So, if Mayweather beats Marciano's record, does it still mean something or all boxing historians Mad

pb is... during that era, all the black killers were ducked...hard to assess...

What makes guys like Johnson, Ketchel, or Dempsey harder to assess is the fact that so little tape of fights was available. We have Jack Dempsey murking people, but we usually dont have any of his opponent's fights to judge their skills. They could be schlubs, or the baddest fuckers ever. Who knows.

Sugar Ray's early fights, and most of Charley Burley's fights not having surviving films to document their greatness, it's like a cosmic crime.

stats are one index for greatness so yes it matters but it's only one indicator. After all, marciano is never considered the top heavyweight champ ever.

It's not the rule set of the fight. Its the fact that one of the best boxers went up against someone who doesnt really box. The only thing I believe historians will really look at Mayweather and McGregor is if Mayweather loses. I dont think they will look at this fight to place Mayweather in historical text unless he does lose. I could be wrong, but I see it more like a spar for Mayweather. But Conor might shock me and get he win. But Im not counting on it or even hoping he does. But anything can happen. Never thought Tyson was going to lose to Buster Douglas.

Floyd is a better Boxer then Tyson and Buster Douglas is a WAY better Boxer then Conor

Just the interesting part to this, does beating Marciano's record if he does mean something or always tarnished if he wins over a guy with 0 pro boxing matches? I can't imagine that boxing analysts or historians will be happy with that. I am interested in this match, I am not saying I am not, just wondering about it historically. Or, is Floyd trying to preserve boxing's greatness, by saying a boxer can beat a modern MMA guy? Where does race come into this or in marketing (Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)? I don't usually bring up race, but if you don't think race has anything to do with boxing promotion you are crazy. I really hope Mayweather productions puts Nate Diaz vs someone on the undercard, I think that gets a lot more buys from MMA fans which I hope they do not ignore. If they also put Nick on there (I believe both Diaz brothers applied for NV boxing licence in the past), even better, it would become an absolutely unmissable Mega event. Let the Diaz Brothers box and get paid! Works out well for UFC because hugely helps sell Conor vs Nate 3 after (even if McG defends 155 belt at end of the year against someone else first....or even against Nate).

Just my thoughts on this thing................
marciano's record is one of the most insignificant records around.

Yeah man, none of the greats ever padded thier record.;)

The McCloner fight means NOTHING.

It should not be listed on Floyd's professional record tbh.

He will beat the record against 0-0 amateur but enthusiastic guy so this is not history.

He will beat the record against 0-0 amateur but enthusiastic guy so this is not history.
The McCloner fight means NOTHING.

It should not be listed on Floyd's professional record tbh.

The answer is that it does count as a professional fight (because, literally, it counts as a professional fight), but it's a completely meaningless accessory to be added to his record. The record really doesn't matter much, in and of itself, in the first place. Floyd has far more fights on the world level when compared with Marciano (to say nothing of weight jumping, the shittiness of Marciano's era, and so on). 50-0 for Floyd, aside from the optics for people that get off on that kind of triviality, really means nothing more than 49-0.

Of course, if we're talking the other side of boxing, it means another 9 figure payday, which is never trivial.

Look at the record of Marcianos opponents, it's not murderers row.

Back