then it won't hurt as much as people are worrying it will.

I looked at it, because it does have a free trial. It look like you need a PlayStation controller to work with the app.

EDIT:

https://www.destructoid.com/no-sony-i-ll-stick-with-my-own-controller-for-ps-now-384127.phtml

Never mind, it looks like Sony just makes it seem that way.

Streaming? ehhhh.... and I even have Gigabit internet at home... Xbox Game Pass looks better IMO because of installing it directly

What?

Almost all big games are made for consoles with only strategy and Indy games not coming out for console.

There is a ton of great games coming out this year, including Massive Effect next week.
Occam's Razor would suggest that he's probably talking about those games, then.

Last edited:

So the 75% plus rated games which are almost all Indy games. The ones that aren't indy and are great are Total War and Civ and what?

Streaming? ehhhh.... and I even have Gigabit internet at home... Xbox Game Pass looks better IMO because of installing it directly
I have a 75x30 connection and it never had a hiccup.

*Edit* My OCD couldn't take it anymore, @jefferz. I fixed the broken quote box in your OP.
What does it matter if it is an Indy game?
I've been playing Stardew Valley to piggyback on the nostalgia time with Diablo II today. I can't believe how addictive an unabashed farming game is.

*Edit*
So the 75% plus rated games which are almost all Indy games. The ones that aren't indy and are great are Total War and Civ and what?
Okay, first, @warriorscomeout, that's not what Occam's Razor means. I wasn't contradicting you.

Second, in mulling this over, I suddenly realized that Metacritic's charts provide the necessary data to offer a hypothesis that explains your attitude. As a console gamer you've been shoveled so much shit via the PSN store or Xbox Live or Nintendo sales or whatever and other glorified ad spamming that you've come to believe that indie games are all shit.

Nay, not the case. It's only on consoles that they're shit! After all, just look at those charts. The PC platform boasts more exclusives in the 75-89 range on Metacritic than every other platform combined...doubled. In fact, it has 190 vs. 29 total exclusives in that range vs. the PS4 for these years: the duration of the 8th generation of consoles (and it's 16 vs. 16 for the 90+ game range). The standard for non-shit is clearly at a superior and more optimal, lower incidence on PC.

Keep in mind that these aren't just strategy games, either. They run the gamut of genre. Even the great AAA PC exclusives aren't restricted to RTS/Strategy. There is also the Simulation genre (life sim, flight sim, business sim, construction sim, sports franchise management, etc). Then there are the F2P games like the MOBAs League of Legends and Dota 2. There's also RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and World of Warcraft. The eSports world will claim supremacy from the PC platform for titles like CS:GO.

All sorts of games out there eventually get ported to consoles (and often the ports are inferior or even poorly written). Diablo III is a past example. Path of Exile for Xbox One is an upcoming example. There are also those rarer instances of console exclusives where the PC shares the title with only a single console (Titanfall, No Man's Sky, Pyre, etc). Finally, don't forget one set of "exclusives" that doesn't show up and thus entails hidden ranking deflation for PCs is the lack of new scoring for every game out there with modding.

Furthermore, remember that services like "PS Now" and "Xbox Pass" are somewhat of a curious novelty to PC gamers who have long relied on freeware to game as much as their hearts delight-- plucking any game from a console's complete library for no cost-- on any console that is 2+ generations back from the current crop.

Last edited:

Yea that's certainly a better way but either way get to play PS4 games so that still a + for PC players.

Back