So did Okami lose on purpose?

because not only is he way past his prime, he was at a big size disadvantage, short notice, and probably wasn't much he could have done on the feet so there really wasn't much else he could do.

No. He probably thought OSP was weak on his back but had good take down defense. So his plan from the get go was to avoid OSP's power and pull half guard. He immediately looked to sweep OSP but couldn't and tried to recover full guard but couldn't. He had a solid plan but OSP had an answer for everything. Then he got caught in the choke. Okami's plan was obvious once he pulled half and elevated OSP, it just didn't work out. A lot of good BJJ guys do the same strategy when they can't take their opponents down but want to groud fight, problem seemed to be OSP's wieght and control.

because not only is he way past his prime, he was at a huge size disadvantage, short notice, and isn't known for his knockout power so there really wasn't much else he could do.

I wish he did a better job setting up the takedown and didn't end up on his back so quick but I don't think he was winning that fight, either way. Was just hoping for more of a fight.

Yushin is now 36 years old and has been fighting professionally for 15 years, since 2002.

To say he's out of his prime is an understatement. He continued to lose immediately after being scuttled from the UFC and fought at welterweight several times. Recently he's been fighting cans, which is an appropriate level if he wants to keep doing this for a living.

Booking Yushin to fight a top 10 light heavyweight was dangerous and stupid. This sort of thing should never have been sanctioned.

We are all very lucky he just got put away quickly with a choke instead of getting seriously hurt.

Shame on the UFC.
I agree it was a bad match up for Okami to take but he only lost twice outside of the UFC and they were to Branch at 185 and Fitch at 170. Fitch was cut from the UFC for being boring and expensive. Branch for being boring and outside the top 10. You kind of make it sound like Okami was getiing KO'd by nobodies.

No. He probably thought OSP was weak on his back but had good take down defense. So his plan from the get go was to avoid OSP's power and pull half guard. He immediately looked to sweep OSP but couldn't and tried to recover full guard but couldn't. He had a solid plan but OSP had an answer for everything. Then he got caught in the choke. Okami's plan was obvious once he pulled half and elevated OSP, it just didn't work out. A lot of good BJJ guys do the same strategy when they can't take their opponents down but want to groud fight, problem seemed to be OSP's wieght and control.

Thats a good explanation. But then why do you think he wrapped his arm around OSPs neck? What was he trying to do? Maybe he didn't realize that was exactly what OSP wanted him to do?

He fights for a living, do you expect him to be smart?

Thats a good explanation. But then why do you think he wrapped his arm around OSPs neck? What was he trying to do? Maybe he didn't realize that was exactly what OSP wanted him to do?
OSP fed his own head under Okami's arm, baited Okami to bear down on the headlock and quickly pinned the arm before moving back for the Von Flue. OSP is very slick with that choke.

Last edited:
OSP fed his own head under Okami's arm, baited Okami to bear down on the headlock and quickly pinned the arm before moving back for the Von Flue. OSP is very slick with that choke.

And that's a wrap to this thread. I think you are probably right Thanks!

I agree but the Okami I remember was always more of a patient fighter and waited for good opportunities in fights. He wouldn't just stupidly shoot for a takedown like that. Maybe my memories are wrong or maybe he's changed. I dunno I haven't seen his fights since he left the UFC
I am inclined to agree with you. I don't think the fight was a work by any means but he was looking for a way out as soon as the bell rang.

because stuff happens in a fight, it's not a fucking JCVD movie you doughnut

Not sure exactly what Okami was trying to do but I don't think he expected the choke. It's not something a lot of guys train for or expect, he might not have even been familiar with it. The position Okami was in is considered pretty safe and OSP kinda forced the choke on him. Even at the post-fight interview OSP was wondering why Okami grabbed his neck.

250.gif

Nah, he was brought in to lose, Japan card without a local headlining? Not even sure what he was doing fighting at LHW.

Why did he make such a horrible takedown attempt like that against a guy who was probably 20 or more lbs. heavier? I don't ever remember seeing Okami be that dumb in a fight. Seems weird to me. I dunno.

Maybe he took the fight vs OSP for the opportunity to get back in the UFC and wanted to make sure he got out of the fight without getting hurt?

I think the thought crossed a lot of peoples minds. Like DC said afterwards getting caught in that choke you just don't do it. It's an amateur move (to get caught) that Okami knows better then to get caught by that. But because it was on short notice and OSP is "bigger" it's not a lot of talk about it. But one starts to wonder when someone does a extremely bad takedown attempt like that without setup and by a veteran like Okami.

I didn't expect he would want to strike with OSP but that submission was too easy. Then again OSP is way bigger and stronger than Okami. He didn't have much of a chance anyway

I agree it was a bad match up for Okami to take but he only lost twice outside of the UFC and they were to Branch at 185 and Fitch at 170. Fitch was cut from the UFC for being boring and expensive. Branch for being boring and outside the top 10. You kind of make it sound like Okami was getiing KO'd by nobodies.

Jon Fitch was cut for going to a split draw with a completely shot BJ Penn, getting dominated by Maia and then one-punch KO'd by Hendricks. He then fights Burkman and gets tapped out in the first round.

For comparison, Burkman has gone a cartoonish 1-6 in his UFC run.

Thats the Jon Fitch that beat Okami. Branch TKO'd him. Okami has since been fighting never-has-beens and that is perfectly fine.

Booking him at 205lbs, for the first time ever, against a world ranked opponent is dangerous and stupid at face value. It shouldn't even need an explanation why we don't make bookings like this.

Back