So did Goddard mess up the Simon fight?

You don't get to go to the cards if you are unconscious when the ref breaks you up at the horn.
He wasn’t unconscious he made a gesture to the ref seconds after the fight ended as he was laying down lol. IF he went out before that and woke back up the ref has his window to stop it and he didn’t.

At the horn means when the horn sounded, and yeah he let go of the choke pretty quickly. And the guy was out. You aren't the winner in that case, any more than you would be the winner if a fighter knocked you out at the horn.

He let go of the choke pretty quickly but not exactly when the bell sounded. So even if we were to agree that he went out, how do I know it wasn't the half a second he held the choke after the bell sounded that caused him to go out?

We all watched the same replay and some people believe he never went out, some people believe he went out before the final bell and some people believe he went out but only after the final bell so no one really knows anything that's why this whole thing is stupid and should have been decided by what the ref's actions before the final bell sounded.

If the ref didn’t wave it off, it’s not a knock out and not a submission, it’s up to the ref to know when a fighter is out, if he didn’t call it during the fight then he didn’t think the fighter was out
After the fact is senseless

Senseless would be letting the one guy who went unconscious be called 'the winner'.

I'm glad they made the right call here.

Senseless would be letting the one guy who went unconscious be called 'the winner'.

In your opinion,

In mine he made it to the bell like he so desperately tried, and was robbed by incompetence

He wasn’t unconscious he made a gesture to the ref seconds after the fight ended as he was laying down lol. IF he went out before that and woke back up the ref has his window to stop it and he didn’t.

Saying he wasn't out, because he gestured to the ref a few seconds later, that's not how it works. All you are saying is that yeah, after he woke up, he was awake again. But the ref already saw he was out.

Lembo is the executive director of the New Jersey AC, and Jersey is one of the more competent commissions. I'll take his interpretation of the rules over the consensus on Sherdog.

John McCarthy

^

In your opinion,

In mine he made it to the bell like he so desperately tried, and was robbed by incompetence

He was out, he lost and the right call was made.

He let go of the choke pretty quickly but not exactly when the bell sounded. So even if we were to agree that he went out, how do I know it wasn't the half a second he held the choke after the bell sounded that caused him to go out?

We all watched the same replay and some people believe he never went out, some people believe he went out before the final bell and some people believe he went out but only after the final bell so no one really knows anything that's why this whole thing is stupid and should have been decided by what the ref's actions before the final bell sounded.

I don't think it's stupid at all, it's a very interesting case. I think a lot of people don't know what it looks like when someone gets choked out and comes right back, but it looks exactly like that. Believe me, if I thought he got robbed I would be pissed, but he is so clearly out there, that I am glad he didn't get handed a win. He showed a lot of balls, but ultimately he did get choked out.

In your opinion,

I would say he almost made it, but not quite.

What if he went unconscious but only after the final bell sounded? Then it wouldn't mean anything, right? Because that would no longer be part of the fight. Simon did not release the choke at the exact time the bell sounded.

And if he went unconscious before the final bell sounded then where was the ref for that at the time?

Why does this Peteyandjia guy keep repeating 'Merat was out' when most people in this thread don't even agree that's the case and have actually provided reasons for why they think that?

I don't think it's stupid at all, it's a very interesting case. I think a lot of people don't know what it looks like when someone gets choked out and comes right back, but it looks exactly like that. Believe me, if I thought he got robbed I would be pissed, but he is so clearly out there, that I am glad he didn't get handed a win. He showed a lot of balls, but ultimately he did get choked out.

If he went out before the final bell sounded when why did the ref not call it that way? He was right there looking to do just that. And if it's because he only saw that he was unconscious after the bell sounded then we don't really know when he went out at all. It's basically impossible for Simon to release the choke at the exact same time the bell sounded even if he wanted to.

uSMDfvw.gif
That guy was out and it looked like he was dreaming of kicking the kick stand of the bike he was riding in his sleep.

^

He was out, he lost and the right call was made.
Yea I would expect incompetent dicks to be honest about a fuck up

BJM is absolutely horrible btw, only matched by Herb Dean in incompetence

Glad he is out, used to be the best and ended as one of the worst

That’s an opinion since my last mention of one didn’t register

That guy was out and it looked like he was dreaming of kicking the kick stand of the bike he was riding in his sleep.

How do you know he wasn't just overly focused on maintaining those movements though? Why does he almost immediately snap back to consciousness with no physical impairments?

Yea I would expect incompetent dicks to be honest about a fuck up

BJM is absolutely horrible btw, only matched by Herb Dean in incompetence

Glad he is out, used to be the best and ended as one of the worst

That’s an opinion since my last mention of one didn’t register

Marc Goddard on FS1 said he was out and the right call was made as well.

What if he went unconscious but only after the final bell sounded? Then it wouldn't mean anything, right? Because that would no longer be part of the fight. Simon did not release the choke at the exact time the bell sounded.

And if he went unconscious before the final bell sounded then where was the ref for that at the time?

This is a silly line of argument since no one is even trying to make the case that he held the choke late at all. He let go of the choke when the ref told him to, and the guy was out. Hence the result.

How do you know he wasn't just overly focused on maintaining those movements though? Why does he almost immediately snap back to consciousness with no physical impairments?
Because when the horn goes off, the choke gets released and the fighter gets off him he is still staring at dead space and kicking his leg for close to 2 - 3 seconds. A concious fighter would have got up much earlier. More importantly a concious fighter would be utilizing his arms to protect his neck.

This is a silly line of argument since no one is even trying to make the case that he held the choke late at all. He let go of the choke when the ref told him to, and the guy was out. Hence the result.

I'm not talking about holding the choke very late but even a quarter of a second after the bell (which at a very minimum was definitely the case) could well have made the difference if given that the only evidence that he was even out at all apparently occurred after the final bell sounded.

Back