So f*ck submarines. Lifting heavy/Gaining Mass/Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like you've been killing it in the gym for a while so it figures you'd eventually have one bad session. At least you hit the minimum reps. That 427x10 squat is awesome, maybe you weren't fully recovered from that.

Do the doctors know whats causing your headaches? Maybe it's too much awesome trying to get out :)

Haha thanks Dr. I've heard everything from stress to possible spinal damage to there being no explanation at all, I'm basically just trying one stupid thing at a time right now.

Friday - 3/9/12 - Deadlift

Deadlift
135 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3
295 x 2
295 x 1
360 x 3
410 x 1
465 x 1
515 x 1 +35 lb PR
535 x 1 Hitched. Not calling it a fail, but won't call it good for the competition.

Front Squats
105 x 5
195 x 10
225 x 8
260 x 7

Floor GHR
BW x 10
BW x 10

Ab wheel, weighted situps, randomly while BSing for an hour about lifting

So today was kind of random. I was pissed off about yesterday and also found out I couldn't go to Flex tomorrow because I have to pick up some fuckers from the airport at 8 AM. I went in and decided fuck it I'm going to max out. In hindsight not a great idea since I squatted 425 x 10 Tuesday but oh well. I hit my training max without too much difficulty. I was a little spent by the time I tried 535 (I should have done 525 but got egged on by my friends) and off the floor was good but I broke down above the knees and instinctively hitched it. I'm confident I have it in me on a better day.

So I need to deload soon. I'm stressed, my recovery hasn't been that great, and I think finally need a break. I'm gonna mess around for a few days then deload. Sunday I plan on going to Matt's and doing some max push press and other random stuff. I might try to do something else like a max squat with knee wraps and then I'll deload and start prepping for the competition. I'm not going to abandon 5/3/1 but more put it on hold until after the competition. I'll probably do some ME/DE stuff for 2 months getting used to max singles again, practicing with knee wraps, etc. Any input would be great, it's up in the air right now.

Oh, I was supposed get a video of 515 but my friend's camera didn't save it. I have the video of 535 once he sends it to me so I'll post that for critique.

You should have dry fucked.the bar at the end.to prove your dominance overit.

Haha, thanks?

Sunday - 3/11/12 - Push Press

Push Press
Bar x 6 (Strict)
65 x 5
95 x 3 (Push)
135 x 3
135 x 2
185 x 1
205 x 1
225 x Fail
225 x 1 +10 lb PR
185 x 5

Close-grip Bench Press
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
235 x 3

Tricep Pressdowns
Stack+4 x 10
Stack+4 x 10

EZ Bar Curls
75 x 10
95 x 10

Band-assisted Pullups

Short workout today. My form on push press sucks; I need to work more on leg drive and being explosive. The first try with 225 was very slow, the second one was a bit quicker but there's lots of room for improvement. I only had about a half hour after that so did a little close-grip, some triceps/biceps, and a couple set of pullups. The plan is to do a max squat with wraps just to see where I'm at either Tuesday or Wednesday. After that I may do one more workout then deload. I'm feeling beat up right now.

The reason for the short work out is that duty driving has been fucking me all weekend. Yesterday I spent 6 hours going to the airport, picking up a bunch of dudes, and dropping them all off since none of them had arranged anything. Then I had to drive two dudes to the airport this morning (One was 45 mins late), rush back, eat real quick, go work out, shower, and then rush to the airport to pick up another fuck. Then I had to go get gas which took like 30 mins because government vehicles are pieces of shit, drop the van off, and finally got home around 830. I was gone literally all day. To top it off I have to drive two more fucks to the airport tomorrow morning at 630 AM for a 4th trip. Joy!

That deadlift was pretty solid, the hitching was minimal. You'll have it cleanly in no time.

For your push press I bet you can do more. If you can bench 255x2 and 235x7 plus squat over 4 plates for reps I'm sure it's just a matter of technique. I think for a lot of people their push press is similar to their bench so you've probably got around 20-30 pounds in your right now.

Thanks guys I appreciate the support. It's definitely a technique issue, something I'll have to work on down the road.

Tuesday - 3/13/12 - Squat

Squat (No wraps)
Bar x 5
Bar x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 4
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 1
405 x 1
455 x 1 +20 lb PR
475 x 1 +40 lb PR
500 x 1 +65 lb PR

Power Cleans
65 x 3
65 x 3
95 x 2
115 x 2
135 x 2
155 x 2
185 x 1
195 x 1

Conditioning
Ghetto Prowler Push
Stack of weights on top of a towel x 2 round trips across the basketball course
And then I nearly died

So the plan was to squat at Matt's house with knee wraps to a heavy single and then call it a day and deload. Matt had to pick up someone from jail so what do I do instead? I go to the base gym and decide to squat normally to a max single. From the start of warm ups I felt horrible. There's probably 1000 excuses I could make but I stubbornly kept going. 405 felt heavier than 425 last week, 455 felt impossible, I don't even know how I got up to 500. That last rep was the slowest, ugliest rep I've ever done. My friend swears it was legit (No video though) but I should have been good for more and I'm not very pleased with it.

I've been letting stress and ego get me into a lot of dumb situations lately. I need to just fucking relax. I feel beat down right now both mentally and physically. I'm taking at least the next 5 days to deload. I'm only going to do conditioning and maybe some light calisthenics (Pushups, pullups, crunches). I will stretch and foam roll every day. I will get decent sleep. I will clean up my diet.

Once that is done I WILL run smolov with 500 as my squat max and 255 as my bench max. I need to refocus. I need to stop lifting with ego. I need to find balance between hard work and killing myself. I want every training day to count and I need to think long term. I will get better

Congrats on the squat PR man

I feel you about feeling run down, I've been going for 11 weeks straight with no deloads, maxing out on weight and reps along the way

A deload will do you some good, I'm doing one right now, sure you will come back strong and feeling a lot better

Thanks guys. I definitely need rest, I've been lifting out of stubbornness and ego the past couple weeks. I'm thinking of just doing a few days this week of conditioning/calisthenics to keep active and starting up smolov either monday or tuesday of next week. Now I just gotta look it up and get a plan for doing it.

Awesome benches bro, solid form. I sent you a PM but just wondering what templates you used when you did double smolov. Thanks again.
all numbers are SETSxREPSxWEIGHT

Week 1:

Squat

Monday - 4x9x350
Wednesday - 5x7x375
Friday - 7x5x400
Saturday - 10x3x425

Bench

Monday - 6x6x180
Wednesday - 7x5x195
Friday - 8x4x205
Saturday - 10x3x220

Week 2

Squat

Monday - 4x9x370
Wednesday - 5x7x395
Friday - 7x5x420
Saturday - 10x3x445

Bench

Monday - 6x6x190
Wednesday - 7x5x205
Friday - 8x4x215
Saturday - 10x3x230

Week 3

Squat

Monday - 4x9x380
Wednesday - 5x7x405
Friday - 7x5x430
Saturday - 10x3x455

Bench

Monday - 6x6x195
Wednesday - 7x5x210
Friday - 8x4x220
Saturday - 10x3x235

then wait 5-7 days, depending on your preference and test your max

the reason the sets/reps are different is because its Smolov for squat and Smolov Jr. for bench, which is better suited for your non-squat lifts.

Wow, you are awesome. I had just finally found both routines and I refresh my page to see that you did all the work for me! Lol. Thanks a lot bro. That looks brutal but doable...

Do you think if I deload until Monday that will be enough recovery? The first week looks relatively light so I think I should be good and I want to keep with the schedule as written.

I'm excited to finally try this, I've always wanted to. It seems like the perfect time as well.

Wow, you are awesome. I had just finally found both routines and I refresh my page to see that you did all the work for me! Lol. Thanks a lot bro. That looks brutal but doable...

Do you think if I deload until Monday that will be enough recovery? The first week looks relatively light so I think I should be good and I want to keep with the schedule as written.

I'm excited to finally try this, I've always wanted to. It seems like the perfect time as well.

keep in mind its not the weight with Smolov, its the volume. doing 85%x3 is nothing, doing it 10 times on bench and 10 times on squat in the same session is a brutal grinding workout

Just go by how your body feels, i personally cant take a week off, i get antsy and then feel rusty when i come back. If it was me i would be fine with starting it up monday, but if you arent feeling it you can always wait until wednesday or something and do wednesday/friday/sunday/monday. it doesnt matter what days as long as its:
lift/off/lift/off/lift/lift/off

like i said theres 3 stages, haha

stage one happens at like the 2nd or 3rd day, its the "what the fuck did i get myself into" phase

stage two happens around day 6 or 7, its the "this isnt too bad, whats the fuss all about" phase when your body gets used to the volume

stage three happens around day 10 or 11, its the "i will give you anything to make the squatting and benching stop"

:D

Hahaha, yeah I get you. I think I'll be fine starting it Monday as well. This idea is so crazy it HAS to work. If I can get 25 pounds on my bench and 30 pounds on my squat I'll be happy because that should put me at >1300 total which is my goal.

Hahaha, yeah I get you. I think I'll be fine starting it Monday as well. This idea is so crazy it HAS to work. If I can get 25 pounds on my bench and 30 pounds on my squat I'll be happy because that should put me at >1300 total which is my goal.

i could see that, different people seem to respond to each one different. I put 30 pounds on my bench the first time i ran it and im hoping for 25 this time. But my squat has only got 35 pounds and 25 pounds.

Whereas my friend have done it for squat twice and got 45 pounds each time, but he only got 15 on bench, so you never know

But 55 pounds on your total seems like a good goal, and im sure it will be obtainable unless you decide to stop eating completely, haha

I will probably do carb backloading the entire time. I'm going to eat mostly meat/fruits/veggies/nuts all day but eat a fuckton of carbs post workout, along with normal supplementation.

Also I just spoke with Matt and I should be able to do this all in his garage (To get away from the base gym) but I'm gonna have to do it Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. Should be no problem, and that's one more day of deload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back