So sergey just said on Instagram live that kovalev vs ward 2 will be June 17th on ppv

"Fans of boxing will see the real 'Krusher' -- the one they have missed for couple of my last fights. For me this rematch is very important as no other bout in my entire boxing career."

That sounds like a cop out to me. Did Kovalev really not treat the first fight like it was the most important? If Ward came out and insinuated that he didn't try his best for a fight I paid $70 for, I'd be pretty disappointed as a fan.

Dominate? He might win but he's not even gonna put a scratch on Kovalev.
Ward is a safety first spoiler. A brilliant one at that.
I guess dominate a UD wasnt clear enough.... Note I didnt say he was going to kick the shit out of Kova?

"Fans of boxing will see the real 'Krusher' -- the one they have missed for couple of my last fights. For me this rematch is very important as no other bout in my entire boxing career."

That sounds like a cop out to me. Did Kovalev really not treat the first fight like it was the most important? If Ward came out and insinuated that he didn't try his best for a fight I paid $70 for, I'd be pretty disappointed as a fan.

I think he's implying he gonna knock Ward out. He did mention his last couple of fights, neither of which ended in a KO.

And i tend to believe him. Ward can't fight him on the outside or at midrange because Kova is too strong.

I think Ward will come out and look to do from the opening bell what it took him a few rounds to do in the first fight: get safely get inside on Kovalev and turn the fight into a grappling match.

But Kovalev should have an answer. In the first fight he did start to try and take a step or two back when Ward would come in but never quite found the range or timing.

Some prep time and a second look should do the trick. I think Kovalev gets the KO. He's too good, too powerful, a boxer puncher too be denied by Ward twice in a row.

Last edited:
I think he's implying he gonna knock Ward out.

In that case, as he found out the first time that's easier said than done. Like I said earlier those early rounds will be tense and I even said earlier that Kovalev showed an ability to outbox Ward at times early in their first fight. But Ward did adjust better than Kovalev did, and he gets to start this fight knowing first hand what Sergey has.

You made some good points though, I don't necessarily disagree. Glad we get to see in June.

I think he's implying he gonna knock Ward out. He did mention his last couple of fights, neither of which ended in a KO.

And i tend to believe him. Ward can't fight him on the outside or at midrange because Kova is too strong.

I think Ward will come out and look to do from the opening bell what it took him a few rounds to do in the first fight: get safely get inside on Kovalev and turn the fight into a grappling match.

But Kovalev should have an answer. In the first fight he did start to try and take a step or two back when Ward would come in but never quite found the range or timing.

Some prep time and a second look should donthe trick. I think Kovalev gets the KO. He's too good, too powerful, a boxer puncher too be denied by Ward twice in a row.

Midrange is one thing, but Ward showed plenty of ability to fight him on the outside. Maybe not beat him walking away, but he definitely hung in with him and had his fair share of successes from that range. The infighting was a one-way street for Ward. If Kovalev can keep the fight to his optimal ranges while nullifying Ward on the inside, it's his fight to lose, but I'm skeptical he can do that.

Here are Hopkins' thoughts on the rematch from a few days ago. He believes that there'll be a trilogy. I doubt there will be but he gives the edge to Kovalev in the rematch.

What B-Hop doesn't outright say is that in Sergey's mind there's only one way to win and that's to stop Ward. IMO he'll hurt Ward at some point again, likely early while he's still fresh, but he'll be much smarter about how he follows it up and won't allow Ward to grab him to recover early like he did. Chilemba and Ward both were able to do this to him by holding to recover in his last two fights. I think by now he'll have learned the spacing better that he needs to maintain in order to follow up his attack more intelligently and address that so he doesn't smother his own work and Ward can't smother the follow-up.

He wants to live up to his nickname "Krusher" and he potentially can if he's calculated and stays measured when going in for the kill against future opponents. The last opportunities he's had against both opponents he botched and that's something he should be able to fix unless his primal instinct completely takes over. Drilling that situation repeatedly can likely solve that with maintaining or creating the proper spacing and using the proper punch selection when it arises. I'd be surprised if he didn't work on it because he'll expect to hurt Ward again at some point during the rematch. There's never been an opponent that he hasn't hurt so polishing up how he goes about looking for the finish is what I see them (him and JDJ) doing.

Last edited:
Please note I'm taking shit for scoring a fight differently to the judges and the same people are giving me shit for scoring it for dre.

Here are Hopkins' thoughts on the rematch from a few days ago. He believes that there'll be a trilogy. I doubt there will be but he gives the edge to Kovalev in the rematch.

What B-Hop doesn't outright say is that in Sergey's mind there's only one way to win and that's to stop Ward. IMO he'll hurt Ward at some point again, likely early while he's still fresh, but he'll be much smarter about how he follows it up and won't allow Ward to grab him to recover early like he did. Chilemba and Ward both were able to do this to him by holding to recover in his last two fights. I think by now he'll have learned the spacing better that he needs to maintain in order to follow up his attack more intelligently and address that so he doesn't smother his own work and Ward can't smother the follow-up.

He wants to live up to his nickname "Krusher" and he potentially can if he's calculated and stays measured when going in for the kill against future opponents. The last opportunities he's had against both opponents he botched and that's something he should be able to fix unless his primal instinct completely takes over. Drilling that situation repeatedly can likely solve that with maintaining or creating the proper spacing and using the proper punch selection when it arises. I'd be surprised if he didn't work on it because he'll expect to hurt Ward again at some point during the rematch. There's never been an opponent that he hasn't hurt so polishing up how he goes about looking for the finish is what I see them (him and JDJ) doing.

I'm of the same mind. The high guard and crouch Ward assumes when hes scared really only leaves uppercuts (and other looping punches underneath) as viable options to follow up.

That's how Darnell Boone knocked him down and hurt him in their fight so its been done before.

Kovalev didn't really try that when the opening presesnted itself in the early rounds in the first fight.

I'm of the same mind. The high guard and crouch Ward assumes when hes scared really only leaves uppercuts (and other looping punches underneath) as viable options to follow up.

That's how Darnell Boone knocked him down and hurt him in their fight so its been done before.

Kovalev didn't really try that when the opening presesnted itself in the early rounds in the first fight.

Very fan-friendly, quick rematch, thank you very much.

Back