Some white belts at Mundials are incredible sandbaggers

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that someone with significant no-gi experience is a white belt because he doesn't train with a gi and then tell him to compete against purple belts. You can't say that no-gi isn't really BJJ and then expect someone with zero BJJ experience (by your standards) to enter the advanced division. You can't ignore the vast similarities and carryover between gi and no-gi training when it comes to defining what is and isn't jiu jitsu and then complain about them when it comes to the organization of a jiu jitsu tournament.

Either no-gi is BJJ, or it isn't. Decide which and act accordingly. But don't argue one way and then the other depending on how it suits you at the moment.

I think we are saying the same thing actually. I agree that the belt isnt everything in itself. Which is why I said you have to account for past experience too, especially for the whitebelts. Remember in BJJ at whitebelt level you are barely learning the basics, shrimping, mounting, escaping mount etc etc. As I stated before the tournys I've seen have a time based experience along side the belt (wrestling,Judo,JJJ). At the last one I went too there was a guy with a whitebelt competing in the blue belt division. He did fairly well with the gi then pwned later in no gi. It was obvious he had a lot of experience with no gi.

No Gi isnt pure BJJ but I agree some carries over. But you cant have a guy who was state and national wrestling champ then wrestled NCAA on a scholarship come in and compete as a whitebelt. Again all I'm saying is that at the very least he should come in and compete as a blue.

I think it would be crazy having no belt delineations for BJJ tournaments.

Olympics? All those wrestlers make it there to the actual tournament because they are already the best in the world. But what if as a freshman they were thrown in against Karelin. I mean, you know, since time/experience shouldn't be differentiated between.

The olympics competitions are paramount to a Black belt only grappling tourney in BJJ. (in which belts/time in sport would rarely matter)

But a BJJ open tournament with whites going against blacks. That would be just lame and hilarious. We would see plenty of neato 3 second matches though.

Oh yeah, and no more white or blue belts competing anymore because they will only be entering and paying money to get thrashed by a black belt in a few seconds. I would imagine in a tournament with no belts, only really badass purples and above would even attempt it.

...but who wants to claim "winning the Mundials" as white belt? that weak. im a 7 year white belt, but im in no means a sandbagger. i just suck. (big period!)

Oh yeah, and no more white or blue belts competing anymore because they will only be entering and paying money to get thrashed by a black belt in a few seconds. I would imagine in a tournament with no belts, only really badass purples and above would even attempt it.

I think that was kind of the point though. It would be a high-level (ie world class) tournament only. White/blue/purple could easily compete locally.

just wanted to add my 2 cents about Heath Pedigo.

I used to train with him back in like 2005, when he had HIS OWN BJJ SCHOOL. He trained on and off with my instructor now, and was said to be about a high blue, maybe even a purple belt when he was fighting. He was something of a local hero, putting on incredible dispays of grappling prowess in his local mma fights.

It turned out later that some of his fights were fixed, or maybe not fixed, but his opponents records and backgrounds were inflated (as in they really didnt have any background). He basically got run out of town. I used to stick up for this guy because I have rolled with him, and he does have some skill.

After seeing this, this guy is just a gigantic pussy, and that is all there is to it. I am now making it my personal mission to tell every single person I know that this guy is a total fraud and cheater.

I say this guy may be a bad ass. But in any IBJJF tournaments you have to have a verified belt. LIke someone said earlier, you can't self-rank. If your a white belt, you compete as a white belt. I train with a 5 year blue belt. He dominates absolute divisions, but he is still a BLUE BELT, and can't compete as a purple belt until properly promoted. Not all Sandbagging is by choice.

NOGI is where sandbagging to me is optional to the actual competitor. You decide what division you compete in NOGI. Your instructor decides what division you compete in GI.

It pisses me off that this happens, those people are cowards.

What really gets me is that Some people (like myself) enter competitions to judge their progress against people of similar experience to see if they're improving or falling behind the curve, only to get destroyed by a sandbagger. Not only does this not answer the question of being able to judge progress, but also is severily demoralizing to get destroyed by someone who you thought was of similar experience.

If you fly to a tournament you had better be at a place in your training where you stand a chance of winning your division.
A person who spends a lot of money and knows they're only average or slightly better for their group is just an idiot.

This is what a competition is for...to test yourself against people of similar skill/experience. Otherwise how'd you know that you're mediocre or average??

This is what a competition is for...to test yourself against people of similar skill/experience. Otherwise how'd you know that you're mediocre or average??

In wrestling, kids compete against each other regardless of their experience. My son could face a state champion, or a first year newbie. The newbies get their ass kicked for a year or so in competition, and the better competitors rise to the top. The ones who can't hack it find other sports, or just don't compete.

I don't see anything wrong with that in BJJ. In my first meet I won the Masters beginners no-gi category, and promptly gave the medal to my son. It was fine that I "won" but I'm waiting until I win something really meaningful before I start patting myself on the back. I am more proud of lasting a 5 minute round with Chris Moriarty or Cobrinha in class than I am of that medal.

I personally would have no problem testing myself against a black belt in competition. I think sometimes we put too much of a god-like status on the higher belts in competition anyway. Sure, they'll probably beat us lower belts 99.99% of the time, but we will get better. It all depends on what you are setting as your standard.

Then again, what the hell do I know...:icon_chee

pretty sure you have to be at least shodan to compete in the olympics.

No. This year there was a brazilian girl in beijing that was brown belt.

The fact is that even if you are a brown belt in almost al country you will win your blackbelt in competition before getting the qualification to the olympics (In italy if you place in best 7 at nationals you get your blackbelt, so it's impossible to have an olympian that isn't blackbelt)

In wrestling, kids compete against each other regardless of their experience. My son could face a state champion, or a first year newbie. The newbies get their ass kicked for a year or so in competition, and the better competitors rise to the top. The ones who can't hack it find other sports, or just don't compete.

Maybe that shows that BJJ has a steeper learning curve then wrestling, I'm not sure that a first year White Belt (Freshman) even with talent would be able to compete with even non-World Class Black Belts (Varsity Senior) after 4 years of training.

I'm not saying it's more difficult I'm just saying maybe general proficiency takes longer as there are alot of intricacies, while mastery takes about the same.

The problem (if is a problem) is that IBJJF Run tournament to make money.
So they _
- put very high fee for enter (European championship cost 80 euro, about 100$).
- They let anyone enter any tournament (Japanese or Brazilian Guy in european championship, American guy in Asian championship and so on)
- Have a different brackets for each belt (white, blue, purple, brown, blackbelt)
In Wrestling or Grappling you have one division. In Judo you have local tournament for colored belt but national and international tournament are all only one division.
- They have eleven weight classes (way more than judo, wrestling or other similar sports)
- They have way more age classes ( Juvenile, Adult, Senior, Master 1, Master2, Master3...)

This kind of tournament aren't made to see who is the best. Are for making people pay money so they could write in their website that their are champions. Then you have your 200 different World champion

You have people Winning World or European champions at Master Blackbelt without having a single match.

They went there, pay the fee and being awarded of their Gold medal.

its always been wierd to me that people will sandbag at the whitebelt level... wheres the prestige in winning anything as a whitebelt... i think competing in the Mudials is silly as a white unless its local to you... its not going to do much for you, youd be better off training and actually learning something.

For the pan ams and mundials i normally assume to win an adult division you need to be a good {insert one higher belt}.

eg to win the blue belt division, you will probably need to be the standard of a good purple.

For the pan ams and mundials i normally assume to win an adult division you need to be a good {insert one higher belt}.

eg to win the blue belt division, you will probably need to be the standard of a good purple.

I have a buddy who won the no gi pan ams as a blue, and one that got second in gi as a blue (the guy he lost to won the same division a year before), and they are both getting their purple next week, and I'd say your statement was about right.

Sandbaggers suck.
Guy who beat me at my last tourney was in the right division for experience (1-3 years of Jits) as he had only been training Jits for a year...
but the part where he wrestled all through middle and high school *might* have given him an edge over me, who has been training jits for two years, but never touched a mat prior.
w/e

Winning the White Belt worlds is like winning the special Olympics, sure you get a medal but your still a retard

Back