So how handy are you?

I'm an electrician, woodworking hobbyist, and know a bit of everything.

My wife says I'm very handy.

Downside of this is, i often get asked to fix things for others.
similar to my being big and owning a truck and getting asked to move shit for people because of it.

Built my house while working a full time job in IT. Didn't pour the foundation, frame it or brick it. But everything else was me. Didn't know how to do a lot of it, just learned whatever i didn't know as i went.
Did the builder look at you weird when you asked them to just build a shell?

similar to my being big and owning a truck and getting asked to move shit for people because of it.
Most annoying thing ever.

Wife: "hey my co worker is moving and she needs help"

Me: "why doesn't her boyfriend help her"?

Wife: "she doesn't have one"

Me: "she doesn't have a truck either does she"?

Wife: "No".

Me: <LikeReally5>

Followed by

<{vega}>

My uncle could build a house himself, do the electrical, plumbing, drywall, foundation, roof, and landscaping himself all to standard.

I would be challenged building a doghouse.

I'm an electrician, woodworking hobbyist, and know a bit of everything.

My wife says I'm very handy.

Downside of this is, i often get asked to fix things for others.

Welder/machinist by trade and feel your pain. Every. god. damn. weekend.
"hey whatcha doing this weekend....."

I feel your pain as well ...

I must have saved my friends and selected family members thousands on electrical work.

I did that for many years helping people build sun rooms, repair vehicles, move from one house to another, wired, plumbed and installed heating and air conditioning systems in houses. Then the people I helped never had time to help me with a 10 minute job like switching a refrigerator or washing machine. I figured out people only pretended to be friends because of what I could do for them so I learned how to say no.

If the women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy - Red Green

I did that for many years helping people build sun rooms, repair vehicles, move from one house to another, wired, plumbed and installed heating and air conditioning systems in houses. Then the people I helped never had time to help me with a 10 minute job like switching a refrigerator or washing machine. I figured out people only pretended to be friends because of what I could do for them so I learned how to say no.
I've definitely said no many many times.

Lucky for me ( i mean not really), i had a work injury and haven't had to help anyone in over a year.

I am a jack of all trades. Ive repaired lawnmowers, installed a new garbage disposal, repaired the clothes drier, and currently working on the schematics for installing a sprinkler system for our yard. Ive ran electrical wire, can terminate and run cat 5, I installed the entire speaker system for an office, can service my AC unit, painted the rooms of my house, installed chair rail, build my own computers, serviced my car, installed my own car stereo.

I sometimes wish I could focus everything into one skill/trade...

Welder/machinist by trade and feel your pain. Every. god. damn. weekend.
"hey whatcha doing this weekend....."

I feel your pain as well ...

I must have saved my friends and selected family members thousands on electrical work.

Adding to friends list!

giphy.gif

I can do enough to get by, especially since you can Google/YouTube "How to's".

That being said, I regret not learning more from my dad growing up. He always tried, but I didn't care and would rather do bullshit instead. As a result eventually he stopped asking, my younger brothers on the other hand were eager to learn and I'm jealous of all they know how to do because they learned it growing up.
Same for me. I used to tell my dad I would just pay people to do this stuff for me, but sadly I'm one of those poor saps that has to occasionally be a man and pick up a screwdriver.

I grew up on and still operate a (small) farm. If you're not handy on a farm, you may as well move to town. Build my own fence, fix my own machinery, put up my own hay, work my own cattle, fabricate metal parts needed, etc... Just part of life here.

I'm better at engineering and fab than repair, but I can get down.

I cannot do electronic or plumbing work. I can do most other stuff. Most car repairs, brakes, oil, engine stuff I can get by. Majority of handyman home repair stuff I can do.

I can also build decent furniture, wood working projects, etc. I'm learning to weld and forge as well.

Can pretty much do anything around the house, but I won't touch gas some electrical and high roofing. Dabble in electronics every now and again.

Just today, I laid down a new wood floor, rebuilt a screen for a window, replaced my back drum brakes on my car, made my own mowing deck lift arms for my old John Deere tractor, rebuilt a carb for a push mower, replaced the suspension on my washing machine, and started a hard wipe of a puter my kids GF was going to throw out. It was quite a day.

Couture Handy.

Edit: also, Handy... Some

The worst part about being handy is all your friends think a six pack and some company is enough to do a time consuming job.

Or when your friend calls you " hey man im changing my headgasket can you bring your tq wrench so i can get this head back on"
Then you show up and the head isn't even taken off and you end up doing most of it.

Not hardly at all. I can do some stuff, learning more everyday.

But I hate tools, they are just so stupid. Like what kind of masochist fuck decides to pick up a monkey wrench for fun.

Back