So When UFC Finally Gonna Get Rid Of PPV Model

UFC is dying confirmed.
Don't think so. It's just the wide spread streaming fights for free that is killing the numbers. Don't know any fight fan that use to watch UFC that still dosen't watch it. Just think 300k buys means 600K+ views at least half are streaming the fights. UFC is on more mainstream media then ever before, still think the sport is growing. Just hard to get people to pay 60 bucks for something they can stream for free in HD. The only time you will ever see crazy numbers is for McGregor, or to a lesser extent maybe a GSP or Lesnar return where the non hardcore fight fans account for a majority of the buys.

100k is worst case scenario, average would be higher. Altho these guys must've calculated the pros and cons. Surely they're making more money from PPV. Why else would they continue this.
I gave numbers/reasons

I was just stating that 100k is less revenue then even ESPN+ is paying, so that is not a number to use an example

It is weird because a lot hinges on them finalizing the better % from traditional PPV providers.
The report by SBJ in early November was incorrect & wasn't finalized.

If they get that they will do even better in 2019

Don't think so. It's just the wide spread streaming fights for free that is killing the numbers. Don't know any fight fan that use to watch UFC that still dosen't watch it. Just think 300k buys means 600K+ views at least half are streaming the fights. UFC is on more mainstream media then ever before, still think the sport is growing. Just hard to get people to pay 60 bucks for something they can stream for free in HD. The only time you will ever see crazy numbers is for McGregor, or to a lesser extent maybe a GSP or Lesnar return where the non hardcore fight fans account for a majority of the buys.

Pretty sure he was goofing around
Tough to be dying with the amount of insane profit they make yearly

Why do you think they keep adding events? PPV numbers are down. Attracting more casuals to PPV hasn't worked. So they just dig deeper into their harcores who buy every event.

Why do you think they keep adding events? PPV numbers are down. Attracting more casuals to PPV hasn't worked. So they just dig deeper into their harcores who buy every event.

They actually are not adding more
They were doing 14 a few years ago
They might do 11 in 2019 (due to Jan cxl)

Back when GSP and Silva were champions the bars were packed here for every pay per view, now the bars hardly even show the fights at all...

I'll send you them
I'd like to see them too.

They deleted a thread I made about Tom Lawlor eating a booger during one of the last events, while he was in his dressing room.

I'd love to see what else they censor around here.

They deleted a thread I made about Tom Lawlor eating a booger during one of the last events, while he was in his dressing room.

Really?

That is weird
The mods seem pretty level-minded in my dealings with them

Really?

That is weird
The mods seem pretty level-minded in my dealings with them
Literally mods were commenting on the post and completely ignored the posts i were making so I assume there was one butthurt moderator who didn't like what I was posting and did it, lol

Anyways back to the topic at hand:
They gotta make more mainstream stars, more guys that finish, however thats easier said than done. They need a person with a unique personality that sells but said person should be different from McGregor so its not like he's a copy cat. Like i said this is easier said than done but I'm not a fucking business guy so idk shit about that, lol

Now let's see PPV buys vs. PPV viewers.

You can't measure the latter, but I imagine it would be astronomical compared to the actual buy rates, given people have parties at home, watch in bars, torrent, etc.

Anyways back to the topic at hand:
They gotta make more mainstream stars, more guys that finish, however thats easier said than done. They need a person with a unique personality that sells but said person should be different from McGregor so its not like he's a copy cat. Like i said this is easier said than done but I'm not a fucking business guy so idk shit about that, lol

I don't think you can expect them (or anybody) to "make" a PPV superstar.
There has to be a lot of things aligned to go right.

I can't see how in 5 years they can still be doing a lot of PPV
4 a year tops, maybe?

I don't think you can expect them (or anybody) to "make" a PPV superstar.
There has to be a lot of things aligned to go right.

I can't see how in 5 years they can still be doing a lot of PPV
4 a year tops, maybe?
Yeah like i said, its easier said than done

Now let's see PPV buys vs. PPV viewers.

You can't measure the latter, but I imagine it would be astronomical compared to the actual buy rates, given people have parties at home, watch in bars, torrent, etc.

SBJ did a study a few years ago that had 4-6 viewers for a lower PPV & more for higher
So McGregor/Khabib had 15-20m viewers on PPV alone, plus all the illegal streams

MMA is no longer popular enough to sustain subscriptions on a network IMO they rely heavily on duping the die hard fans who buy every crap card anyway at increasingly ridiculous prices to stay afloat

The model likely stays for a while, but if UFC is smart they would start to widdle down the number of PPV's per year, keep them only for the true mega cards.

This gets more of their shows onto free TV/digital streaming and thus makes it much more accessible content to casuals.

They don't have enough true stars (and the ones they do have are seemingly fighting less and less) to justify 12 PPV cards in a year.

They actually are not adding more
They were doing 14 a few years ago
They might do 11 in 2019 (due to Jan cxl)
Maybe, you might be right. I don't really have source on 2019 now that I think on it. Maybe some MMA media bs. They are doing 13 in 2018. It might be overall events that is growing not just PPV but I might just be plain wrong as well.

Khabib vs GSP will do damn well.

Brock vs DC will also sell a ton.

Jones vs DC would be pretty nice too

The talent is spread too thin over way too many cards.

They should cut it down to 4 PPV's a year and absolutely stack the main card and prelims.

Make every PPV an absolutely MUST see event.

Some fighters will always be bigger draws than others, but UFC should try to be a bit like ECW was back in the day where the brand name became what sold. There will always be fighters who are bigger draws than others but fans can still be conditioned into knowing that the big 4 UFC events a year are all equally worth getting no matter who headlines the card.

The model likely stays for a while, but if UFC is smart they would start to widdle down the number of PPV's per year, keep them only for the true mega cards.

This gets more of their shows onto free TV/digital streaming and thus makes it much more accessible content to casuals.

They don't have enough true stars (and the ones they do have are seemingly fighting less and less) to justify 12 PPV cards in a year.

You could also argue that having Fight Nights and other TV events seemingly every week or every second week makes PPV and seeing fights in general less special. Saturation causes viewer fatigue, especially with longtime fans who've already "seen it all".

You could also argue that having Fight Nights and other TV events seemingly every week or every second week makes PPV and seeing fights in general less special. Saturation causes viewer fatigue, especially with longtime fans who've already "seen it all".

100%
Plus when the PPV main is not much different than some free fights, it makes it a "why bother?"

PPV is rarely a singular purchase
So to get people to come together & give up a Sat night is tougher when the event is "just another fight"

Conor showed big events are as big as ever, but to try & get a group of people to give up a Saturday night for Nunes or Aldo or Mighty Mouse is tough

Back