Soldier (1998 Kurt Russell movie)

I haven't seen it for a while but I liked it when it came out. It introduced me to Connie Nielson and that alone is worth the watch.

I read that this movie was initially planned to be made/released in 1983 or something. If that was the case, it would've been a hit, instead of the flop it was.

That makes sense as it takes place in the same universe and is seen by fans as a spiritual successor or sidequel to Blade Runner. The script was 15 years old (1983-ish) and written by Blade Runner's co-writer.

That makes sense as it takes place in the same universe and is seen by fans as a spiritual successor or sidequel to Blade Runner. The script was 15 years old (1983-ish) and written by Blade Runner's co-writer.

It's actually not that difficult to picture the film being directed by (a younger) Ridley Scott and shot in the style of Blade Runner. It would have been something quite impressive with that sort of attention to lighting and set design, even if no improvements were made to the script.

I liked it haven't seen it in years need to rewatch

Back when this came out I really liked it. It wasn't "Greatest action movie of all time" material or anything, there were a lot of 90's action movies that were better, but still it was a very good movie. It's better than most action movies that have come out in the last decade for sure, says a lot about the 90's when a middle of the pack movie was better than most garbage released lately.

In its day it was impactful? WTF

That movie bombed and not alot of people liked it. I was hoping it would be something classic and it missed the mark by alot. It had potential but failed

Indeed, you watch the Dangerous Days Bladerunner documentary and you can see some of the stuff in this film is leftover ideas, Russell and the other dead soliders being dumped on a junk planet for example was going to be Roy Batty's intro.

That link alone I think makes it a worthwhile watch and generally I think the film has some nice ideas that aren't fully realised, Russell definitely elevates it beyond the kind of "declining 80's blockbuster" fair we saw so often in this era.

Indeed, you watch the Dangerous Days Balderunner documentary and you can see some of the stuff in this film is leftover ideas, Russell and the other dead soliders being dumped on a junk planet for example was going to be Roy Batty's intro.

Not only that, one of the campaigns Kurt fought in is, "Tannhousar";)

That movie is some forgettable ass shit. I’m going to go immediately back to not thinking about it for another 20 years as soon as this thread goes away.

Yeah, I think you were a lot more smitten by it than I was. I enjoyed it and even owned it on DVD at one point but it was never anywhere close to my Top 10 list or anything like that.

As for JSL, asking for a Rock-style career may be a bit much, but it at least seems like producers could have found roles for him. Him and Robin Shou are both guys who I thought deserved better but were sadly held back by the fact that they were Asian.

Regarding box office, it had a $60 million budget and made $15 million theatrically. Huge failure.
Just saw him in the crouching tiger sequel

I own this movie on bluray, it's one of my guilty pleasure rainy day movies to watch.

I've always loved this movie.

I still love that shot where he's using a piece of scrap iron as a punching bag.

And the one where Jason Scott Lee emerges from the steam on the running track.

I remember the scene were Kurt Russell was punching that piece of metal influenced me and gave me the idea to practice punching my refrigerator when I became interest sted in boxing . I think I was 15 at the time. Solidier is one of my personal favorite movies

I first saw it on TV probably around 2001, so several years after it’s release. I enjoyed it. Always liked the beginning, when they bring in the new generation of soldier and make them compete.

How was that?
I would give it a 3.5/5 and CTHD a 5/5. It's not a bad movie but it pales in comparison in just about every way and probably is judged more harshly by association.

Soldier has been on my list forever but it was never something I went out of my way to watch. Kurt Russell is solid but for some reason ever since Big Trouble in Little China he's never got his due at the box office.

Also, I really liked Mortal Kombat whenever it came out in the early nineties. Was an awesome movie theatre experience. But only a decade and a bit later and it definitely didn't hold up well.

I just rewatched Mortal Kombat a couple of months ago and thought it was still very good. Maybe not as good as I thought when I was 14, but I enjoyed it and still think it has a lot going for it.

I just rewatched Mortal Kombat a couple of months ago and thought it was still very good. Maybe not as good as I thought when I was 14, but I enjoyed it and still think it has a lot going for it.

I liked the soundtrack and fast pace. I guess I'm mainly talking about the CGI, real effects and film filters. I mean I'd watch it now if it was on and I had nothing better to do or in the background - mainly because I knew what it was. But if it was made today for Nickelodeon as is (is there such a thing channel lol) or some kids network I'd pass on through without pausing.

I would give it a 3.5/5 and CTHD a 5/5. It's not a bad movie but it pales in comparison in just about every way and probably is judged more harshly by association.

Soldier has been on my list forever but it was never something I went out of my way to watch. Kurt Russell is solid but for some reason ever since Big Trouble in Little China he's never got his due at the box office.

Breakdown and Bone Tomahawk are probably my two favorite movies of his since The Thing. Soldier my third favorite.

Back