So When UFC Finally Gonna Get Rid Of PPV Model

It’ll go when people stop paying. For now they know suckers will buy. I mean they put cm punk on a main card, and people actually paid money for that!

I gave numbers/reasons

I was just stating that 100k is less revenue then even ESPN+ is paying, so that is not a number to use an example

It is weird because a lot hinges on them finalizing the better % from traditional PPV providers.
The report by SBJ in early November was incorrect & wasn't finalized.

If they get that they will do even better in 2019
any numbers out yet for 231?

They should make 2 or 3 big ppv a year n everything else free on tv

Or make ppv exclusive on fight pass subscription n charge like 5$ per ppv

As a European I find it bizarre the way Americans tolerate ppv and how tv is totally stacked with adverts I mean the clock is sponsored the reply is sponsored they give an advert literally the moment the bell goes for first round, everything is sponsored ppv shouldn’t be on top!!

outside of conor/khabib the ppv buyrates of 2018 were abysmal

UFC 220 - 350k
UFC 221 - 150k
UFC 222 - 260k
UFC 223 - 350k
UFC 224- 85k
UFC 225 - 250k
UFC 226 - 380k
UFC 227 - 300k
UFC 228 - 130k
UFC 230 - 250k

so when is ufc gonna realize that they have a total of 1 ppv draw and without conor the highest ufc can do is around 350k
A 250k PPV buy does 10M in revenue. Once it cost more than 10M to hold a event they will stop.

The talent is spread too thin over way too many cards.

They should cut it down to 4 PPV's a year and absolutely stack the main card and prelims.

Make every PPV an absolutely MUST see event.

Some fighters will always be bigger draws than others, but UFC should try to be a bit like ECW was back in the day where the brand name became what sold. There will always be fighters who are bigger draws than others but fans can still be conditioned into knowing that the big 4 UFC events a year are all equally worth getting no matter who headlines the card.

I agree. I used to watch every fight on every card. then I skipped the early prelims and now I skip all but the main card more often than not.

But they signed various TV deals that probably require a minimum number of events every year so I don't think they will change it.

I agree. I used to watch every fight on every card. then I skipped the early prelims and now I skip all but the main card more often than not.

But they signed various TV deals that probably require a minimum number of events every year so I don't think they will change it.

I stated this many times
When UFC were sold I said the new owners are not MMA guys but content guys.
UFC is more of a content provider now & that is why WME bought them & why they have made record earnings.

Anyways back to the topic at hand:
They gotta make more mainstream stars, more guys that finish, however thats easier said than done. They need a person with a unique personality that sells but said person should be different from McGregor so its not like he's a copy cat. Like i said this is easier said than done but I'm not a fucking business guy so idk shit about that, lol
Cant make a star. One has to reveal himself or herself and then the UFC hitches their wagon and throws the full might of the promotional machine behind them. Maybe Israel adesanya can be the guy.

I stated this many times
UFC is more of a content provider now & that is why WME bought them & why they have made record earnings.

They've diluted the brand terribly and they are proving Tito was right that it was the fighters and not the brand that was most important.

So.

Is UFC fight pass worth it? Can you watch ppv cards on Fight Pass?

2014 ppv buys
UFC 169: 230k
UFC 170: 340k
UFC 171: 300k
UFC 172: 350k
UFC 173: 215k
UFC 174: 115k
UFC 175: 525k
UFC 176: ----
UFC 177: 125k
UFC 178: 205k
UFC 179: 180k
UFC 180: 190k
UFC 181: 400k
average: 265K

I bet they wish they gave it up already.

Khabib vs GSP will do damn well.

Brock vs DC will also sell a ton.

Jones vs DC would be pretty nice too
I don't think they will do khabib vs gsp because GSP probably wins and retires. but you never know, they seem to be all about the short term.

They should offer a 2nd tier on ufc.tv of $20 a month with ppv included.

If they ever go public and fighters find out for sure how little of the revenue they get. With UFC pay what it is, even a 130K PPV is profitable for them to keep it in place.

I don't think they will do khabib vs gsp because GSP probably wins and retires. but you never know, they seem to be all about the short term.

They'll only do it if Khabib pushes for it and even then it would be catchweight so GSP can't take the belt

I stated this many times

WME's model isn't sustainable and it's going to hurt them long term. The UFC brand is getting worse and worse with all of these fight night cards and mediocre prelim fighters.

You used to be able to expect VERY high quality cards. but these days it's turning more and more into super top heavy Boxing events.

I still think they needed to come up with a minor league system of sorts. I thought Strikeforce could have become that after the purchase. But they'd have to have found a new broadcast partner for them since SHO had no interest in that.

When there's a better way to make money.

I'm sure giving it all away for free isn't the best idea either.

As a European I find it bizarre the way Americans tolerate ppv and how tv is totally stacked with adverts I mean the clock is sponsored the reply is sponsored they give an advert literally the moment the bell goes for first round, everything is sponsored ppv shouldn’t be on top!!

It's every bit as annoying as it looks.

Back