something about the hendricks/gsp fight...

crysis

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
this is just my observation and feedback, feel free to respond.

many feel johnny won the fight, and others feel gsp won. the fight was very close, could've gone either way, and even more so when the title is on the line.

here's a few points i'd like to make, just because a fighter bruises, bleeds, or cuts faster or more easily, and looks worse doesn't determine whether you won or not. visual injuries aren't a form of measurement and shouldn't be the deciding factor.

a fighter could be getting whooped, with a busted up face and in the end pull out a submission or ko/tko victory so in the end he still won the fight even though he looked worse. in terms of gsp and hendricks, judging is based on a point system and like scoring rounds for boxing the judges felt gsp scored higher than hendricks to win.

fans can't blame, boo, or bash gsp whatsoever. he put his safe play gameplan aside this fight and came in and traded with heavy handed johnny, he proved he wasn't afraid to stand and trade, he proved he has a chin, and he proved he could still come out on top. gsp took more damage when he tripped and johnny did his gnp, so that is where most of his facial damage came from.

had gsp fought like his usual play it safe style, i think he would have less damage on his face.

this fight is just like gsp/penn #1, it was a controversial win for gsp because people felt penn won including himself, and because of the damage penn did early round 1....so to me this fight was no different, gsp took more shots than normal because he didn't play safe and in some ways had to fight the way he did because of hendricks wrestling and charge forward style.

so just because the champ took damage, doesn't change that based on a point system he was awarded the win based on the judges decisions, it was a close fight but saying hendricks won because gsp's face was battered doesn't determine that he should've got the decision, also if you look at how gsp looks in some of his other fights his face is pretty much the same after each fight....hendricks had to beat the champ to become the champ, he had to either sub, ko, tko gsp or win a decision very convincingly, he did none of that.

just like penn could've been awarded the decision during there 1st fight, it could've went to johnny as well, if anyone is going to piss and moan over this fight then blame the judges, but you can't blame gsp or discredit him.

its a win regardless of what us fans think, and he proved everyone wrong, he took the extra testing, he put his play it safe strategy aside and traded with johnny, he took shots and proved he could overcome adversity, and though it was a tough and close fight gsp did win in the eyes of the judges, i think people are more surprised that he stood and took bombs, you don't get to see that often from gsp so for us fans to see gsp get abit wobbled and take heavy shots is almost shocking, and so maybe some contribute that to there reasons why they think johnny won, i personally don't. my opinion is the judges could've scored this fight either way because it was that close, but they decided gsp won based on how the system works, not based on how his faced looked afterwards.

this is just my observation and feedback, feel free to respond.

many feel johnny won the fight, and others feel gsp won. the fight was very close, could've gone either way, and even more so when the title is on the line.

here's a few points i'd like to make, just because a fighter bruises, bleeds, or cuts faster or more easily, and looks worse doesn't determine whether you won or not. visual injuries aren't a form of measurement and shouldn't be the deciding factor.

a fighter could be getting whooped, with a busted up face and in the end pull out a submission or ko/tko victory so in the end he still won the fight even though he looked worse. in terms of gsp and hendricks, judging is based on a point system and like scoring rounds for boxing the judges felt gsp scored higher than hendricks to win.

fans can't blame, boo, or bash gsp whatsoever. he put his safe play gameplan aside this fight and came in and traded with heavy handed johnny, he proved he wasn't afraid to stand and trade, he proved he has a chin, and he proved he could still come out on top. gsp took more damage when he tripped and johnny did his gnp, so that is where most of his facial damage came from.

had gsp fought like his usual play it safe style, i think he would have less damage on his face.

this fight is just like gsp/penn #1, it was a controversial win for gsp because people felt penn won including himself, and because of the damage penn did early round 1....so to me this fight was no different, gsp took more shots than normal because he didn't play safe and in some ways had to fight the way he did because of hendricks wrestling and charge forward style.

so just because the champ took damage, doesn't change that based on a point system he was awarded the win based on the judges decisions, it was a close fight but saying hendricks won because gsp's face was battered doesn't determine that he should've got the decision, also if you look at how gsp looks in some of his other fights his face is pretty much the same after each fight....hendricks had to beat the champ to become the champ, he had to either sub, ko, tko gsp or win a decision very convincingly, he did none of that.

just like penn could've been awarded the decision during there 1st fight, it could've went to johnny as well, if anyone is going to piss and moan over this fight then blame the judges, but you can't blame gsp or discredit him.

its a win regardless of what us fans think, and he proved everyone wrong, he took the extra testing, he put his play it safe strategy aside and traded with johnny, he took shots and proved he could overcome adversity, and though it was a tough and close fight gsp did win in the eyes of the judges, i think people are more surprised that he stood and took bombs, you don't get to see that often from gsp so for us fans to see gsp get abit wobbled and take heavy shots is almost shocking, and so maybe some contribute that to there reasons why they think johnny won, i personally don't. my opinion is the judges could've scored this fight either way because it was that close, but they decided gsp won based on how the system works, not based on how his faced looked afterwards.

u have many valid points but st.pierre lost that fight , he got beat everywhere , his face is an example of how many shots he took which score points , he will lose in the rematch as well , as Hendricks said he wasn't going 100 percent ,

100% agree. only watch rounds 1 3 and 5 and gsp wins 3 and 5 quite easily and 1 just barely

You also have to remember that playing it safe wasn't an option. He didn't seem to be able to out-wrestle Hendricks. And, on the feet was where he could at least make Hendricks swing himself out.

Hendricks won that fight, it is not GSP's fault by any means, but if they fight again i am curious if it will be the same result.

u have many valid points but st.pierre lost that fight , he got beat everywhere , his face is an example of how many shots he took which score points , he will lose in the rematch as well , as Hendricks said he wasn't going 100 percent ,

Lol you really think he wasnt going 100 percent?

......in a title fight?

Just shows how great Johnys game plan was then. Don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

Rewatched the fight this morning. It wasn't controversial at all. Very close and could have gone either way. Too close to complain. Just showed what a poor sport Johny was.

I didn't score it for Hendricks due to the looks of Georges face, but instead because Hendricks won 1, 2, and 4.

Edited to change 5 to 4 cause I wasnt paying attention to what I wrote b4 I hit post.

Last edited:
I didn't score it for Hendricks due to the looks of Georges face, but instead because Hendricks won 1, 2, and 5.

What fight did you watch? So GSP won round 4? The round Hendricks did most of his damage?
This goes to show you how much each persons opinion on the fight differs. Amazing

100% agree. only watch rounds 1 3 and 5 and gsp wins 3 and 5 quite easily and 1 just barely

I watched the fight three times and this was my same final opinion.
gsp by close decision 1,3,5; definitly not a robbery of any kind.

What fight did you watch? So GSP won round 4? The round Hendricks did most of his damage?
This goes to show you how much each persons opinion on the fight differs. Amazing

I had an idiot moment. Hit 5 key on accident and didnt proof read. Damn touchscreen.

Yeah the way they both tell it afterwards is interesting.. Gap complains about how hard Johnny was hitting. And Johnny is complaining that he didn't win.

I'm not reading all that shit. Hendricks whooped his ass. The only reason gsp was throwing some harder strikes tonight was because he couldn't consistently get hendricks down and he thought he was losing the fight and needed to finish.

Mafia places large bet on GSP. Mafia pays off judges. Judges give decision to GSP. Mafia makes a lot of money.

Johnny had a great strategy in this fight. He obviously had learned all that there was to know about GSP's head movement how when the opponent goes for a combo GSP swings in fro a single.

In the first two rounds it looked like Johnny had every move GSP was about to make figured out and the damage he was able to inflict left it's toll on Georges for the rest of the fight.

Unfortunately for Johnny, all that hard work, studying tape, and strategizing is all out the window. GSP can now go back to tristar and see what Johnny already had a plan for and change, he already stopped getting caught big time by the third by making a few small adjustments. GSP looked bad and Johnny still couldn't put him away though he definitely came close to taking the belt by decision.

All that in mind, I say GSP has the edge in a rematch.

1.GSP knows not to use the same old moves
2.Johnny will feel the pressure of the decision loss and go for broke, probably more than once.
3.GSP will now know that the shape he came in for that last fight was not good enough

Back