So did Punk not bring in many PPV buys?

Hogan could still draw the old school fans.

Punk is irrelevant in both MMA and pro wrestling, exposed as a 170 pounder who has little athletic talent.

Ok, fair point re Hogan - another who shit the bed many times is Jeff Hardy, they took him back. There are many many examples of this. From what I read the crowds in the arena's still chant for Punk, and that will be music (and dollars) to Vince's ears.

Ok, fair point re Hogan - another who shit the bed many times is Jeff Hardy, they took him back. There are many many examples of this. From what I read the crowds in the arena's still chant for Punk, and that will be music (and dollars) to Vince's ears.

Vince just bankrolled a lawsuit against Punk on spite
He won't be back for a looooong time (if ever)

The others that came back stayed in wrestling.
Punk hasn't

It's simple.

- PPV model is doomed business model from day one when its a big portion of what you do. Sure, you can make money and build your product off of it. But long term your fans will turn on it which is why the UFC has done everything they can to make PPV a much smaller portion of the pie.
This happen with the WWE and your seeing the UFC go through it right now.

- MMA attracts a very young audience overall. Most of those fans have grown up in a heavy technology environment. It's very easy for them to find ways around paying for a PPV. Older fans are sick of spending the money every month eventually get fed up enough for them to figure ways out also. You saw the effects of that first hand with the UFC going balls to the wall in trying to bust people. I don't remember any other business being so vocal about it in my life. It clearly was effecting the business massively for them to take that strong and vocal of a stance about it.

- Just the overall saturation of MMA. We get a lot of free fights from the UFC every year. So people get there fix without always having to spend the money on a PPV. With this they also have been educated on the quality of the card and cherry pick events more than ever. You also saw this trend in the WWE. WWE PPV's began the decline a few after years after when fans started getting Monday Night Raw and later Smackdown. They realize this satisfied a lot of their viewing needs and eventually saw they got a lot of the same match ups and story lines for free. So they cherry picked what PPV's to buy. Which eventually shifted the WWE's whole model.

Last edited:
Card would’ve done 500K if it didn’t have Colby. That guys an anti-draw.

WWE will take him back. They take everyone back. Hogan shit the bed many times, but they take him back.
Punk is damn sure no Hulk Fuking Hogan. Hogan and the Road Warriors are forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's simple.

- PPV model is doomed business model from day one when its a big portion of what you do. Sure, you can make money and build your product off of it. But long term your fans will turn on it which is why the UFC has done everything they can to make PPV a much smaller portion of the pie.
This happen with the WWE and your seeing the UFC go through it right now.

- MMA attracts a very young audience overall. Most of those fans have grown up in a heavy technology environment. It's very easy for them to find ways around paying for a PPV. Older fans you are sick of spending the money every month eventually get fed up enough for them to figure ways out also. You can saw the effects of that first hand the UFC going balls to the wall in trying to bust people. I don't remember any other business being so vocal about it in my life. It clearly was effecting the business massively for them to take that strong and vocal of a stance about it.

- Just the overall saturation of MMA. We get a lot of free fights from the UFC every year. So people get there fix without always having to spend the money on a PPV. With this they also have been educated on the quality of the card and cherry pick events more than ever. You also saw this trend in the WWE. WWE PPV's began the decline a few after years after when fans started getting Monday Night Raw and later Smackdown. They realize this satisfied a lot of their viewing needs and eventually saw they got a lot of the same match ups and story lines for free. So they cherry picked what PPV's to buy. Which eventually shifted the WWE's whole model.

Excellent post

I doubt the number of PPV buys he has generated in either fight has added up to what they've paid him. His hire was a big mistake for the UFC. Made the organization seem like a circus rather than generating good publicity and it's not like CM Punk is a huge star that's selling hundreds of thousands of buys.

Punk still did draw in some pro wrestling fans, but not nearly as many as he did the first time obviously. They saw that first fight and that was enough for them.

The reality has always been that there are only a select few people who can draw people to a card. This card was stacked but a casual person wouldn't know who most of the fighters were. Jones, McGregor, and Ronda headlining resulted in huge number regardless because a casual fan knows them and would buy the card. That card had a lot of talent but not names.

Punk still did draw in some pro wrestling fans, but not nearly as many as he did the first time obviously. They saw that first fight and that was enough for them.

I doubt he brought in many buys for the first fight either. It did 400/450K I believe for Stipe vs Reem in his first defense. That sounds on par with how that card would be expected do without Punk.

Most wresting fans who were vaguely interested from what I could see simply watched the highlights or streamed. People have been acting like CM Punk is some big star or something. As someone who doesn't watch wrestling, I never heard of the guy before the UFC signed him.

I'm sure a lot of MMA fans had an interest in how badly he would look, but I highly doubt any bought the PPVs just to see him.

Wwe has never been about fighting, it’s about characters. No matter what happens in real life, if you are an appealing character you will be big to the wwe fan base. If you are not appealing, you show great feats of strength, ( Brock lesnar) wink wink. You get a mouthpiece. Wwe is all a show, so cm punk can come back. Rhonda is thriving there now.

Rounda would dominate CM in a cage or street fight

Punk isn't a draw in MMA, past the first freakshow fight that he lost in embarrassing fashion.

He is not some larger than life figure like Brock, who was competing with the elites. Punk is an amateur, who fought another amateur. There was no intrigue going into that fight. He wins, he still doesn't matter. He loses, he still doesn't matter. The experiment was over the moment Gall double legged him and made him look silly. It wasn't like when Brock got caught by Mir, and you could at least say Brock was looking good beforehand. Punk got flat out murked by Gall, and people saw him for what he was. Hype killed.

Obviously didn't sell as much as the first time because he got his ass kicked

Holly Holm didn't add anything to the PPV even though the UFC will swear she helps PPV's (BULLSHIT)!!!!

I seriously doubt that he brought in any buys. Given his first fight in the UFC he was going to have to gain some momentum for any of his wrestling followers to have enough interest to buy a card with him on it.

lol

WWE fans don't give a shite about MMA.

Homie will still make bank there.
Really though? No they know he's the equivalent of last guy to get picked on the sports team.
Exactly, potential "WWE cross over fans" is just a myth. None of the WWE cats give a shit about MMA, they're two separate forms of entertainment.
One is for morons, one isnt, you decide.

They didn’t cease the moment. Too long has been left since he left the wwe. He’s not the man anymore.

If the ufc and punk wanted money then they should’ve made hay while the sun was shining the morons

thats what they get for sellingout the sport. Moved the HW fight for that shit show because they thought he'd sell more tickets LOL.

lol

WWE fans don't give a shite about MMA.

Homie will still make bank there.
I told a co worker that Punk just fought this last weekend. he said it's ufc who gives a shit. He's a wrasslin fan. then asked about Brock.

Back