So does wearing a gas mask really improve cardio?

Hallzzz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A training partner of mine trains with a gas mask and a chest weight. Idk I guess I'm just lazy and don't train hard but that seems like it wouldn't work. Any science behind it?

Also I noticed wandy does the same thing. So I guess it does work? Or is it more mental?

It's to protect yourself from deadly farts when you're caught in a triangle, northsouth, etc.

I don't know the technical terms for what happens but yes, it does help.

It simulates a situation in a fight where you gas out. You don't get enough oxygen with regular breathing and that's why you're gasping for air. The gas mask works in a similar way - it limits your oxygen intake. So I don't know if it actually improves cardio per se, but it helps increase your maximum performance rate.

I can definatly confirm it helps against fartoplata's and asschokes but it makes you more vurnable for guillotines because you can't pop out. And also kneebars because you can't look down as far

I imagine it improves lung function, similar to training at high altitude where the air is thinner.

A training partner of mine trains with a gas mask and a chest weight. Idk I guess I'm just lazy and don't train hard but that seems like it wouldn't work. Any science behind it?

Also I noticed wandy does the same thing. So I guess it does work? Or is it more mental?

Its to limit the amount of oxygen your body has to work with and your body adapts to being basically winded all the time. It is incredibly helpful. When your body learns to function with less oxygen, then you go into a sporting event with a huge advantage cario wise.

Its the same logic behind training at high altitude.

Yes.

In fact Nick Diaz actually uses a fart mask to improve his cardio and getting high at the same time without getting busted for illegal substance use. And Cesar keeps eating broccoli and shit.

Last edited:
Its to limit the amount of oxygen your body has to work with and your body adapts to being basically winded all the time. It is incredibly helpful. When your body learns to function with less oxygen, then you go into a sporting event with a huge advantage cario wise.

Its the same logic behind training at high altitude.

This

Training with less oxygen available makes your body produce more hemoglobin to compensate. That's was climbers do before going to the mountains.

Training with less oxygen available makes your body produce more hemoglobin to compensate. That's was climbers do before going to the mountains.

yes, but it does not apply to wearing a gas mask for 1 hour during training.
coaches or trainers who promote this, must be shot for stupidity.

I think the idea is that when wearing the mask it limits the amount of oxygen you take in, thus forcing your lungs to work harder. And when your lungs are used to working that hard, then they have much more gas when not wearing the mask.

Saying there's no science to support it doesn't mean much. Science for athletic performance is pretty thin in general. The people who develop the best techniques for training aren't scientists and they usually don't want other people to find out what their tricks are. Still, its possible that the training mask was invented by a super smart trainer who's just trolling everyone else into doing something stupid.

I have an O2 Trainer, and it works, but has some flaws.

Back