So today I had a fight at a gym event

michi972

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was a guy in Cro Cop style trunks. Despite the win I feel very upset.The rules were with 51% power in striking, limited power of the strikes on the ground, light actually.
Should i be upset at all?

I was a guy in Cro Cop style trunks. Despite the win I feel very upset.The rules were with 51% power in striking, limited power of the strikes on the ground, light actually.

Good fight. Your opponent seemed more exp. than you are. Be careful with scooping his kick (underhand) repeatedly, a good striker will setup a headkick from that

I wouldn't say you should be upset, its a learning exp. and its good to get as much as you can. you just need more time and you'll have a better performance. Were you upset you somewhat shut down from his striking? You backstepped, stalled, abandoned your combos when he let off his strikes. That's something that needs drilling, repetition, and time.

You do have decent aggression; Though the space was quite large, its different from an actual standard cage or ring, I think you'd do okay with a regular sized cage when cutting him off. You have some idea of getting him on the fence.

Good fight. Your opponent seemed more exp. than you are. Be careful with scooping his kick (underhand) repeatedly, a good striker will setup a headkick from that

I wouldn't say you should be upset, its a learning exp. and its good to get as much as you can. you just need more time and you'll have a better performance. Were you upset you somewhat shut down from his striking? You backstepped, stalled, abandoned your combos when he let off his strikes. That's something that needs drilling, repetition, and time.

You do have decent aggression; Though the space was quite large, its different from an actual standard cage or ring, I think you'd do okay with a regular sized cage when cutting him off. You have some idea of getting him on the fence.
Previous week i had many takedowns from catching kick against even bigger guys, this time it didn't work.I relly on the ground game, i usually grapple better even against bigger guys, but I have problems with striking, with wrestling as well but not as much.

Previous week i had many takedowns from catching kick against even bigger guys, this time it didn't work.I relly on the ground game, i usually grapple better even against bigger guys, but I have problems with striking, with wrestling as well but not as much.
Prob just a bad night. Bear in mind, if catching kicks is something you do all the time since you first started it'll show. If its something you do occasionally in training for a few weeks now, it won't show. Thats what happens when we get into a fight with adrenaline fueling us, we lose cognitive thinking and rely heavily on muscle memory.
But like I said, prob nerves, adrenaline, sometimes having your opponent dictate the rhythm, you might end up not performing as you liked. There's a lot of factors.

Last edited:
I don't see what you have to be upset about. You gave a good account of yourself and controlled most of the fight. Seemed like he went a little harder than you in the standup portion, but you kept calm. There's always something to work on, but still, well done.

Honestly I don't see how this can work and that was bound to happen. if you do some kind of competition even if it's basically a glorified spar where one guy can say he wins how is it possible to keep it at 51%

Obviously you want to win no one who tries to win will kepe it at 51% it's a retarded idea.

Let alone how do you define 51%? Even in normal training everyone has different idea's what 50% means and there is no way to make sure it's true. If someone hits really hard naturally 50% will still be very hard so the other guy who doesn't hit as ahrd will naturally start throwing harder and match the power until the other guy does as well and in the end both go 100%.
The ref has no way of k nowing if it's 50% and not even you and your opponent can be 100% sure how hard both of you are going. You probably also hit the other guy harder than you thoguht you were I doubt it was only his fault.

I mean sorry but again the only way I can put it is that it's a really really bad idea that doesn't work

Honestly I don't see how this can work and that was bound to happen. if you do some kind of competition even if it's basically a glorified spar where one guy can say he wins how is it possible to keep it at 51%

Obviously you want to win no one who tries to win will kepe it at 51% it's a retarded idea.

Let alone how do you define 51%? Even in normal training everyone has different idea's what 50% means and there is no way to make sure it's true. If someone hits really hard naturally 50% will still be very hard so the other guy who doesn't hit as ahrd will naturally start throwing harder and match the power until the other guy does as well and in the end both go 100%.
The ref has no way of k nowing if it's 50% and not even you and your opponent can be 100% sure how hard both of you are going. You probably also hit the other guy harder than you thoguht you were I doubt it was only his fault.

I mean sorry but again the only way I can put it is that it's a really really bad idea that doesn't work
Not to mention walking into a counter will feel alot harder than 50%.
50% power is usually normal sparring anyways

You mean like a smoker? They always say it's a friendly in house training session with other gyms or treat it like it's sparring or go slow or whatever wordings. But the truth is everyone always go at 100%.

The ref or the host will have to say go lighter if you're truly dominating the other guy. Otherwise, they let you go at it at 100%. Only time they tell you to go lighter is when you're dominating or they feel like you're going too hard. If they don't stop you or the other guy, then they must feel like it's fine.

There are certain techniques you can't go lighter. Like the teep. You will end up pushing yourself if you don't teep at 100%.

From the video, it looks light enough. He is just throwing them at a good speed so you might still feel some sting to it. When I spar, I try to go all speed and no power.

And that noob omg. All he had to do was crush you with his body instead of trying to stand up and pull his arm out.

Last edited:
How long have you been training?

huge Crocop fan, so I'm already your friend right off the bat, that's how tribalistic I am. On a more seriously note, how the hell does one compete at 51% striking rules? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard, completely and utterly unfair for the striker, hell, even for the grappler. How does one know exactly how to hold back at 50% in the first place? Whats the point of allowing striking if you can't even use it to win?

Was it an exhibition match for the fans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back