So is The Biggest Loser officially done? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by shadow_priest_x, Nov 14, 2017.

1. snootylol Orange Belt

snootylol
    Yes thats true but thats not what i said/meant.. Its fairly normal for an obese person to lose a huge amount within the first week or two of diet and exercise.. and then for it to slow down but still be well above the 2lb a week range. I watched this show ages ago for like a season or two and it was a regular thing..

Losing 20lb week after week is probably not healthy but i didn't see that on the couple of seasons i watched.

2. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    I'm sure some of that 20 lbs is water weight. It has to be.

But I'd still be curious to know how many fat people were able to replicate that kind of loss at home.

3. snootylol Orange Belt

snootylol
    No idea if that's in the study.. but i find it very hard to believe that the only way you can lose weight at 300lb.. is to eat only 1k cal and work out 2hrs a day

This is were the problem is because you also have studies saying that long term diets do not wreck your metabolism and it recovers quite quickly

4. JLynn White Belt

JLynn
    a lot of the contestants on that show wanted an easy way out a quick way out and got it, of course there's healthy and un healthy but....the contestants know the risks...they got what they wanted

5. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    It may depend on qualities of the long-term diet.

Like I said, on the show, they had these people regularly eating 1200 calories a day, with four to six hours of exercise per day. The problem there is, once you stop losing weight, where do you go? It's not really reasonable to increase the exercise anymore . . . and it's also not really reasonable to go down any farther with the calories. The trainers basically had them redlining their weight loss from the very beginning.

6. JLynn White Belt

JLynn
    I used to be extremely overweight and in the first few months 10's and twenty's weeks were not uncommon. especially going from sodas and coffees to water and chips to leafy greens I mean....so much body waste and not so much fat loss in the beginning

shadow_priest_x likes this.
  7. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
    If you are extremely obese, it would not be hard for anyone to lose that first twenty.

It’s the taking off more and more that contunously gets harder.

If you took one of those 600lb people from those other shows and only fed them heathly food at say 1500 calories per day and made them only drink water,unsweetened tea and black coffee I’d bet every last one of them would shed 20+ on the first week and that would be without even working out.

The bigger you are the less that 20lbs represents as a percentage of your weight.

20lbs for a 600lb person is equivalent to around 6lbs for a 200lber

JLynn and shadow_priest_x like this.
  8. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    fat fucks are gonna fat fuck

90 50 likes this.
  9. FightsFTW Red Belt

FightsFTW
    What was some of the criticism towards the show? I actually watched this show almost every season. It was a good show, first I've heard of issues from contestants on it. I knew some of the shit was extreme, but didn't think it affected them negatively in the long run.

10. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
    I can see it having some psychological negative affects.

They know they are fat fucks, on the show they see they don’t have to be, but off the show they are weak minded with no willpower and go into depression about not having the strength to stay skinny and eat more to cope.

11. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    An interesting article with more specifics on the contestants' metabolic crash:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

@GearSolidMetal @mjmj @90 50

One excerpt:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    There has been lots of criticism, especially from previous contestants. Allegations of crash dieting instead of healthy dieting, prescription of illegal weight loss substances like Ephedra, the coaches encouraging contestants to lose water weight to pump their numbers up even though everyone agreed not to do that, lasting negative physical effects from the extreme weight loss methods, contestants' injuries being ignored by medical staff, psychological abuse whenever a contestant would question something. . . All kinds of shit.

FightsFTW likes this.
  13. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
  14. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Where does it say they stopped working out?

15. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
    You posted it I assumed you read it. Read it again

16. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    From reading that article, it sounds like these people didn't work out as much as they said they did and ate much more than they said they did.

LogicalInsanity likes this.
  17. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Y'all will have to post excerpts because I'm not seeing anything to indicate that they went home and stopped exercising, or were somehow dishonest in reporting the amount of exercise they were doing.

18. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    I didn't say they stopped exercising. Honestly, that article was written in a manner that made me feel like the author was ultimately prescribing that being obese is ok because it's a disease they have no control over, yet they described in multiple scenarios about binge eating and how much of struggle it was to not over eat or not be motivated.

I've been there - people lie or at least are not truthful to themselves. Doing what it takes to keep fit is not easy for most people. Having to rely on yourself to be strict on what you put into your body as well as how you use your body is very tough, especially as you get older. These people were fat most of their lives and spent weeks on a show where their trainers were holding them accountable. If they didn't have that motivation after all was said and done, they were only truly setting themselves up for failure. There are people who have diseases that lead to obesity in spite of a decent will power. But the truth is, most people don't have the will power and lie to themselves about what they're actually ingesting and how much they work out.

19. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
    It Litterely says that the people said they didn’t have the time to work out and or couldn’t afford gym memberships etc.

So yes lack of will power. Didn’t make the time to at least walk 30 mins a day and spent money on binge treats instead of a gym membership.

20. blaseblah Black Belt

blaseblah
    If they are burning less calories than other people they simply need to eat less than other people and/or do more exercise. What is the issue exactly?