Social skills: poor AF

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
31 already yet as much of a wallflower as a pimply teenage virgin. I probably couldn't sell a glass of water to a man dying of thirst.

My office team just went up to a superior for birthday greetings, and after singing and in the middle of socializing, I once again became in the middle of an awkward situation where I fail to connect with the same people I go to work for the last couple of years. I was constantly led to contribute to discussion, even with the most shallow of topics just to keep the soiree rolling. Only after 3-5 attempts by the group to lead me in, I finally made a lame-ass joke for them to laugh at least, even if it is partly out of pity.

It's just sort of my nature I guess. The men in both sides of the family are similar. I need to grow the fuck up and socialize more, and make more personal connections.

Perhaps you just don't connect with most people. Why feel bad for not being able to fake it

31 already yet as much of a wallflower as a pimply teenage virgin. I probably couldn't sell a glass of water to a man dying of thirst.

My office team just went up to a superior for birthday greetings, and after singing and in the middle of socializing, I once again became in the middle of an awkward situation where I fail to connect with the same people I go to work for the last couple of years. I was constantly led to contribute to discussion, even with the most shallow of topics just to keep the soiree rolling. Only after 3-5 attempts by the group to lead me in, I finally made a lame-ass joke for them to laugh at least, even if it is partly out of pity.

It's just sort of my nature I guess. The men in both sides of the family are similar. I need to grow the fuck up and socialize more, and make more personal connections.
Go to a dive bar and have a craft beer.
Youll fit in

I am like you too in large group conversation. But I attribute the awkwardness to the fact that the topic is so boring, and I just dont care enough to contribute.

By 31 you should have fucked most of your co-workers by now. And you can't even talk to them?

I can relate wholeheartedly. My dad isn't the most socially confident guy either and I grew up without making any meaningful relationships. I used to be a total wallflower, and I still am at times. But I trained myself to get out of my shell so you can too. Hang out with people who are social butterflies and take notes from them. Deliberately put yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable like being in large groups, and try different things and see what sticks. Right now I lead small group discussions as part of my job and at first it was really awkward to have a bunch of people look at me expectantly. But now I've gotten used to it and got better at leading where the conversation goes and cracking jokes when I need to make people feel comfortable. I feel like a stand up comedian at times.

try to have more fun in your life.

it alleviates a lot of social issues.

Hang out at the bowling alley with no underwear on. Someone will eventually approach you. I know that I would

No worries if you re a weirdo
Excersize, have a hobby
Try to be happy for life is too short, man.
Cheer up. You re not alone.

Oh great, now I'm supposed to dance in the superior's birthday party tomorrow.

Awkwaaaaaaaard!

It helps me to exercise before social situations/ work. I feel more confident and sure of myself if I accomplished something training , the gym, or running. Also Ive found that I work real well under pressure of conversation if I haven't had time to "dwell" on it happening. So it really is just all in my head, and probably in yours too.

Just put yourself into a spot where you are forced to talk to strangers. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or something. It really doesn't take a lot to go from where you are to being able to be outspoken. Your personality is going to stay the same, but the fear and awkwardness of speaking can be conquered pretty easily. I am fairly introverted. But, I can talk to nearly anyone with great results. Strangers, bosses, hot girls, famous people..... anyone.

Most people are retards.

I don't make the effort unless they can display a basic ability to have an intelligent conversation.

When i was younger i was super shy and awkward even during college. However when I started working, I eventually got promoted into a supervisory position and was forced to interact with so many different people each day. It forced me to learn how to talk and deal with people and now although i'm still a quiet person, I don't have any problems with talking to a single person, or a group of people. I think putting yourself in a similar situation would help.

I also suggest for you to not be too conscious of yourself (if you are). It's okay to look like an idiot in front of people at times and laugh about it. My worry when I was younger was I didn't want to make mistakes in front of everyone, but growing up i realized that we all make mistakes, we're all idiots and we should learn to laugh at ourselves. Girls also like it when your comfortable with who you are.

Start with compliments and see how they handle it.

Wow Fred! That's a neat looking watch you're wearing!
Where did you get it from?

Back