So, has Woodley surpassed Hughes as the 2nd greatest WW yet?

You can't really compare generations that far apart. The game was totally different, the available knowledge base of training all facets of MMA were different.

What we can do is make a guesstimate on how they matchup on an equal plane. If Hughes was the same age and fought in the same era, he would probably match up pretty well with Tyron, I'd watch that fight.

Tyron is definitely the more complete fighter, considering what has been available to him.

Woodley has 4 consecutive defenses, Hughes had 5. But Woodley's competition has been 100x more stiff, which makes up for the one less title defense. Considering all of Woodley's beaten opponents would have murked Hughes in a round or so, I'd think Woodley would have an easy claim to 2nd WW GOAT
Every generation is better than the last.

Whoever is on top now is the best ever

Matt Hughes beat cans and LWs and lost to a LW. lmao What are you talking about? Maybe third? Who the fuck are you going to put there? Pat Miletich? LMAO

Tyron is undoubtedly the second best WW on his way to first.

Comparing eras is actually very easy when you don't have nostalgic bias.
Well it isn't so clear cut. What about Shields?

I thought things would improve on Sherdog when they took away White Belts ability to make threads (ok I didn't really believe it would improve).
I wonder if they can put a minimum age or IQ, say 11 for both. That would have prevented this thread one way or another.

He beats Colby and he passes Hughes imo. Different era but the truth is Woodley has fought much stiffer competition.

23 fights in

Hughes is 22-1 with 1 UFC fight and no MMA accolades to his name

Woodley is 19-3-1 with 5 UFC title fights and 1 Strikeforce title fight.

Um..a draw is considered a defense. Always has been considered a defense.

So that's 4 defenses.
since never? it doesn't even make sense

If posters are going to use the argument that the competition is harder now, then Woodley would have to be more skilled as well; so the discussion seems to be more about skill level and not greatness (which takes into consideration skill but many other factors). The problem with the skill argument is that you could take any number of top 5 in a weight class and they are more skilled than some of the greats from years ago, that doesn't make them a GOAT.
Pick any sport, heck pick any activity and this applies.

He retained the title it is not a defense fuckhead. I don’t care what the UFC website says. Since when did They ever tell the truth about anything?

Um, its their organization, so if UFC says its a title defense then you damn well make sure its a title defense

You were wrong, just let it go already. If you come inside the octagon as a champ and leave as a champ, you technically defended your belt. Retaining the title IS a title defense

Hughes, maybe. That's a hard thing to judge since Hughes is from such a different era.

GSP though? Give me a fucking break. He's got a good 3-4 defenses before we can even start that conversation

He retained the title it is not a defense fuckhead. I don’t care what the UFC website says. Since when did They ever tell the truth about anything?

Also from the Frankie Edgar UFC page;

"Made three successful title defenses (2-0-1) before loss to Henderson" notice the 0-1 over there?

So they have good enough reason to lie about Frankie Edgar's career as well, not just Woodleys?

Um, its their organization, so if UFC says its a title defense then you damn well make sure its a title defense

You were wrong, just let it go already. If you come inside the octagon as a champ and leave as a champ, you technically defended your belt. Retaining the title IS a title defense
Lol I bet that literally the only people making and buying this argument are ones that want to bolster Tyron's numbers. I was quite disappointed to see the UFC counting it as a defense the other night. It's a bad precedence and it is completely disingenuous. But it's the WME so I have come to expect them to make short sighted decisions for immediate results.

Having a draw is not a defense. You have to win to defend the belt. The UFC can say whatever they want be we as hardcore fans should all know better than that. That shit is a joke

Lol I bet that literally the only people making and buying this argument are ones that want to bolster Tyron's numbers. I was quite disappointed to see the UFC counting it as a defense the other night. It's a bad precedence and it is completely disingenuous. But it's the WME so I have come to expect them to make short sighted decisions for immediate results.

Having a draw is not a defense. You have to win to defend the belt. Defending means keeping whats yoThe UFC can say whatever they want be we as hardcore fans should all know better than that. That shit is a joke

No, you don't have to win to defend the belt. And its not just UFC calling it a title defense. Check literally any other source on the internet about fighters title defences

A quick google search shows me this;

http://www.fightmatrix.com/ufc-records/title-defenses/

Check Edgar and Woodley's title defenses

Defending means keeping whats yours. And when you draw, you keep whats yours

No, you don't have to win to defend the belt. And its not just UFC calling it a title defense. Check literally any other source on the internet about fighters title defences

A quick google search shows me this;

http://www.fightmatrix.com/ufc-records/title-defenses/

Check Edgar and Woodley's title defenses
Lmao give me a break dude. So you realize, you are right now literally saying that it is just as good to get a draw as it is to get a win, as long as you have the promotional tool on their waist. :rolleyes:

Lmao give me a break dude. So you realize, you are right now literally saying that it is just as good to get a draw as it is to get a win, as long as you have the promotional tool on their waist. :rolleyes:

No I'm not saying that, ofc a win is a better way to defend your title. I'm just saying champions officially defend their belt when they draw. Always been like that

This other dude insisting on that its not a title defense and he got me triggered

Twood doesn't have any competition the Woodley weight division. Only closest fight would be nick Diaz and that's a toss up. Gsp can't use the blanket technique on him so that fight won't happen if it did he'd be ko by Woodley in the 2nd round

Back