So I guess I'm a cancer survivor

Sorry about your diagnosis! Mind if I ask what you're taking? Something like natalizumab or fingolimod?

The issue with a lot of new cancer drugs/biomarkers is that they're effective against very particular forms of the disease and thus difficult to scale. Biomarkers can also be expensive to use for mass screening without being sufficiently specific to a cancer diagnosis.

Cancer is an asshole.

I take Tecfidera (Dimethyl fumarate). I first started on fingolimod (gilenya), but it after a year or so, it had fucked up my immune system somewhat, and I had to stop. I also had 3 new lesions occur, whilst on Gilenya.

I do have some side effects with Tecfidera, mainly annoying/irritating body flushing 2-3 days per week. Not to bad tho, last about 30min, and usually avoidable if I don't drink much the day before, and don't take on empty stomach.

I agree that it is difficult to scale. It is all relatively new science, and I am sure they will make rapid improvements with it. The fact that I take the same dose of this medication that a line backer in the NFL would, and a 60 year old, 100 lb woman would, just shows they got some work to do lol.

I actively participate in discussions about the medications as well, when the specialty pharmacy that provides it has discussion groups, etc. I also work in the medical field and am a RN, so I want to give them all the beneficial information I can for their research.

Congrats! I completed 6 cycles of chemotherapy for a stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with my last treatment being late April. Are you going to do any chemo preventatively or it isn't necessary?
Nope! None needed. Just some regular ct scans every six months for the first 2 years snd once a year after that.

Nope! None needed. Just some regular ct scans every six months for the first 2 years snd once a year after that.

Alright well I hope it doesn't come back! You avoided the really shitty part of having cancer which is chemo. That stuff hurts

Good job, you for taking action and your medical team for doing their job well.
What's bananas is that at the beggining when I saw my primary doctor about the side pain I was having, he ordered an ultrasound to check for gallstones. He actually saw the tumor on my kidney through the scan but just labeled it as a cyst and said it's pretty normal. They dont do any damage when they're that small. Oh what could have been lol.

I hope none of you fell it to this shitty illness.

Alright well I hope it doesn't come back! You avoided the really shitty part of having cancer which is chemo. That stuff hurts
I've heard many horror stories from people that have gone through it. No thank you lol

Good man cancer is evil
It took my nan at 47 leukaemia
When she died my mom went off rails same time she had me .
Always chance anyone of us could have it

One year bump! Exactly a year ago on this day I had the surgery to remove the tumor and I'm happy to report that after two 6 month interval CT scans there are no signs of growing back and no adverse affects from the surgery! Get yearly checks and don't ignore pains or things people. It could be super serious.

well my best friend wasnt as lucky as you. He died.

I never get cancer because cancer wont attack people with copious amounts of alcohol in their system like mosquitos and flies.

I just cured cancer. just get really drunk.

Congrats! I completed 6 cycles of chemotherapy for a stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with my last treatment being late April. Are you going to do any chemo preventatively or it isn't necessary?
Damn dude, 6 cycles had to beat you down. Hope you’re clear now.

One year bump! Exactly a year ago on this day I had the surgery to remove the tumor and I'm happy to report that after two 6 month interval CT scans there are no signs of growing back and no adverse affects from the surgery! Get yearly checks and don't ignore pains or things people. It could be super serious.

Happy to hear bro. I missed the thread first time round but I'm glad you came out ok

This time last year, my doc called and told me they thought I had pancreatic cancer. Darkest periods of my life hands down, turned out to be the same thing that killed Steve Jobs, neuroendocryn tumor in my pancreas.
Remedy, a procedure called a whipple surgery. I was in the hospital for a week, I’ve never been more grateful for the second chance I’ve been given..

Fun fact, I found out Steve Jobs turned down the surgery. I told the surgeon I wouldn’t volunteer for this in 100 years but I had to If i wanted to watch my grandkids grow up.

Happy to hear bro. I missed the thread first time round but I'm glad you came out ok
Thanks! Came out ok and I had aflac insurance to cover all the medical expenses so it didn't hurt me financially either.
This time last year, my doc called and told me they thought I had pancreatic cancer. Darkest periods of my life hands down, turned out to be the same thing that killed Steve Jobs, neuroendocryn tumor in my pancreas.
Remedy, a procedure called a whipple surgery. I was in the hospital for a week, I’ve never been more grateful for the second chance I’ve been given..

Fun fact, I found out Steve Jobs turned down the surgery. I told the surgeon I wouldn’t volunteer for this in 100 years but I had to If i wanted to watch my grandkids grow up.
Jesus christ bro that's harrowing.

Thanks! Came out ok and I had aflac insurance to cover all the medical expenses so it didn't hurt me financially either.

Jesus christ bro that's harrowing.
When I got the initial call, it was in shock. Then I thought Lance Armstrong had cancer and beat it how bad could it be. Then I looked it up, and I was in dead man walking mode for about a month until they identified what it was and it was treatable.
Scary stuff indeed. The worst part is now I’m @Zer spank bank.

When I got the initial call, it was in shock. Then I thought Lance Armstrong had cancer and beat it how bad could it be. Then I looked it up, and I was in dead man walking mode for about a month until they identified what it was and it was treatable.

I'm glad you're ok bro. Much respect to anyone who's had to go through that shit

That's intense my man. Glad you made it out of the fire.

Back