Soldier (1998 Kurt Russell movie)

splendica

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It's a shame this hasn't held up very well. In it's day it made for one of my most impactful movie experiences.

I think in a few instances like Soldier I'd like to see a remake (as much as I love Kurt Russell in the role).

Classic Russell moment as Todd 3465: Cocks gun, "I'll kill them all."

I do think this film gets forgotten about as one of the great action flicks of the 90s.

Could it be remade? Do you care?

@shadow_priest_x @Cint @Zer @MusterX @Agent Mulder's Hair @chickenluver @europe1 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @jeicex

Last edited:
Not sure I'd say it hasn't held up. I thought it was "fairly good" when it first came out and I'd say the same today.

It was nice to see Jason Scott Lee in a high profile role that wasn't Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and I thought it was interesting how he put on a significant amount of mass for the film.

Pretty sure this one was a big box office failure. It deserved better than that. And JSL has deserved a better career than he's had.

Not sure I'd say it hasn't held up. I thought it was "fairly good" when it first came out and I'd say the same today.

It was nice to see Jason Scott Lee in a high profile role that wasn't Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and I thought it was interesting how he put on a significant amount of mass for the film.

Pretty sure this one was a big box office failure. It deserved better than that. And JSL has deserved a better career than he's had.

I guess for me it was literally near the top of my all time favorite movies when it came out. Russell's character was the ultimate underdog/hero from the ashes of tragedy. But I saw it again maybe 5 years ago and some of the scenes in particular

the one with the kid and snake are really bad acting (particularly the kid) and overall poorly done by today's standards. Also some of the props (space junk, set etc) aren't very believable even by old Star Trek standards.

I totally agree with you about JSL. That guy deserved a Dwayne Johnson type career (well close to it anyway).

Also, I don't know how it did at the Box Office. Wouldn't surprise me if not that well, which to me says it's always been underrated.

I guess for me it was literally near the top of my all time favorite movies when it came out. Russell's character was the ultimate underdog/hero from the ashes of tragedy. But I saw it again maybe 5 years ago and some of the scenes in particular

the one with the kid and snake are really bad acting (particularly the kid) and overall poorly done by today's standards. Also some of the props (space junk, set etc) aren't very believable even by old Star Trek standards.

I totally agree with you about JSL. That guy deserved a Dwayne Johnson type career (well close to it anyway).

Also, I don't know how it did at the Box Office. Wouldn't surprise me if not that well, which to me says it's always been underrated.

Yeah, I think you were a lot more smitten by it than I was. I enjoyed it and even owned it on DVD at one point but it was never anywhere close to my Top 10 list or anything like that.

As for JSL, asking for a Rock-style career may be a bit much, but it at least seems like producers could have found roles for him. Him and Robin Shou are both guys who I thought deserved better but were sadly held back by the fact that they were Asian.

Regarding box office, it had a $60 million budget and made $15 million theatrically. Huge failure.

Yeah, I think you were a lot more smitten by it than I was. I enjoyed it and even owned it on DVD at one point but it was never anywhere close to my Top 10 list or anything like that.

As for JSL, asking for a Rock-style career may be a bit much, but it at least seems like producers could have found roles for him. Him and Robin Shou are both guys who I thought deserved better but were sadly held back by the fact that they were Asian.

Regarding box office, it had a $60 million budget and made $15 million theatrically. Huge failure.

Would it be remake worthy to you? I think the concept is awesome.

I read that this movie was initially planned to be made/released in 1983 or something. If that was the case, it would've been a hit, instead of the flop it was.

Kurt Russell did a good job and the movie had the outline and the general pieces to be something special, but it just didn't come together. A remake might not be a bad idea in this case.

i liked the movie. i mean it's a standard sort of 90s action film, but kurt russell and jason scott lee are awesome in it so it's enjoyable to see them.

i can actually see this as more of an 80s film b/c the 80s loved the military dystopia films.

Would it be remake worthy to you? I think the concept is awesome.

Mmm, maybe. It can't be a remake just for the sake of remaking it because the original film is not even that old.

They would need to make some significant improvements for me to consider the project worth it.

Seen it for the fist time recently, meh definitely not one of Kurts best.

Kurt Russell did a good job and the movie had the outline and the general pieces to be something special, but it just didn't come together. A remake might not be a bad idea in this case.

Good call, I completely agree.

Good call, I completely agree.

I still love that shot where he's using a piece of scrap iron as a punching bag.

And the one where Jason Scott Lee emerges from the steam on the running track.

Seen it for the fist time recently, meh definitely not one of Kurts best.

TBH, I think it was in large part due to Russell's performance that I liked it so much. I just don't think it holds up well due to film filters, props and acting by minor characters.

Russell (his character) brought out the feels in me anyway.

I still love that shot where he's using a piece of scrap iron as a punching bag.

And the one where Jason Scott Lee emerges from the steam on the running track.

For sure.

Also, Kurt actually got pretty ripped up for this role. I liked the chain climbing/fight scene between he and JSL. Also, I felt that Stallone borrowed some of the choreography or visa versa for 2005's Rambo. Probably not, but Russell coming out of the burning water and his use of the hand-held whatever mm gun that was kind of like Stalone uses off of a tripod in Rambo. Pretty epic slow mo fight scenes too.

I saw this in the theater with my grandma. I was 13, and she was in her late 60’s at the time. I remember her quietly going “Ooh” every time violence happened.

It’s funny because Soldier was not a movie she would watch, and she’s the one who suggested it to me. She was just trying to be a cool grandma, I guess, and it worked because I remember enjoying it.

i liked the movie. i mean it's a standard sort of 90s action film, but kurt russell and jason scott lee are awesome in it so it's enjoyable to see them.

i can actually see this as more of an 80s film b/c the 80s loved the military dystopia films.

Yeah, I agree. It felt more like an 80s to early nineties movie for plot/theme.

Also, I really liked Mortal Kombat whenever it came out in the early nineties. Was an awesome movie theatre experience. But only a decade and a bit later and it definitely didn't hold up well. So, different genre and all, but I had/have a similar experience with both movies. And the filming style and some of the cheesey cg/props remind me of each other.

I saw this in the theater with my grandma. I was 13, and she was in her late 60’s at the time. I remember her quietly going “Ooh” every time violence happened.

It’s funny because Soldier was not a movie she would watch, and she’s the one who suggested it to me. She was just trying to be a cool grandma, I guess, and it worked because I remember enjoying it.

Would have loved to have seen it at 13, was a bit older.

Love this movie. Far superior to JCVD's Universal Soldier IMO.

even when it came out,i felt there was some major acting faults with it. i know it had a big budget for the time,but some of the sets where ropey as hell. i have been and always will be a fan of kurt Russells because of the thing and escape from new york,but maybe ,with this film ,they where trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again,but it never worked out.
Its a shame as both kurt and jsl where solid,but what i remember most was sean pertwees massive over acting,which spoiled it for me. this is one I'm hesitant to go back and rewatch as i picked fault the first time round and the years have probably not done it any favours.

Back