Someone Dominating The Light Heavyweight AND Heavyweight Divisions Simultaneously

LockardTheGOAT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Imagine someone won and held both the Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Championships at the same time and defended them both one after another - How bad ass would it be to dominate the two highest and baddest divisions at the same time? Basically what Conor promised he would do with the Featherweight and Lightweight titles, imagine someone actually doing with the LHW and HW belts. I know both divisions are a little bit dry and in need of some revamping at the moment, but still.

If Jone hadn't been such a fuck up, that could have been him. He seemed a little timid of moving up to Heavyweight (except for a super fight with Brock that he seemed confident he could win), but if he had he could have chased after this goal after returning and beating Cormier. Stipe, Ngannou, Volkan, Gustafsson, Brock, Rumble, Overreem, Werdum, Hunt, etc. Maybe Rockhold too, since he did talk about possibly moving up to 205 after beating Branch. Plenty of interesting opponents would have been right there waiting for him to try and pick off. But anyway, this isn't exclusively about Jones, I'm just citing him as an example.

DC might just be your man if he wasn't staying away from HW for his brother Cain.

J1PWKic.gif

This dude had the talent to do it. Several times over.

d31dde00.jpg

Jon still might do it.

Id say DC is the one closest to being able to do it and even he has no chance. Hed get Fd up by Stipe, Werdum, Overeem, Ngannou and Cain. It would take someone extremely special to do it. And no Jones would actually struggle more at HW than DC would as odd as that sounds.

With both divisions being so thin at the moment it could probably be done without holding up either one.
C'mon Daniel

I don't think DC can handle the weight cuts too much longer. Rockhold is a possibility, but with his striking defense can he handle 205ers chin checking him?

DC, but we need to see him fight again. I know his last fight against Jones was overturned to a NC because Jones cheated, but DC's chin was still cracked by that head kick. After a fighter gets knocked out, sometimes, they don't come back the same after it. I'm curious to see how he returns after that.

If he comes back in his usual form, I could see him taking on the HW division. He'd be small, but he's small for LHW too. I can see him doing very well against much of the elite of the HW division. Muay Thai Werdum may not be able to handle the clinch and boxing of DC. Stipe could be grappled and pounded out on the ground. Cain isn't close enough to a title shot to really matter at this point. Overeem is a tough fight style-wise, but it's still very winnable for DC. Who else is there really to compete with him?

Imagine someone won and held both the Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Championships at the same time and defended them both one after another - How bad ass would it be to dominate the two highest and baddest divisions at the same time? Basically what Conor promised he would do with the Featherweight and Lightweight titles, imagine someone actually doing with the LHW and HW belts. I know both divisions are a little bit dry and in need of some revamping at the moment, but still.

If Jone hadn't been such a fuck up, that could have been him. He seemed a little timid of moving up to Heavyweight (except for a super fight with Brock that he seemed confident he could win), but if he had he could have chased after this goal after returning and beating Cormier. Stipe, Ngannou, Volkan, Gustafsson, Brock, Rumble, Overreem, Werdum, Hunt, etc. Maybe Rockhold too, since he did talk about possibly moving up to 205 after beating Branch. Plenty of interesting opponents would have been right there waiting for him to try and pick off. But anyway, this isn't exclusively about Jones, I'm just citing him as an example.

Fucking noob - Randy Couture

Fucking noob - Randy Couture

No, Randy never did at the same time. He couldn't beat Chuck, so he moved up and beat Tim Sylvia for the HW belt.

Around the same time, Brandon Vera claimed he was going to take both belts...but that never quite happened (not even close). I guess he could do it in OneFC if he could cut to 205 again. Maybe he and Askren could win every belt between LW and HW, which would prove nothing considering their competition.

DC might just be your man if he wasn't staying away from HW for his brother Cain.

Yeah, and it makes sense since Cain has held the title for so long now...

I feel like now that Jones is shelved DC should go up to HW right now and try to pull it off before he's too old.

No, Randy never did at the same time. He couldn't beat Chuck, so he moved up and beat Tim Sylvia for the HW belt.

Around the same time, Brandon Vera claimed he was going to take both belts...but that never quite happened (not even close). I guess he could do it in OneFC if he could cut to 205 again. Maybe he and Askren could win every belt between LW and HW, which would prove nothing considering their competition.

While you are correct he never did it at the same time, he did beat Chuck the first time they fought

Back