So how handy are you?

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just today, I laid down a new wood floor, rebuilt a screen for a window, replaced my back drum brakes on my car, made my own mowing deck lift arms for my old John Deere tractor, rebuilt a carb for a push mower, replaced the suspension on my washing machine, and started a hard wipe of a puter my kids GF was going to throw out. It was quite a day.

I once clicked save my login details for Sherdog.

Top that.

I can disassemble a G.I. Joe with a tiny screwdriver

I can do enough to get by, especially since you can Google/YouTube "How to's".

That being said, I regret not learning more from my dad growing up. He always tried, but I didn't care and would rather do bullshit instead. As a result eventually he stopped asking, my younger brothers on the other hand were eager to learn and I'm jealous of all they know how to do because they learned it growing up.

I am pretty useless to be perfectly honest, lucky I have mates who are tradesman and are able to do this shit for me. I'm quite effective at putting together IKEA furniture though.

I’m pretty good at fixing most electronics. So that’s what I do.

I'm an electrician, woodworking hobbyist, and know a bit of everything.

My wife says I'm very handy.

Downside of this is, i often get asked to fix things for others.

I'm alot better at breaking shit then fixing it so I don't waste time trying to fix broken shit I just replace it or have someone else work on it.

As handy as a prostitute on $1 handjob days.

Joke aside, I'm decently handy. I actually enjoy learning new skills from time to time.

Just today, I laid down a new wood floor, rebuilt a screen for a window, replaced my back drum brakes on my car, made my own mowing deck lift arms for my old John Deere tractor, rebuilt a carb for a push mower, replaced the suspension on my washing machine, and started a hard wipe of a puter my kids GF was going to throw out. It was quite a day.

I'm handy and can fix simple things.

You aren't handy, you're a gosh darn genius. Saving quite a bit of cash as well. Well done.

Just yesterday, built 5, 2 cubic yard raised beds, set up the irrigation, built a greenhouse, shot two coyote, set up my new forge, and cleared 5 acres of brush.

I just got a house in October and since then I built a home gym, painted the house, re-tiled the kitchen walls + backsplash and now I'm getting ready to install new floors on the lower level (removed the existing carpet, insulation and tile). Patched a few bigger drywall holes as well and mounted a few TVs and whatever. Honestly, I fucking hate it. While to a very small degree it fills me with pride that I'm doing this stuff, this is pointless manual labor in a time when it's entirely outsourceable and it teaches me nothing meaningful that carries over into my everyday life. Maybe some patience, but that's about it. In the overall scheme of things I much more enjoy reading and learning about the world around me, discussing interesting issues and shit, than ruminating over the finer points of tile installation. I do enough manual labor in the gym. Everything outside that is a fucking chore.

I'm an electrician, woodworking hobbyist, and know a bit of everything.

My wife says I'm very handy.

Downside of this is, i often get asked to fix things for others.
Welder/machinist by trade and feel your pain. Every. god. damn. weekend.
"hey whatcha doing this weekend....."

Welder/machinist by trade and feel your pain. Every. god. damn. weekend.
"hey whatcha doing this weekend....."
I feel your pain as well ...

I must have saved my friends and selected family members thousands on electrical work.

Built my house while working a full time job in IT. Didn't pour the foundation, frame it or brick it. But everything else was me. Didn't know how to do a lot of it, just learned whatever i didn't know as i went.

Back