So I guess I'm a cancer survivor

Damn dude, that's a stupid rare thing to have at your age. Like 2% of a cancer that affects like 2% of people.

That's really great that it was found so early. Make sure you attend all your follow-ups and consider having your immediate family members screened early if they haven't been already.

Back in December 2017, after undergoing a series of scans and tests looking for gall bladder issues, doctors discovered a tumor on my kidney. With some software measuring some CT scans with and without dye, my urologist told me that the tumor was a 90% chance of being cancerous.
Seeing how it was small and mostly on the outside of the kidney, my urologist suggested a partial nephrectomy to me. That is he wanted to open me up and cut off the part of my kidney with the growth. After months of deliberating I finally decided to go with it and I'm glad I did. The pathology report noted that the tumor was indeed cancerous. Clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Pretty rare for a dude who just turned 30 to be growing this type of cancer. In all likelihood, if left unchecked, the cancer would have grown, spread, been asymptomatic and would have developed into a metastatic stage 4 cancer by the time I was 40.

All in all I should count my lucky stars that a fluke CT scan helped me figure this out. If you have a friend or loved one you care about, you should tell them that today. You never know what kind of lemon life is going to throw at you. Happy to have the chance to live a better, fuller life.

20180814_154319_zpstrj4yuwy.jpg
im happy for you bro
I wish you the best and hope you use this to take nothing for granted, I know after reading that I aspire to do that

I'm glad they caught it and you're doing well.

I'm on 24 years of remission from non-hodgkins lymphoma.

My father had that and was one of the first people they performed chemo/radiation on, back in the 70's. Got him out of Vietnam early, so maybe ironically saved his life. He has been in the clear since. Glad to hear you and @Naught2Sixty are doing well. They thought I had brain cancer at one point, but it ended up being something else. The diagnostic testing and waiting was brutal.

That's awesome! I would be hesistant to have a CT done on me at 30 years old (I would personally ask for a MRI) but I guess it was worth it. Working in both the inpatient/outpatient setting at a medical center I can't even tell you how many times I've seen patients in their mid 30s and under with metastatic cancer. That's without seeing pediatrics! I wish one day they can figure out a extremely accurate universal screening (I know there are some test that exist that can detect a lot of cancers in the early stages), but to the point where it's part of your annual physical check ups. Something simple as a blood draw.

<mma3>You can never beat cancer in the long run. At best something beats you before it does.

Im available for party's...pm me.<34>

You spelled parties wrong...

Don't call us, we'll call you. <Moves>

Anyway, congrats to you TS! :)

My father had that and was one of the first people they performed chemo/radiation on, back in the 70's. Got him out of Vietnam early, so maybe ironically saved his life. He has been in the clear since. Glad to hear you and @Naught2Sixty are doing well. They thought I had brain cancer at one point, but it ended up being something else. The diagnostic testing and waiting was brutal.
Omg the waiting is the worst. It really kind of makes you think in a different perspective for awhile. A lot of what ifs and what am I going to dos. Thankfully it wasnt brain cancer for you lol. Congrats

That's awesome! I would be hesistant to have a CT done on me at 30 years old (I would personally ask for a MRI) but I guess it was worth it. Working in both the inpatient/outpatient setting at a medical center I can't even tell you how many times I've seen patients in their mid 30s and under with metastatic cancer. That's without seeing pediatrics! I wish one day they can figure out a extremely accurate universal screening (I know there are some test that exist that can detect a lot of cancers in the early stages), but to the point where it's part of your annual physical check ups. Something simple as a blood draw.
I feel like even though we are very advanced, at the same time we're still in an infancy when it comes to medicine. Theres a lot more to learn and a lot of technology that can be invented. I'm looking forward to the future though.

Omg the waiting is the worst. It really kind of makes you think in a different perspective for awhile. A lot of what ifs and what am I going to dos. Thankfully it wasnt brain cancer for you lol. Congrats

It ended up being MS, which sucks, but better than dying lol

With MS, it sucked for the first couple years, and I still have some residual problems, but they have come out with a new series of medications that are pretty much game changers, as they say. It has completely stopped any new MS activity since I have been on it, almost 3 years now. Which ties into your next post.

I feel like even though we are very advanced, at the same time we're still in an infancy when it comes to medicine. Theres a lot more to learn and a lot of technology that can be invented. I'm looking forward to the future though.

I feel we will hit a beneficial curve soon in terms of growth in the field of medicine. Similar to how after the industrial revolution, the rate at which we have developed technology has been simply amazing. We went from Barely being able to fly, to landing on the moon within like 70 years. The development of the internet and computers has been insane. A little phone is more powerful than a super computer that took up the entire basement of a building within the span of like 70 years also.

They are creating straight up vaccines for common cancers like breast cancer. Even just 5 years ago, pancreatic cancer was sure death within 3-6 months. Now it can be stopped to the point of remission (if the person is young enough).

They are even creating vaccines for different types of dementia, including Alzheimer's. If it is caught early enough. And they are working on cures for more advanced dementias, that are showing a lot of promise.

Even within the last 1-2 years, there have been amazing advancements in spine surgery and ortho surgeries. 2 years ago, someone would have spine surgery and need to go to a rehab for 3-6 weeks, needing max assistance, and have a massive wound (sutured). Now it is so minimally invasive, people are having the same, significant spine surgeries, and able to be discharged home the next day. They are able to walk themselves, and go on with their life, with minimal outpatient rehab.

Nice one mate.

I was wrongly diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of years ago. Was a scary few months. Super relieved when I got the all clear.

With MS, it sucked for the first couple years, and I still have some residual problems, but they have come out with a new series of medications that are pretty much game changers, as they say. It has completely stopped any new MS activity since I have been on it, almost 3 years now. Which ties into your next post.

I feel we will hit a beneficial curve soon in terms of growth in the field of medicine. Similar to how after the industrial revolution, the rate at which we have developed technology has been simply amazing. We went from Barely being able to fly, to landing on the moon within like 70 years. The development of the internet and computers has been insane. A little phone is more powerful than a super computer that took up the entire basement of a building within the span of like 70 years also.

They are creating straight up vaccines for common cancers like breast cancer. Even just 5 years ago, pancreatic cancer was sure death within 3-6 months. Now it can be stopped to the point of remission (if the person is young enough).

They are even creating vaccines for different types of dementia, including Alzheimer's. If it is caught early enough. And they are working on cures for more advanced dementias, that are showing a lot of promise.

Even within the last 1-2 years, there have been amazing advancements in spine surgery and ortho surgeries. 2 years ago, someone would have spine surgery and need to go to a rehab for 3-6 weeks, needing max assistance, and have a massive wound (sutured). Now it is so minimally invasive, people are having the same, significant spine surgeries, and able to be discharged home the next day. They are able to walk themselves, and go on with their life, with minimal outpatient rehab.
Damn MS is a scary one too.

I actually didn't know any of what your talking about here. I guess medicine is a lot further advanced than I thought.

My nephrectomy was actually a robot assisted one. Much smaller precise incisions and the like. The robot was intense looking. Something out of nightmares.

That's scary, man. Glad to hear you're alright.

You spelled parties wrong...

Don't call us, we'll call you. <Moves>

Anyway, congrats to you TS! :)

Dude...I have a grade 8 edgamacation, am a looser by all social metrics, and have an ancient Sherdog account and yet no won was ever my friend. (Except @Drunken Meat Fist ) Just give me a '''like' , it will give me the will to soldier on. Belief of a better day is the horizon I chase after, but have realized that it's just the same shitty day prolonged.

Im literally forum cancer.

@HomerThompson

Sorry about your diagnosis! Mind if I ask what you're taking? Something like natalizumab or fingolimod?

The issue with a lot of new cancer drugs/biomarkers is that they're effective against very particular forms of the disease and thus difficult to scale. Biomarkers can also be expensive to use for mass screening without being sufficiently specific to a cancer diagnosis.

Cancer is an asshole.

Good job, you for taking action and your medical team for doing their job well.

Back in December 2017, after undergoing a series of scans and tests looking for gall bladder issues, doctors discovered a tumor on my kidney. With some software measuring some CT scans with and without dye, my urologist told me that the tumor was a 90% chance of being cancerous.
Seeing how it was small and mostly on the outside of the kidney, my urologist suggested a partial nephrectomy to me. That is he wanted to open me up and cut off the part of my kidney with the growth. After months of deliberating I finally decided to go with it and I'm glad I did. The pathology report noted that the tumor was indeed cancerous. Clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Pretty rare for a dude who just turned 30 to be growing this type of cancer. In all likelihood, if left unchecked, the cancer would have grown, spread, been asymptomatic and would have developed into a metastatic stage 4 cancer by the time I was 40.

All in all I should count my lucky stars that a fluke CT scan helped me figure this out. If you have a friend or loved one you care about, you should tell them that today. You never know what kind of lemon life is going to throw at you. Happy to have the chance to live a better, fuller life.

20180814_154319_zpstrj4yuwy.jpg

Congrats! I completed 6 cycles of chemotherapy for a stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with my last treatment being late April. Are you going to do any chemo preventatively or it isn't necessary?

I had prostate and skin cancer before i was 40. They cut everything out. Ive been ok, although i stopped getting checked not long after my last surgery, but i just found a lump in my chest in a lymph node thick area. So i just had a bunch of blood work done yesterday and i have a sono scheduled for tomorrow so we'll see.

Stay strong. Let me know how it goes

Back