So how would you judge Nate Diaz career ?

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
To me he's in the top 10 LW of all time.

He has wins over Mcgregor, Cerrone, Johnson, Maynard, Miller, Guillard, Gomi (out of prime though), Pellegrino..

He is damn hard to fight, with a long reach, an amazing cardio, hendo-like chin, and top notch jiu jitsu.. Just like Nick, he is a volume puncher, a great user of the jab and the quick one-two combination.

I wish he would have used his grappling skills more often (like in the guillard fight), because that would have spared him some scars and years of his life.

Anyway, a great warrior, and a missed attribute of the LW division. He may be back against Conor to end the trilogy, or maybe for a big fight, but until then he had a great career overall. With a better resume than his brother Nick.

A very good fighter who never evolved with the times

The Nate Diaz we see now isn't really much better than Diaz of 7 years ago IMO. It would never happen but I wonder what he could've been if he went to a MMA gym away from his brother and the skrap pack

Not a top guy, but has good wins, he has nailed his gimmick better than his brother has, Conor fights made him a legend.
♂️

Depositphotos_22293997_original1.jpg

He was never supposed to be bigger or more famous than his brother. The most important thing to happen to Nate was dos anjos getting injured.

Not a top guy, but has good wins, he has nailed his gimmick better than his brother has, Conor fights made him a legend.
♂️

I was 100% with you up until the "legend" part.

I think Nick and Nate are both overrated due to their personalities. Both are very good fighters, but they are talked about as if they were elite. Nick faced some amazing fighters but lost every big fight he was in aside from Lawler. His win against Penn was solid at the time, but BJ was definitely on the downside of his career. He could never beat the elite guys. And here we are, still talking about how he deserves a big fight even though he hasn't won in almost 7 years.

Honestly, Nate has more impressive wins if we are gonna be real about it.

EDIT: I read this as Nick Diaz, not Nate. Nate should be remembered as a good fighter who could never take that next step to win a title. A good fighter nonetheless but also a bit overrated because he beat Conor who was coming up 2 weight classes.

I was 100% with you up until the "legend" part.

Dude has gone down in history. From Conor fights forward he’s made. Everyone loves those fights. He’s not even ranked at 170, but he had the champ chasing a fight with him instead of the other way around.

Good fighter but a lot of wasted potential with the infrequency of fights lately.

Was ranked number 8 before the fight with Convict was signed.

That right there tells you exactly how to judge his career. A competent and generally entertaining top ten fighter. No more and no less. He got lucky enough to win the lottery by beating Convict as a short notice replacement. Because of course Convict would choose a meaningless rematch at WW. Than actually defending his undefended FW belt.

So he got the real big score in the rematch. He was pretty much a nobody on a 20/20 contract. And took advantage of the biggest opportunity of his career. Not many people cared about him before Convict. Nobody misses him now that he’s retired.

What else is there to say.

I think ignorant fans who don't watch MMA don't realize how good he his. People love to downplay his skills because they like to use that to hate on McGregor but Diaz boxes up 90% of the fighters he's ever faced.

Boarderline top 10 all time? Christ TS must be higher than Nate.

Can definitely beat someone like Dustin prorier to get a title shot if that's what they want

He's a good fighter. Great chin and great cardio. Terrible leg checking and wrestling.

Beating Conor elevated him by 1000%. But he deserved it because he did beat Conor. Just has done fuck all with all the new eyes on him.

Meh, he can't defend the takedown, can't check or defend leg kicks, has no kicks of his own... Worst attitude of any fighter I've ever seen, fuck em.

Back