So I just got knocked out for the first time..

Mad Dollar

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I just got knocked out for the first time during sparring today.
I'm a southpaw and got hit by a clean overhand right to the temple from the orthodox stance.
I've always struggled with pressure fighters, because I'm a tall guy and like to counterpunch.. What can I do to prevent getting hit by the overhand right and what is the best way to counter it?
Any advice will be much appreciated since I'm more motivated than ever to improve my striking game!

You swip de roight outsoid yeah, an you take 'is 'ead clean oof with that left hand shot yeh. Aint noone can defen.

If you're a tall guy in Copenhagen, does that mean you're like 8 feet tall? People in Denmark are HUGE

What style? boxing, kickboxing or mma? I'm more of a boxer so most of my counters to an overhand are boxing. First most important thing is to never and i mean never get caught backing out to your left with your head up, this can be hard to avoid if you are an unexperienced boxer and are trying to maintain range. the best way to avoid the overhand is to move forward and to your right. as you step in throw a straight left while using your right arm to crossguard and follow it up with a right hook to the head. as you throw the right hook pivot on you lead foot moving the back foot further away from your opponent, this should keep you on the outside where you are most comfortable and also give you a good angle for follow up strikes.

can take a bit to make that one work, but it's deadly if you can master it. my brothers a southpaw but he's more of a pressure fighter, one of his favourites is jab straight left, jab straight left, fake jab overhand always moving to your right. another alternative if your not comfortable moving in under the overhand right, is to duck under right hook to the body left hand to the head, you have to be a bit careful with that one in mma or thai as they can counter the duck with a knee.

What style? boxing, kickboxing or mma? I'm more of a boxer so most of my counters to an overhand are boxing. First most important thing is to never and i mean never get caught backing out to your left with your head up, this can be hard to avoid if you are an unexperienced boxer and are trying to maintain range. the best way to avoid the overhand is to move forward and to your right. as you step in throw a straight left while using your right arm to crossguard and follow it up with a right hook to the head. as you throw the right hook pivot on you lead foot moving the back foot further away from your opponent, this should keep you on the outside where you are most comfortable and also give you a good angle for follow up strikes.
That's always my instinct to move away from the power side especially because as a southpaw your open to the orthodox power side. Moving forward is putting you in line with the jab but that's better than the alternative unless you get caught moving in.

You swip de roight outsoid yeah, an you take 'is 'ead clean oof with that left hand shot yeh. Aint noone can defen.
That actually sounds like a good idea, I will definitely try that tomorrow at sparring !

If you're a tall guy in Copenhagen, does that mean you're like 8 feet tall? People in Denmark are HUGE
Haha, yeah the guys at the gym are pretty big, but I'm 193cm with a long reach so I feel pretty comfortable sparring who ever at the gym ;)!

Thanks for the advice I seriously appreciate it, I will go practice what you just told me on my heavybag and then try it out at kickboxing sparring tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice I seriously appreciate it, I will go practice what you just told me on my heavybag and then try it out at kickboxing sparring tomorrow!
You probably weren't knocked out if you're going back to sparring again so soon.

But yeah, don't be lazy with the jab, don't step too far in with it either, bring it straight back to protect from the overhand and try moving away from their power side and to your right generally. If they close the distance, than a lead shovel hook while turning to the right taking an angle to position yourself on their left side outside of the line of fire is good too. Using your lead hand to trap their lead and then coming with a straight left down the pipe is a good southpaw one as well.

PS: I'm from Rumblesports too, but I haven't been down there in like 5 months as I'm actually recovering from a concussion. How long have you trained?

You probably weren't knocked out if you're going back to sparring again so soon.

But yeah, don't be lazy with the jab, don't step too far in with it either, bring it straight back to protect from the overhand and try moving away from their power side and to your right generally. If they close the distance, than a lead shovel hook while turning to the right taking an angle to position yourself on their left side outside of the line of fire is good too. Using your lead hand to trap their lead and then coming with a straight left down the pipe is a good southpaw one as well.

PS: I'm from Rumblesports too, but I haven't been down there in like 5 months as I'm actually recovering from a concussion. How long have you trained?

I wasn't knocked out for more than a second or two, but i have no memory of hitting the canvas at all.
I really appreciate the advise, and it seems like most of y'all want me to go to the right and counter with the left, so I will keep that in mind at all times now!
- I've been training kickboxing for a little over a year and been sparring since last summer ;)
- C u at the gym when you've fully recovered!

the main thing about moving to the right and throwing the straight left is that it works best if you can beat them to the punch, don't back off then counter, you have to throw the left hard and straight as soon as you see them load up for the overhand, always follow it up with the right hook if you are in position. they will get sick of throwing big overhands if they eat a straight left, right hook counter every time. learn to mix this up to the head and body and you'll give 'em fits, once you master that learn to vary it with the right uppercut if they start ducking the hook.

for kick boxing the classic counter is the left kick to the body. if you can block the punches and land hard kicks they get cautious to expose their ribs by punching. the only thing about countering with kicks is make sure they are strong kicks otherwise your opponent will only walk through them anyway. doesn't matter what your kicking arms, ribs whatever. just keep throwing that sucker hard. that is one of the most common ways that thai's counter punchers, and your southpaw stance is perfect for this option.

the main thing about moving to the right and throwing the straight left is that it works best if you can beat them to the punch, don't back off then counter, you have to throw the left hard and straight as soon as you see them load up for the overhand, always follow it up with the right hook if you are in position. they will get sick of throwing big overhands if they eat a straight left, right hook counter every time. learn to mix this up to the head and body and you'll give 'em fits, once you master that learn to vary it with the right uppercut if they start ducking the hook.

I am honestly surprised by how many technical good responses I've received on this thread, and I will try to incorporate every advise I've received into my sparring from now on! :)
- And I can't wait to try the left cross right hook combo out next time I go spar !!

did you have a head ache after ? I got stunned once in school running into a wall and had a similar experience. no head aches. I have been concussed in sparring and its totally different. sounds like you had a flash knockout. My advice would be to practice the front leg teep or front kick. That is good for keeping guys off you and can set up the rear leg round kick.

did you have a head ache after ? I got stunned once in school running into a wall and had a similar experience. no head aches. I have been concussed in sparring and its totally different. sounds like you had a flash knockout. My advice would be to practice the front leg teep or front kick. That is good for keeping guys off you and can set up the rear leg round kick.
I didn't really have any headaches I just feel a little groggy, like I've been watching tv for way to long or something like that.
But I was okay after I got up and had a short break, and sparred the last rounds before the session was done.
- I try to teepkick sometimes but most of the time I get countered with a few punches right afterwards, so I don't use that kick so much anymore

I wasn't knocked out for more than a second or two, but i have no memory of hitting the canvas at all.
I really appreciate the advise, and it seems like most of y'all want me to go to the right and counter with the left, so I will keep that in mind at all times now!
- I've been training kickboxing for a little over a year and been sparring since last summer ;)
- C u at the gym when you've fully recovered!
Sounds more like a flash knockdown yeah. If your head feels fine then ok, but if you have any headaches, or any other sign of a concussion, then let it rest a little.

Ah okay cool, I can't wait to be back down there! I'm visiting a neurologist today and I'm sure I'll get the green light.

Miss sparring!

Sounds more like a flash knockdown yeah. If your head feels fine then ok, but if you have any headaches, or any other sign of a concussion, then let it rest a little.

Ah okay cool, I can't wait to be back down there! I'm visiting a neurologist today and I'm sure I'll get the green light.

Miss sparring!

I don't have any headaches or anything like that, but if I ever have I sure as hell will have a long break until I feel totally fine again !
- Good luck at the doctors, and I understand that you miss sparring, I always spar at Monday's and Wednesday's at 17-18 ;)!

Back