Somethings not right with Kovalev

Truly mind blown someone is stupid enough to defend calling a black person an ape as not being racist. Take a knee you can.

...All they tell me is that in order to be treated like a human being there, you either have to be a boxing legend or national sports hero.

You could say that about ANYBODY over there, white or black, though ;)
Isn't that what we've been lead to believe?

I'm sorry but I don't buy this. Racist societies have always provided space for/welcomed the wealthiest or most well known black people. In South Africa apartheid parlance, they make fabulously rich or famous black people "honorary white men". It does not indicate a changing culture or attitude in society. Of course that doesn't mean its not happening, but the examples you gave above aren't proof of it. All they tell me is that in order to be treated like a human being there, you either have to be a boxing legend or national sports hero.

I gave you an example of a biracial/half Black wrestler (to them he's Black like he would be seen here in America) being voted the best sportsman in all of Ukraine. As I said previously, in Eastern Europe Russia is the most racist country there. These gyms that legendary African-American fighters have opened up in Russia are a very small step in the right direction. It may take many decades to see any real change there and that's hoping that there is.

Kovalev may be a racist but he isn't a murderer (the Simakov tragedy wasn't murder or manslaughter), he's never raped a woman or beaten one to my knowledge, never molested a child to my knowledge, etc. He's likely a big mouthed bigot (if what Beterbiev says is true about him) that's shown he can be quite sadistic. But, it isn't like there are worse people in the world and in Russia than him. If you hate him so badly then boycott his fights.

Just keep it boxing dude. Racism is everywhere still. You don't have to travel all the way to Russia to find it. You can't even post over at BoxingScene or visit the YTBC without running into it and it goes both ways.

Last edited:
at least you admit it. but he's from a 2nd world country and likely doesnt care at all. also he's lived in the usa for years arguing he doesnt understand racism..

We've gone way off the topic here, I don't care if he makes no money or all the money in the world, he meant it as an insult and knew it was racist.

Not really a big deal, imo.

Kova isnt the nicest of people by all accounts. He feels he was robbed. Theyve traded a couple jabs on social media. Theyre rematching.

Its probably him wanting some sort of redemption more than genuinely not liking Ward.

Side note, Id be mad too if I knew I was about to get boxed up lmao!

Not sure he'll get boxed up, but he may well get boxed up. However, your first point is dead-on. It was a very close fight and he KNOWS he was robbed. He KNOWS he won that fight. In his mind.

We've gone way off the topic here, I don't care if he makes no money or all the money in the world, he meant it as an insult and knew it was racist.

Who cares, tho? I don't. I'm not looking for him to provide guidance to my children.
I know there was some, but I don't remember this much concern about Hopkins' comments over the years, and there is certainly more material there to review, IMO.
It's interesting. The differing standards. I don't mean from you, Sunfish. I mean in general.

Truly mind blown someone is stupid enough to defend calling a black person an ape as not being racist. Take a knee you can.

Just because they're black you can't or what? My father would refer to people as "gorillas" when I was growing up (and still does), but he was always referring to mob or union thugs. If you heard him and the one he was speaking of at that time was black (frankly, I'm not sure any ever were), you'd have him labeled as a racist when that wasn't the case. You have to tread lightly when guessing what lies in a man's heart. Or not, but if not you'll be wrong more often than right and it's a vicious thing to accuse someone of when without merit.

Sunfish is right, this is more war room than boxing forum. WAY off-topic. lol

Who cares, tho? I don't. I'm not looking for him to provide guidance to my children.
I know there was some, but I don't remember this much concern about Hopkins' comments over the years, and there is certainly more material there to review, IMO.
It's interesting. The differing standards. I don't mean from you, Sunfish. I mean in general.
I made a comment about him being racist, the other guy made it into a major issue. I don't expect boxers to be ambassadors for their country, just saying. When people start saying you don't understand and you haven't travelled etc you respond. Good post my man.

sherdog is turning into other boxing forums that some of us have left because of race issues

The next fight is going to be brutal for Kov.

If Ward was able to create tools in the first fight to take Kova's game away from him, just imagine and all the tools he's creating himself off the fight tape he's watching.

Expect Ward to start looking like Daddy around round 3, and by 9 Kov might be looking like he's about to be disposed of. Insidegame, bodywork and exploiting Kov's jab.

Taking Ward by STOPPAGE.

(Honestly, I'm licking my chops looking at all the new arrivals to this stacked div. Watching Ward clear the field is going to put a lot of oldschool boxing clinics on tape, and that's gonna keep new generations learning the greatest art in the world.)

The next fight is going to be brutal for Kov.

If Ward was able to create tools in the first fight to take Kova's game away from him, just imagine and all the tools he's creating himself off the fight tape he's watching.

Expect Ward to start looking like Daddy around round 3, and by 9 Kov might be looking like he's about to be disposed of. Insidegame, bodywork and exploiting Kov's jab.

Taking Ward by STOPPAGE.

(Honestly, I'm licking my chops looking at all the new arrivals to this stacked div. Watching Ward clear the field is going to put a lot of oldschool boxing clinics on tape, and that's gonna keep new generations learning the greatest art in the world.)
And what will you have to say when Kovalev beats him into a living death? Hmm?

That's about as likely as me having a fivesome with supermodels tonight.

a-chance.gif

hopkins comments lol? oh poor oppressed white people.

hopkins comments lol? oh poor oppressed white people.

Nobody is oppressed here in the states, that's just a bitch cop-out for people who don't want to work hard or parent correctly. Period.

That said, I was just pointing out that there isn't much sense in concerning ourselves with every word out of a fighter's mouth, anymore than we would anybody else. And especially when you get into non-native tongues. But carry on if you like.

Nobody is oppressed here in the states, that's just a bitch cop-out for people who don't want to work hard or parent correctly. Period.

So I take it you also think the white masses that are now bitching and moaning about the opioid epidemic and the lack of manufacturing jobs are just lazy, and morally weak people who are just blaming the establishment for their failures??

So I take it you also think the white masses that are now bitching and moaning about the opioid epidemic and the lack of manufacturing jobs are just lazy, and morally weak people who are just blaming the establishment for their failures??

Whom did you assume I was referring to? I just said that, but not with all the extra words put in my mouth. Opportunity is everywhere for those who value education and hard work in this country. Regardless of race, economic status, whatever. It's really a beautiful thing.

Back