So wrestlers are unicorns in WMMA

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Obviously there aren’t many wrestling programs for women so when you get a wrestler like Tati Suarez, you pretty have yourself a unicorn cuz none of the other females really know what to do at that point.

She’s definitely a solid fighter, but overall, this is exactly why WMMA shouldn’t be billed as high level MMA. I have a ton of appreciation for women who competition and women who train martial arts, I just don’t feel like it should be mixed in with the best fighters in the world.

That yawn inducing TUF winner cookie monster was holding everyone on ground until JJ touched her face 50 times

Or you could be happy you’re seeing the evolution of women’s mixed martial arts......

Or you could be happy you’re seeing the evolution of women’s mixed martial arts......

They can evolve on a women’s only card. Or on prelims. I’d like that, not headlining over the best fighters in the world.

For fucks sake, Bec Rawlings was even higher up the card than Zabit in that last New York card.

I got robbed of a chance to see Kelvin Gastelum and Jacare go 5 rounds in a battle of highly skilled competitors, instead of watching a slaughter to the lamb fight. I get it was a title fight but come on man.

Sarah Mcmann is an Olympian and gets out grappled all the time.

That yawn inducing TUF winner cookie monster was holding everyone on ground until JJ touched her face 50 times
You're thinking of another TUF winner- Carla Esparza.

Not Tatiana Suarez.

breaking news, it's fact since 2013, some girls have legit wrestling, if we talk about 115 division, there's few like Esparza, Suarez; Jedrzejczyk has great defensive wrestling and unpopular opinion, but this defensive wrestling is main reason she was champion almost 3 years (she defended like 12 takedowns, before she punched Esparza's face)
WSW division right now it may look like heavy striking division, but in fact most good prospects and young fighters in this division are grapplers;
in WBW we got Sarah, but we know all how it ended

Sarah Mcmann is an Olympian and gets out grappled all the time.

This. Tate pinned her down for a round and she had no clue what to do and didn't even really try to get up, just stuck on her back.
You don't see Cormier getting put on his back for a round by a high school wrestler.

They aren't really, there have been wrestlers near the top of WMMA for a while before Suarez.

Tate
Zingano
McMann
Evinger
Davis wrestled in high school, she's not mainly known for it but she can shoot a double
Esparza

and there are girls who don't have a wrestling background but show solid wrestling like Nunes, Valentina, Vieira, Pena, Carmouche, Gadelha, Andrade... Budd the kickboxer turned wrestler lol, etc.

Elite wrestlers are unicorns in MMA in general. That's why when world level talents like Cormier, Askren, Pico, Romero, Suarez turn to MMA, everyone shits their pants and expects them to go straight to the top... and they always do.

Elite wrestlers are unicorns in MMA in general. That's why when world level talents like Cormier, Askren, Pico, Romero, Suarez turn to MMA, everyone shits their pants and expects them to go straight to the top... and they always do.

Pico the boxing kid from Bellator?

Wonder how those Japanese Olympic gold medal ladies would do in WMMA after 2-3 years of submission and striking training.

Skip the striking part. Just teach them submission defense and GnP.

Make it 1 - 2 years of training.

They can evolve on a women’s only card. Or on prelims. I’d like that, not headlining over the best fighters in the world.

For fucks sake, Bec Rawlings was even higher up the card than Zabit in that last New York card.

I got robbed of a chance to see Kelvin Gastelum and Jacare go 5 rounds in a battle of highly skilled competitors, instead of watching a slaughter to the lamb fight. I get it was a title fight but come on man.

Yes, the boxing kid who was also one point away from becoming a wrestling Olympian.

Didn't know that. Didn't he get taken down and subbed in his debut. Fairly easy? Forgot how it went, he's made up for it

Didn't know that. Didn't he get taken down and subbed in his debut. Fairly easy? Forgot how it went, he's made up for it

He got dropped by a punch and guillotined quickly. Twas quite the shocker.

Back