Soccer Kicks in MMA

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Whats your guys take on soccer kicks to the head in MMA? I think soccer kicks to the head should be legal because any strike is dangerous and can cause serious injury. So if they want to ban soccer kicks to the head they should ban all kicks to the head. The statistics show no serious injuries from it.

Last edited:
I agree, I also think you should be allow to knee a grounded opponent in the head. And specially from the sprawl position.. it would change the game no doubt

I'm a Pride never die kinda guy so... yeah i'm cool with them

I think they should allow upkicks to face, and mule kicks (kicks when on all fours), strikes to the back of the head and back, and stomps.

Right now MMA rulesets allow for more grappling tech than striking.

I agree. Changes the game when you can stomp, kick, and knee a guy from any position

I agree. Changes the game when you can stomp, kick, and knee a guy from any position

I always wondered to myself, if you have someone in your guard, why bother with sweeps or submissions? Just grab one or both arms, pull them apart, bring both your knees in, and bam just thrust your feet right into the guys face.

I always wondered to myself, if you have someone in your guard, why bother with sweeps or submissions? Just grab one or both arms, pull them apart, bring both your knees in, and bam just thrust your feet right into the guys face.

one thing that I think is very overlooked in MMA. is the knee from the ground, not to the head, but to the body. Yeah a few guys do it here and there, but its very under utilized. I see plenty of opportunities to land powerful knees to the body while grappling but guys barely do it.

They actually forced you to not be passive on the bottom like some places are these days.

What's a soccer kick?
mark_2Dcrossley_2Dkick_2Dhead.jpg

319281_1.jpg

soccer kicks to the head are pretty brutal. Long story short, up close and personal, i have seen someone on all 4's get a full soccer kick to the face in a "street" fight. Instant KO.

I dont like them at all. Its a shitty technique.

But bring back knees to the head in ground fighting

one thing that I think is very overlooked in MMA. is the knee from the ground, not to the head, but to the body. Yeah a few guys do it here and there, but its very under utilized. I see plenty of opportunities to land powerful knees to the body while grappling but guys barely do it.
probably one of the best strikes on the ground, it always amazed me that people don't use it more often.

I dont like them at all. Its a shitty technique.

But bring back knees to the head in ground fighting
my argument against soccer kicks is they rarely finish fights on their own. they are usually a really brutal way to finish off a guy that is already fucked. you would see a lot of people complaining about the referees as it is a really easy follow up from a punch that drops someone.
you can do the same with a drop punch, but it takes a bit longer and the ref has a slightly better chance of stopping it.

probably one of the best strikes on the ground, it always amazed me that people don't use it more often.

I think the knee in general is under utilized in MMA, perhaps due to the takedowns. It will be interesting to see as the OneFC progresses, they have more fighters from SE asia, which in general have better Muay Thai and less BJJ, so well get to see high level muay thai in MMA and how it can be applied once their ground game improves. IMO the UFC tends to have lower quality muay thai and higher level BJJ than OneFC, however I dont really watch either so what do I know. lol.

I think the knee in general is under utilized in MMA, perhaps due to the takedowns. It will be interesting to see as the OneFC progresses, they have more fighters from SE asia, which in general have better Muay Thai and less BJJ, so well get to see high level muay thai in MMA and how it can be applied once their ground game improves. IMO the UFC tends to have lower quality muay thai and higher level BJJ than OneFC, however I dont really watch either so what do I know. lol.
a knee seems to be one of those weapons that not a lot of fighters develop properly. it seems to me that lighter fighters and female fighters naturally throw the knee more effectively. heavier males seem to find punching a lot more natural and have difficulty learning to use the knee. i had a friend that didn't train but had unreal natural kicking/kneeing ability, another friend that has trained for years still has the crappiest knees (big muscle head type)

a knee seems to be one of those weapons that not a lot of fighters develop properly. it seems to me that lighter fighters and female fighters naturally throw the knee more effectively. heavier males seem to find punching a lot more natural and have difficulty learning to use the knee. i had a friend that didn't train but had unreal natural kicking/kneeing ability, another friend that has trained for years still has the crappiest knees (big muscle head type)

i dunno why but the knee is the most natural thing to come to me, it really is my favorite and best technique.

Back