So, if Mayweather beats Marciano's record, does it still mean something or all boxing historians Mad

DanTheWolfman.com

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just the interesting part to this, does beating Marciano's record if he does mean something or always tarnished if he wins over a guy with 0 pro boxing matches? I can't imagine that boxing analysts or historians will be happy with that. I am interested in this match, I am not saying I am not, just wondering about it historically. Or, is Floyd trying to preserve boxing's greatness, by saying a boxer can beat a modern MMA guy? Where does race come into this or in marketing (Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)? I don't usually bring up race, but if you don't think race has anything to do with boxing promotion you are crazy. I really hope Mayweather productions puts Nate Diaz vs someone on the undercard, I think that gets a lot more buys from MMA fans which I hope they do not ignore. If they also put Nick on there (I believe both Diaz brothers applied for NV boxing licence in the past), even better, it would become an absolutely unmissable Mega event. Let the Diaz Brothers box and get paid! Works out well for UFC because hugely helps sell Conor vs Nate 3 after (even if McG defends 155 belt at end of the year against someone else first....or even against Nate).

Just my thoughts on this thing................

Just the interesting part to this, does beating Marciano's record if he does mean something or always tarnished if he wins over a guy with 0 pro boxing matches? I can't imagine that boxing analysts or historians will be happy with that. I am interested in this match, I am not saying I am not, just wondering about it historically. Or, is Floyd trying to preserve boxing's greatness, by saying a boxer can beat a modern MMA guy? Where does race come into this or in marketing (Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)? I don't usually bring up race, but if you don't think race has nothing to do with boxing promotion you are crazy. I really hope Mayweather productions puts Nate Diaz vs someone on the undercard, I think that gets a lot more buys from MMA fans which I hope they do not ignore. If they also put Nick on there (I believe both Diaz brothers applied for NV boxing licence in the past), even better, it would become an absolutely unmissable Mega event. Let the Diaz Brothers box and get paid! Works out well for UFC because hugely helps sell Conor vs Nate 3 after (even if McG defends 155 belt at end of the year against someone else first....or even against Nate).

"(Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)"

ever heard of Willie Pep?

Just the interesting part to this, does beating Marciano's record if he does mean something or always tarnished if he wins over a guy with 0 pro boxing matches? I can't imagine that boxing analysts or historians will be happy with that. I am interested in this match, I am not saying I am not, just wondering about it historically. Or, is Floyd trying to preserve boxing's greatness, by saying a boxer can beat a modern MMA guy? Where does race come into this or in marketing (Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)? I don't usually bring up race, but if you don't think race has anything to do with boxing promotion you are crazy. I really hope Mayweather productions puts Nate Diaz vs someone on the undercard, I think that gets a lot more buys from MMA fans which I hope they do not ignore. If they also put Nick on there (I believe both Diaz brothers applied for NV boxing licence in the past), even better, it would become an absolutely unmissable Mega event. Let the Diaz Brothers box and get paid! Works out well for UFC because hugely helps sell Conor vs Nate 3 after (even if McG defends 155 belt at end of the year against someone else first....or even against Nate).

"(Rocky Marciano being the greatest white boxer of all time)"

ever heard of Eder Jofre?

The record isn't particularly meaningful when put in context. Mayweather is already a fair bit greater than Marciano, and there are fighters with several losses who are greater than Mayweather.

The Diaz brothers aren't going to have anything to do with this card. A big reason why Floyd is doing this fight is to give some of the fighters he promotes a massive platform for exposure (namely Gervonta Davis).

"Marciano's record"

Chavez was 89–0–1 b4 losing to Randall

Pep was 69-0 b4 losing to Angott

Lol, I knew this would get things stirring

Yes, I know of Willie Pep and so does Cruz

Yes I know about Chavez

Doesn't mean Floyd hasn't talked about Marciano's record, and something that registers with White buyers

If I don't know about Lopez and Jofre, I doubt that many casual buyers do either

This isn't a researched article I have written, just something to stir up fun on the net about this fight, and some marketing things to think about.

Records are made to be broken. Floyd could be 100-0 and people still argue that he's not the best ever. G.O.A.T. will always be subjective and there will always be bias for a persons favorite fighter.

...........hmmmm, I thought the GOAT was Sugar Ray Robinson.....

I feel like we all just transported to a black barber shop...........

Historians will probably see this fight like they do Ali vs Inoki

Lol, I knew this would get things stirring

Yes, I know of Willie Pep and so does Cruz

Yes I know about Chavez

Doesn't mean Floyd hasn't talked about Marciano's record, and something that registers with White buyers

If I don't know about Lopez and Jofre, I doubt that many casual buyers do either

This isn't a researched article I have written, just something to stir up fun on the net about this fight, and some marketing things to think about.
Willie Pep & Harry Greb are ahead of Marciano in most GOATs list.

Jofre, only on hardcore dudes´list.

I dont know how padded Marciano's record is. Im not a boxing fanatic, but you could just count Conor as another can if you really need to. One more can on a record might not be that big of deal.

Willie Pep & Harry Greb are ahead of Marciano in most GOATs list.

Jofre, only on hardcore dudes´list.

It depends who we're calling "white". A lot of Marciano's contemporaries might not have considered him white, seeing as he's Sicilian background. Benny Leonard was undoubtedly greater than Marciano, but most people in America during Leonard's boxing career probably wouldn't consider an Ashkenazi Jew to be white.

It depends who we're calling "white". A lot of Marciano's contemporaries might not have considered him white, seeing as he's Sicilian background. Benny Leonard was undoubtedly greater than Marciano, but most people in America during Leonard's boxing career probably wouldn't consider an Ashkenazi Jew to be white.
ah.. this is another story...

Historians will probably see this fight like they do Ali vs Inoki

Which, in American/European circles, is seen a whole lot differently than here in Japan where I am.

I had drinks with one of the Ali/Inoki promoters recently, and also have rank under Ref Gene LeBell......
In my After Rizin interviews I talk a lot about Ali/Inoki position w the fighters, and the recent Invicta card on Fight Pass TJ Desantis started calling the one up one down position that for the first time, which I think means I got it back into the vocabulary outside Japan

I dont know how padded Marciano's record is. Im not a boxing fanatic, but you could just count Conor as another can if you really need to. One more can on a record might not be that big of deal.

The first top 10 rated fighter (going by Ring Magazine) Marciano fought was Rex Layne. That was Marciano's 36th fight. The heavy majority of Marciano's opponents for the rest of his career (with a few exceptions) were on the world level. The first rated fighter Mayweather fought was Genaro Hernandez (the lineal SFW champion of the world at the time). That was Mayweather's 18th fight. The heavy majority of Mayweather's opponents since have been on the world level. There is a lot more fluff on Marciano's resume (mostly because he got a fairly late start in boxing, and then was forced into retirement somewhat prematurely due to chronic injuries).

Back