So I guess our gym is losing money...

This throwaway mindset is what causes schools to fail. Zero loyalty, and thinking only in selfish terms of equating your bjj training to simply buying a product... and if a more enticing deal comes along, leaving your old gym behind and taking all that mat experience with you.

I may not have to worry from a personal financial aspect if my gym fails, but Id be devastated as my instructor is both a good friend and devoted part of his life to making me better at BJJ, I wouldnt want to train anywhere else, regardless if the instructor was higher-profile, it was cheaper, or it was closer.

Bjj schools fail due to bad work etiquette, bad instructors and many other factors.

Blaming customers loyalty is actually a bad way to run a business.

People don't seem to realise that having black belt in bjj doesn't automatically make them black belts in other areas of life. Running a business is not for everyone and gyms are not exception here. Business for me -being an owner of couple of businesses - is all about common sense and hard work. Unfortunately plenty of folk lack either or both of them.

Bjj schools fail due to bad work etiquette, bad instructors and many other factors.

Blaming customers loyalty is actually a bad way to run a business.

Perhaps I wasnt specific enough. Good schools with good instructors suffer greatly (and can fail) due to the throwaway mindset of some students.

Also, comparing training at a school as simply a customer transaction is a bit disingenuous... talented students at a gym are part of the product, not simply customers.

Perhaps I wasnt specific enough. Good schools with good instructors suffer greatly (and can fail) due to the throwaway mindset of some students.

Also, comparing training at a school as simply a customer transaction is a bit disingenuous... talented students at a gym are part of the product, not simply customers.

Guilty as charged.

I look at full time instructors are running a business and their students are paying customers for a service.

About talented students, maybe you meant another word because a talented student would do well regardless of his coach is any good.

I wonder if BJJ will become like Judo and Wrestling - i.e. there are so many clubs around everywhere and it is so widespread in an amateur sense that you can't really charge a lot for it?

I wonder if BJJ will become like Judo and Wrestling - i.e. there are so many clubs around everywhere and it is so widespread in an amateur sense that you can't really charge a lot for it?

They can co exist together in the community as they cater for different type of clientele and it is great.

Of course, it means that the pro have to up their game.

I met a judoka and he would prefer a pro judo club. He does mind paying it. Lot more classes, organised classes, big space mats and up to standards facility like changing rooms with clean showers etc..

Back